The Student Room Group

Ucas 5 Choices

i really wanna get into architecture

but then most of the uni's architecture faculty has got requirement of AAA

i'm scared that i would get ABB
(i'm doing the AS and A2 in one year)

is it possible to apply to both architecture and other sub, say, social science??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can apply for different subjects in your different choices, but it might be hard to make your personal statement relevant to all the subjects.
Reply 2
Do you want to be a professional architect? If so you'll need an RIBA accredited degree

http://www.architecture.com/Files/RIBAProfessionalServices/Education/Validation/2007/Validated%20Programmes.pdf

Although you may get some JH with planning there will be no courses that you're thinking of (as far as I know).

There's is also a problem of covering different subjects in your personal statement (therefore risking diltuitng it/jumbling it up and therefore quite weak).

If you're really concenred then apply to a range of unis. They all don't need to be Cambridges, Cardiffs, Sheffields and Newcastles. Don't be put off by ex-polys such as Liverpool John Moores or Northumbria (any uni, providing they offer an accredited course). They'll all be of the same similar standard and employment prospects are generally the same (very good) but also are less competitive. Don't be too put off by snobbery. Although, if you don't like these unis then fair enough.
Reply 3
yeh i want to be a prof. architect, its my childhood dream

so basically i need to get into uni with Architecture Bachelor Degree that is accredited by the RIBA, (all of them are sufficient), is that correct?
because I have really no idea of the quality of each uni, so i was just thinking about getting into the ones with big names.. which is a stupid thing to do i know, but i didn't know what else i could do.

another question, do u think fine art in alevel helps in getting into architecture? or are they not as good as subjects like further maths or physics because fine-art is less academic?

I'm only doing 3 subjects in my AS &A2 (physics, maths, fine art)
art is really a lot of work, gonna do fine in maths and physics (BB at least), but im not sure about art cos of the workloads..
do you think the combination of the 3 subjects is right?

I will put UCL in one of the five for sure(wanna study in london)
what else do u suggest? you sounded professional

JH ?

i was think about applying for one civil engin. with my architecture personal statement.. is that a no-go

thank you!!!
Reply 4
SSze

i was think about applying for one civil engin. with my architecture personal statement.. is that a no-go

thank you!!!

well i'm doing it, so it better not be!:biggrin:

you'll be alright, so long as you dont apply for engineering at say, Bristol or Imperia, etc, as a statement for architecture will probably put these places off, given they are at the slightly competitive end of the scale.
Reply 5
You questioning about art? That's the attitude of engineers, c'mon
It's almost an essential subject to take for architecture, well to me art was every thing in a-levels. I don't find art has such a work load if you love it. On the other hand, if you don't love art, then you got to think again before you apply to architecture, first the return is no way near proportional to the work load and effort you put or will put in, so you got to really love architecture to always have the momentum to drive you forward during the studies.

For my self, I did maths, further maths, physics and art and some other random subjects it's good enough for me to get 4 offers, so I don't think it will be much different to you.

The Civil engineering part, i was almost applied for it as well, since for some reason my mom didn't think i was gonna get any offers at all for architecture, so she recommended me to do civil engineering instead. But then all my teacher put words against the decision, first as Odradek mentioned that your personal statement is going to be rock solid to write, and furthermore i would strongly recommend you to go spend 2 weeks in a practice where you can see architects and engineers work together. In my experience, i absolutely hated being an engineer in the office i was in, not sure bout others thou, and some people may disagree with me, and i'm fine with it.

It's only some personal comments, don't take it too seriously. (My grammar is failing .. some one teach me English!!)
Reply 6
Secret_F
You questioning about art? That's the attitude of engineers, c'mon
It's almost an essential subject to take for architecture, well to me art was every thing in a-levels. I don't find art has such a work load if you love it. On the other hand, if you don't love art, then you got to think again before you apply to architecture, first the return is no way near proportional to the work load and effort you put or will put in, so you got to really love architecture to always have the momentum to drive you forward during the studies.

QUOTE]

i have to agree with what you're saying, but i too dropped Art after last year, my logic being that i can do some portfolio work in my own time, whilst not being dependent on getting a top art grade. i felt the need to concentrate my time this year on getting decent grades in Maths, Physics and Music, so i can actually make the offers.

Just because someone doesnt love pure art that much, doesn't mean their commitment to architecture (which is not EXACTLY pure art) is in question.

Rich
Reply 7
does that actually count as a quote? :P

well, yes true, but buildings are said to be the solid form of music(performing art), art are not just fine art... it's many things
its not about being able to do art as such,...... architecture is about ideas and creativity, and designing unique buildings that are cost effective and yet a move forward in design.
Reply 9
scraceus999
its not about being able to do art as such,...... architecture is about ideas and creativity, and designing unique buildings that are cost effective and yet a move forward in design.

to me ideas and creativity are forms of art, well you may argue that isn't the case, it's perfectly acceptable by me.

you can't really define architecture after all, it's just that thing that's there how ever you think of it.
Reply 10
Secret_F
to me ideas and creativity are forms of art, well you may argue that isn't the case, it's perfectly acceptable by me.

you can't really define architecture after all, it's just that thing that's there how ever you think of it.

Seeing as (in my opinion) there are no truly infalliable arguments for the definition of art, it can mean whatever you want :smile:

"to me ideas and creativity are forms of art" is a really nice view to take.

scraceus999

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that as part of a defintion of what architecture is. Especially since i hold the view that 'buildings' and 'architecture' are seperate things, but i agree that ideas and creativity definitely make up part of it.

I think art is essential upto the point that architects just need to express their views to others. Yeah you can talk to them with "words" but sometimes (most the time?) its just not as realistic. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that, which is why architects need to people good at art. There's fine art, digital art, model making etc. Aslong as people are able to express their views visually they don't need to be good at all types of "art".

Disclaimer, i havn't even read this thread i'm just feeling a bit bored so fancied posting something. Even though i don't know what the topic of conversation is lol I'm sorry.
Reply 11
RocketTown

Disclaimer, i havn't even read this thread i'm just feeling a bit bored so fancied posting something. Even though i don't know what the topic of conversation is lol I'm sorry.

i know how you feel, probably just the part of pre uni boredness doesn't really want to sleep, but don't know what to do either.... being like that all summer now :frown:
Reply 12
Secret_F
does that actually count as a quote? :P

well, yes true, but buildings are said to be the solid form of music(performing art), art are not just fine art... it's many things

I dont quite understand the idea of 'solid form of music' because unlike music, a building itself has no movement or time scale.

The rhythm in architecture requires 'external' motion. Walking or scanning your eyes up and down a street with buildings of a similar period, you get a feel of the regularity and order.

With Gothic architecture, only whiles moving past the columns, you feel a continuous rhythm. This motion seems to be in your complete control but like music, the rhythm slowly possess and occupies you without conscious effort, allowing your mind to continue with thoughts.

So how can architecture be a solid music?
^^^^^ well architecture can be a solid music to him.....after all like everyone says it is different to the individual :P

but yeah.....basically architecture is anything you want it to be and art can be linked to almost anything in the world i think....so its all good!
Reply 14
well said: it means different things to different people, and what it means to you is (i would imagine) what you would explore during your time as an architect?

or maybe im just an idiot.
Reply 15
samsonlcy
I dont quite understand the idea of 'solid form of music' because unlike music, a building itself has no movement or time scale.

The rhythm in architecture requires 'external' motion. Walking or scanning your eyes up and down a street with buildings of a similar period, you get a feel of the regularity and order.

With Gothic architecture, only whiles moving past the columns, you feel a continuous rhythm. This motion seems to be in your complete control but like music, the rhythm slowly possess and occupies you without conscious effort, allowing your mind to continue with thoughts.

as others said, it can be different things to different people, but to me, the difference it self and the variety combination of the different "note" and some how also manage to find orders and rhythms that go together.

i mean, you can't really define music or art either, so mix relate those word one to another will make most people agree under confusion, which was the basic idea of the "old sayings" :biggrin:
Reply 16
samsonlcy

^ I lived nextdoor to the Ely Cathedral for 4 years, I heard nothing apart from the bells ringing every hour.

(only kidding btw :p:)

edit: I don't know if anyone else does this, but sometimes when I'm relaxing or have a really good time eg. in hyde park on a summer afternoon watching the sun set, whilst smoking a panter cigar I try to imagine a music that is playing in the bg as if the whole thing is a movie. Or if I'm on the bus and everyone has really depressed expressions on their faces, I imagine an appropriately depressing song playing in the background that would fit perfectly. :p: This is not really related to architecture, but just wanted to see if anyone else does this.
Reply 17
9mm
^ I lived nextdoor to the Ely Cathedral for 4 years, I heard nothing apart from the bells ringing every hour.

(only kidding btw :p:)

edit: I don't know if anyone else does this, but sometimes when I'm relaxing or have a really good time eg. in hyde park on a summer afternoon watching the sun set, whilst smoking a panter cigar I try to imagine a music that is playing in the bg as if the whole thing is a movie. Or if I'm on the bus and everyone has really depressed expressions on their faces, I imagine an appropriately depressing song playing in the background that would fit perfectly. :p: This is not really related to architecture, but just wanted to see if anyone else does this.

i do a similar thing on the bus, but that's because i usually don't have any thing else to do, in average i spend 2hr on buses each day, so i need to find, obviously some thing as useful to do during the 2 hr of blankness every day.
Reply 18
soundtracking is a brilliant way to make life more exciting... sounds like you'll be good at films and stuff. I think its something thats intrinsic in most people that want to be an architect .Sort of an ability to see the world as a whole (including soundtrack) instead of just bits here and there.
Reply 19
exactly what we do:smile: we see the world different to .. well most of the people? but how can you tell?
me and my friend was debating about a rather interesting point of view, what happen if you don't see green as green, what if you see green as some other random color, how can you tell? because you have been told that particular color is green, i mean, can some of us see things differently, but can't tell since we've been told that's the way it is from when we was born....

sorry of being random and not being able to explain, it's just a rather confusing thought i had :P

Latest

Trending

Trending