The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

MSc Global Market Economics versus MSc Politics of the World Economy

Greetings all.

I'm a yank and VERY INTERESTED in two programs that the LSE offers--the first being the MSc in Global Market Economics and the second being the MSc in Politics of the World Economy, I have read that you write a single statement of purpose while applying to both of your desired courses. Will the fact that these two programs are in different departments (IR versus Economics) adversely affect my chances of acceptance into either? At least here in the States, graduate schools look for applicants with clearly defined objectives, are UK schools the same? I am just worried that it will be difficult to write an effective personal statement under the condition of having to sastify two different "ways of thinking" (economics versus political science). Am I better of on just concentrating on one department in my application?

If anybody has ANY information to share on these two programs I really would appreciate the responses.

And also, would anybody be interested in giving their opinion on my chances of admittance? My "stats" are as follows:

[INDENT]
-BSc in Economics
-Minor in Political Science
-Certificate of International Studies

-3.99 GPA from a public university (Arizona State University--one of our faculty, Edward Prescott, was just awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics)

-Teaching Assitantship for upper division course in Intermediate Microeconomic Theory (ECN314).
-Have also been offered a TA'ship in either Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory (ECN313) or International Trade Theory (ECN436) but because of time constraints will not be able to complete before application deadline.

-Will have taken courses in IR, Political Philosophy, Econ Development, Trade Theory, Global Politics, etc...

-Will have limited math background (2 semester of calculus) however I am very proficient in the courses that I have taken.
[/INDENT]
Reply 1
im in the PWE program which is a 1 year course. from what i know, the

GME program takes 2 years. i would have to say that the 2 programs are

very different. if you want to go for econ, then apply to the GME, if you want

politics, go for the PWE. i originally expected the PWE program to be more

econ based, but it wasnt, so im taking an econ course (International economics)

to satisfy one of two IR electives. from your stats, i think you have a good

shot at the PWE program. i come from a similar background (state school,

econ / psychology major, same GPA, undergrad RA), so focus on your essay

and you should be fine.

PS. Prescott used to be at my alma mater until he flew over to

ASU last year and got his Nobel Prize there. oh well.

Mpetric683
Greetings all.

I'm a yank and VERY INTERESTED in two programs that the LSE offers--the first being the MSc in Global Market Economics and the second being the MSc in Politics of the World Economy, I have read that you write a single statement of purpose while applying to both of your desired courses. Will the fact that these two programs are in different departments (IR versus Economics) adversely affect my chances of acceptance into either? At least here in the States, graduate schools look for applicants with clearly defined objectives, are UK schools the same? I am just worried that it will be difficult to write an effective personal statement under the condition of having to sastify two different "ways of thinking" (economics versus political science). Am I better of on just concentrating on one department in my application?

If anybody has ANY information to share on these two programs I really would appreciate the responses.

And also, would anybody be interested in giving their opinion on my chances of admittance? My "stats" are as follows:

[INDENT]
-BSc in Economics
-Minor in Political Science
-Certificate of International Studies

-3.99 GPA from a public university (Arizona State University--one of our faculty, Edward Prescott, was just awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics)

-Teaching Assitantship for upper division course in Intermediate Microeconomic Theory (ECN314).
-Have also been offered a TA'ship in either Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory (ECN313) or International Trade Theory (ECN436) but because of time constraints will not be able to complete before application deadline.

-Will have taken courses in IR, Political Philosophy, Econ Development, Trade Theory, Global Politics, etc...

-Will have limited math background (2 semester of calculus) however I am very proficient in the courses that I have taken.
[/INDENT]
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
mubbmubb -

Thank you for your reply. Do you mind answering some more questions?

- What is the specific academic focus of the program? You say you were expecting more econ than it offers, and I assume instead it is instead more IR based, however is there a specific focus of the instruction? Is it of more academic or "practical/professional" nature?

- How rigorous is the program?

- What do you expect to do upon graduation? Do you have any sense of how past graduates have fared in academics/their professional careers?

- What internship/work experience did you have prior to applying?

Are you happy you chose to attend LSE and study PWE?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Matt

mubbmubb
im in the PWE program which is a 1 year course. from what i know, the

GME program takes 2 years. i would have to say that the 2 programs are

very different. if you want to go for econ, then apply to the GME, if you want

politics, go for the PWE. i originally expected the PWE program to be more

econ based, but it wasnt, so im taking an econ course (International economics)

to satisfy one of two IR electives. from your stats, i think you have a good

shot at the PWE program. i come from a similar background (state school,

econ / psychology major, same GPA, undergrad RA), so focus on your essay

and you should be fine.

PS. Prescott used to be at my alma mater until he flew over to

ASU last year and got his Nobel Prize there. oh well.
Reply 3
[email protected]

Mpetric683
mubbmubb -

Thank you for your reply. Do you mind answering some more questions?

- What is the specific academic focus of the program? You say you were expecting more econ than it offers, and I assume instead it is instead more IR based, however is there a specific focus of the instruction? Is it of more academic or "practical/professional" nature?

- How rigorous is the program?

- What do you expect to do upon graduation? Do you have any sense of how past graduates have fared in academics/their professional careers?

- What internship/work experience did you have prior to applying?

Are you happy you chose to attend LSE and study PWE?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
- Matt

Latest

Trending

Trending