The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can do volunteer work for your DoE - that is as good as any other WEX for Medicine.
Reply 21
I don't know how much it will affect your CV but putting it on can only be a positive thing. For me DoE was about so much more than having something extra to write on my CV. Looking back on the expeditions, I enjoyed them so much! Yes it was difficult at times but I'm so glad that I did them. I've still got my final expedition to go so I hope that goes well! DoE encouraged me to carry out voluntary work which I have ended up really enjoying and I'm still doing it even though my 12 months are over. Personally, I would highly recommend DoE, for the experience if anything.
I've done my gold...not because I wanted CV points (I didn't even mention it on my PS) but because I wanted to do it. It's perfectly possible to balance out the workload but you're better off doing something you enjoy/subjec related than trying to bulk up your CV.

I'd say concentrate on getting your As first :smile:
Reply 23
Lots of people have DofE here but it's not essential. I don't have it.... I did do lots of voluntary work and extra-curricular activities, just not in a DofE format.

Oxbridge look at your ability in a subject moreso than any extra activities, IMHO. Of course, if you are able to demonstrate that you can get good grades while still doing extra-curricular stuff, then this indicates you will be able to cope with pace of work at Oxbridge perhaps more than someone who has had to work every minute to get the same grades.
The fact that a lot of Oxbridge students have DofE awards is just misinterpretted, really. People assume an incorrect causal link - that doing DofE is what helps them get in. In fact, it's simply the case that the type of people who are suited to being Oxbridge students are often the type who choose to take DofE.

Oxbridge look for ability and interest in your chosen subject. Except in individual subjects where work experience is considered important, this is pretty much all you need to know. If you want to impress them, do some extra research into your subject rather than thinking that they care about things which are completely unrelated to the subject you'll be studying.
I don't really think it's at all relevant, except possibly for medicine (but even there, there's work experience, which you should spend more time on.) If only someone had told me this before I had to endure the pain of it :o:
everyone does d of e, it's not unique or anything
but if you want to do it for fun do, but it doesnt sound like you do, so dont
It depends on the level you have achieved in your DofE.

Latest