Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What are the most scientific universities?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Remember that in the sciences you can frequently get in even if you miss the required grades. UCL students with B's, manchester biology students with BBC, etc. I know many from my high school who managed to do maths/ bio/ chem/ phys/ engi having missed the required grades.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow has a really good physics department. The entry requirements will be lower but that's because it's a Scottish uni.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone, I can't decide whether to choose Edinburgh or Liverpool. Edinburgh has Higgs (lol pathetic I know) but Liverpool is closer...

EDIT: Yep it's a new account, didn't quite like the name without the hyphens
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Lancaster has a good Physics dept too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
    Thanks for the help everyone, I can't decide whether to choose Edinburgh or Liverpool. Edinburgh has Higgs (lol pathetic I know) but Liverpool is closer...

Edinburgh's department isn't anything special, but you should choose somewhere where you like the course and the location.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Edinburgh is MUCH better than Liverpool...

- better reputation
    - excellent academics
    - beautiful city
    - friendly people
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've actually chosen Warwick, replacing Nottingham. Their offer is ABB for my A-levels!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadExaminee)
    Edinburgh is MUCH better than Liverpool...

- better reputation
    - excellent academics
    - beautiful city
    - friendly people
    Away from physics (where I think Liverpool certainly has the edge) then Liverpool (the city centre) is a world heritage site. Although I think few cities can match Edinburgh, Liverpool isn't too far off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
    Imperial/LSE/Ucl

Imperial has the best rep.
    :laugh:

Imperial
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bath has an excellent reputation for engineering, nearly on par with imperial. Offers range from AAA to ABB. Not as strong on other sciences but still good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    :laugh:

Imperial
    LSE is UOL. It shares science facilities with ALL the London unis. I do not see why it is so funny.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imperial along with Oxbridge are not places to apply for looking for an ABB entry requirement for Physics/Theoretical Physics.

The best places for those subjects are gonna be Imperial/Oxford/Durham etc, less so Cambridge because they only do Natural Sciences. You can choose the maths and physics options i believe, but somewhere along the line you might end up doing a module or two that isn't Physics+Maths - might annoy you. Can't remember 100% had it explained to me by some cambridge teacher like 1.5years ago.

Anyway thats irrelevant because they wont give out ABB offers. Congrats on your offer from warwick though, ABB must be for maths / fmaths / physics? warwick is good for physics
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy-and-lost)
    Any of the Russel Group Universities. (Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle etc... Look it up)

Manchester is AAA-AAB.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    LSE is UOL. It shares science facilities with ALL the London unis. I do not see why it is so funny.
    Erm....because they do not teach physics?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by decaf)
    Imperial along with Oxbridge are not places to apply for looking for an ABB entry requirement for Physics/Theoretical Physics.

The best places for those subjects are gonna be Imperial/Oxford/Durham etc, less so Cambridge because they only do Natural Sciences. You can choose the maths and physics options i believe, but somewhere along the line you might end up doing a module or two that isn't Physics+Maths - might annoy you. Can't remember 100% had it explained to me by some cambridge teacher like 1.5years ago.

Anyway thats irrelevant because they wont give out ABB offers. Congrats on your offer from warwick though, ABB must be for maths / fmaths / physics? warwick is good for physics
    I've haven't got an offer yet! It just says on their website that they give ABB offers for maths, f.maths and physics. I'm only considering universities at the moment; haven't sent off my ucas form.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've haven't got an offer yet! It just says on their website that they give ABB offers for maths, f.maths and physics. I'm only considering universities at the moment; haven't sent off my ucas form.
    ah right then, my bad, sorry!
    but if you're doing maths/fmaths/physics and want a backup-ish uni, warwick should give you an ABB offer - you can always contact them and double check.

plus the fact it isn't so much a 'backup' except for the grades, because warwick is fairly pro at physics.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is meant to be one of the best there is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by decaf)
    ah right then, my bad, sorry!
    but if you're doing maths/fmaths/physics and want a backup-ish uni, warwick should give you an ABB offer - you can always contact them and double check.

plus the fact it isn't so much a 'backup' except for the grades, because warwick is fairly pro at physics.
    Yeah I realised that too, was wondering why they ask for ABB though for such a prestigious uni, quite strange. I don't think I'm gunna bother putting any insurance uni's. I'll just take a gap year and retake if all goes wrong. Is this a good idea or not?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imperial college and Manchester (merger between Victoria Manchester and UMIST)

We most certainly don't share science facilities within the UoL at undergraduate level. But I won't rule it out at post graduate level.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    LSE is UoL in as much as students get a UoL degree.

LSE do not do Physics.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2008
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.