The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do your GCSE grades matter?
Reply 2
my sis got like 3 A*s 3Bs and the rest As at GCSEs and then 2 As and a C at A-level and she went to UCL and is now in her third year of being a Doctor :cool:

bare (bear?) in mind this was in the 90s lol when grades weren't as good as they are today. so nowadays they'll be expecting 3 As at A-level or 2As and a B at least if u wanna go to the top unis

good luck x
Reply 3
I got 8 A*s and 2 As for GCSE. AAB (biology, chemistry and physics) at A level with an A in general studies and a C in German at AS. I'm about to start medicine at UCL! I think AAB is pretty much a standard offer for medicine, apart from obviously Oxbridge and I know that lots of universities look at GCSEs like how many A*s you got etc.
Reply 4
Got 10 A*s and an A at GCSE. And 4 As at A level.
I feel depressed now! :frown:
Reply 6
diamonddust
I feel depressed now! :frown:

Why so?
LuluMumma
Why so?

Everyone posting has amazing GCSE grades! Just got to try and make up for my GCSEs by working hard and getting good grades at AS level.
I didn't get any A*s to don't worry whatsoever!!! :biggrin:
:eek: I just googled the HYMS and you need an A in Maths! Aren't the requirement at most places Bs?
Reply 10
diamonddust
Everyone posting has amazing GCSE grades! Just got to try and make up for my GCSEs by working hard and getting good grades at AS level.

what gcse grades did you get?

I'm worried about mine, I want to do medicine too but a lot of crap happened to me the year of my exams and it made me just feel hopeless and depressed so i didn't do as well as i wanted....

I know most people applying will have really good grades,
I ended up with 1A*, 5A's, 2B's and 3 C's...

English - AA
Sci - AB
Maths - B

So i got the ones that matter but still :\
Jinxy
what gcse grades did you get?

I'm worried about mine, I want to do medicine too but a lot of crap happened to me the year of my exams and it made me just feel hopeless and depressed so i didn't do as well as i wanted....

I know most people applying will have really good grades,
I ended up with 1A*, 5A's, 2B's and 3 C's...

English - AA
Sci - AB
Maths - B

So i got the ones that matter but still :\

Your grades are a lot better than mine
I got 2A*s, 3As,3Bs and 3Cs

I got an A* in English Lang, A in Lit and AA in science and B in maths.
I know how you feel, people are like "be happy, you didn't fail" and yet I can't help but feel I messed everything up.
:hugs:
We'll just make up for it in other ways!
I'm trying to override my natural pesimissim with optimism but it's not really working. I almost gave up on the entire idea but then I decided I want to be a doctor so I'll find a way.
The worst thing is I'm worried I'll muck up my AS levels and then I really will be screwed. I can't trust myself academically anymore.
My doctor called me up on results day (because she didn't want me to have a 'setback') and I couldn't talk to her.
Don't worry. It will work out. It has to.
Reply 12
diamonddust
Your grades are a lot better than mine
I got 2A*s, 3As,3Bs and 3Cs

I got an A* in English Lang, A in Lit and AA in science and B in maths.
I know how you feel, people are like "be happy, you didn't fail" and yet I can't help but feel I messed everything up.
:hugs:
We'll just make up for it in other ways!
I'm trying to override my natural pesimissim with optimism but it's not really working. I almost gave up on the entire idea but then I decided I want to be a doctor so I'll find a way.
The worst thing is I'm worried I'll muck up my AS levels and then I really will be screwed. I can't trust myself academically anymore.
My doctor called me up on results day (because she didn't want me to have a 'setback') and I couldn't talk to her.
Don't worry. It will work out. It has to.

aww thanks, then we're in similar situations..I keep considering other careers like physiotherapy but i know deep down it's not what I want so I'm going to try and give med a shot anyway...

Good luck to you too :] Sometimes little things like this only help us more because it makes us more determined than usual... x
I got 8A* and 3As at GCSE and AAAABa at A-Level, with a Top 5 in Geography.

To be honest this is a bad place to seek reassurance as TSR is, as far as grades go, not a fair representation of the population. If you meet minimum GCSE requirements for universities (checks prospectuses and UCAS) and are capable of getting AAB as a minimum at A-Level including Chemistry and most likely Biology as well then you have a good a chance as anyone providing you have the necessary work experience and a good PS.
Reply 14
Pepe Le Poosh

To be honest this is a bad place to seek reassurance as TSR is, as far as grades go, not a fair representation of the population. If you meet minimum GCSE requirements for universities (checks prospectuses and UCAS) and are capable of getting AAB as a minimum at A-Level including Chemistry and most likely Biology as well then you have a good a chance as anyone providing you have the necessary work experience and a good PS.

wow huge well done on your grades and yes what you say is true yet i cant stop asking for people's opinions on here!! :frown:
Jinxy
aww thanks, then we're in similar situations..I keep considering other careers like physiotherapy but i know deep down it's not what I want so I'm going to try and give med a shot anyway...

Good luck to you too :] Sometimes little things like this only help us more because it makes us more determined than usual... x

Let's make a pact! No matter what happens we WILL get into Medical School and become amazing doctors! :yep:
Reply 16
I'll hold you to that! :p: Yeah, okay good idea :smile:
''No matter what happens we WILL get into Medical School and become amazing doctors! '' :smile:
it's hard for me to think that way when I get really low about it...but I know there's a chance for us so it keeps me going!
Bah I only managed 5 A*-C - in fact they were only BBBBC, so I'm screwed way worse than any of you lot! There's only like 4 or 5 that don't rule mine out!

I know what you mean about not trusting yourself academically, I know I should've got higher (had other circumstances for the 2 years), yet I'm petrified of messing up my A-levels.
Pepe Le Poosh

Thanks! I agree with Jinxy though, when you're surrounded with people with amazing grades (like you, well done! :biggrin: ) it makes you feel like everyone else is better/has more of a chance than you and it stops you seeing the reality of your situation which means you constantly need reassurance that you do have a chance simply because everyone around you seems so amazing with loads of work experience etc.
Sorry if that made no sense lol
Reply 19
GemmyMonster
Bah I only managed 5 A*-C - in fact they were only BBBBC, so I'm screwed way worse than any of you lot! There's only like 4 or 5 that don't rule mine out!

I know what you mean about not trusting yourself academically, I know I should've got higher (had other circumstances for the 2 years), yet I'm petrified of messing up my A-levels.

I see well just work hard and you'll be able to get the grades you need :smile:

what was your C in? did you get the english sci and maths gcse's required?

also where are you considering applying that accept you with your gcse grades because im stuck for where to apply!

Latest