The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I graduated from Durham earlier this year, having done law. Durham Law School has a far superior reputation to that of Bristol both amongst City/MC law firms and the Bar; I also believe it is more selective. Regardless of your choice, do make sure you get a First--it may make your three years not quite as party-lific, but it's very much worth it in the long run.
Reply 2
Evil_Genius
I graduated from Durham earlier this year, having done law. Durham Law School has a far superior reputation to that of Bristol both amongst City/MC law firms and the Bar; I also believe it is more selective. Regardless of your choice, do make sure you get a First--it may make your three years not quite as party-lific, but it's very much worth it in the long run.

I don't think this is true at all- certainly "far superior" is pushing it. The truth is Bristol and Durham are considered to be very similar universities both in terms of reputation and demographically. They are pretty much the northern/southern equivalents to eachother, and are both accorded great respect by employers at both the Bar and in the City. If I were you I would have a look at both see which one you prefer, because in all honesty, I don't think the difference between the two is that great.
Reply 3
Granted, I'm biased--however, my opinions were not plucked out of thin air but are rather based on the opinions from HR/pupillage committee members I've encountered during a number of mini-pupillages and vacation schemes.

Have a look at :

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=665540

This is from the Law Careers forum and it discusses this point in some detail.
Reply 4
Evil_Genius
Granted, I'm biased--however, my opinions were not plucked out of thin air but are rather based on the opinions from HR/pupillage committee members I've encountered during a number of mini-pupillages and vacation schemes.

Have a look at :

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=665540

This is from the Law Careers forum and it discusses this point in some detail.

Mate- I go to Durham as well. I just think that Bristol is really good as well.

Edit- what the hell? Bristol and Durham are put in the same tier? So I fail to see the point you are making...That said I do broadly agree with the rankings in that particular table- for more so than Lawz's one.
Reply 5
I cited the thread as a way of providing a more comprehensive discussion of your perspective on the subject--I didn't say I subscribed to the tier-ranking provided there. As I mentioned, I don't think Bristol and Durham are on the same level level as far as various recruiters are concerned--justly or not.

Congratulations on choosing Durham, though. What year are you?
Durham's lovely, Bristol's lovely. Here's a post which won't help you at all :smile:
Reply 7
Completely off topic=where's your dress in your profile from lol?
Reply 8
Heh, someone should give you the Nobel Peace Prize.

A girl doing Computer Science...what outrage!

Still, you redeem yourself by a fondness for peep show as well as your choice of music. It frightens me sometimes just how much I resemble Mark---actually, I found myself reading the same book on Stalingrad he was delving into, when I watched the first series.
Reply 9
Evil_Genius
I cited the thread as a way of providing a more comprehensive discussion of your perspective on the subject--I didn't say I subscribed to the tier-ranking provided there. As I mentioned, I don't think Bristol and Durham are on the same level level as far as various recruiters are concerned--justly or not.

Congratulations on choosing Durham, though. What year are you?

Ha- thanks, I think...Going into my second year. I have no idea where you would get this impression, one only needs to look at the amount of Bristol grads at the Bar to realise that it's highly respected. I still fail to see how your thread gives me a "general overview". There is one chap that suggests that he "thinks" Bristol is perhaps not as respected as Durham, but aside from this precious little else about the topic.

The fact is Bristol, like Durham is traditionally on the next tier down from Oxbridge- and I find it simply bizarre that you suggest there is a gaping chasm between the two- when there really isn't.
I'm sure there is some unfortunate Bristol graduate falling into the chasm as we speak. Whoosh.

Good luck with your second year. Ahh, the joys of Criminal Law and Trusts--brings many a *fond* memory.
Evil_Genius
Heh, someone should give you the Nobel Peace Prize.

A girl doing Computer Science...what outrage!

Still, you redeem yourself by a fondness for peep show as well as your choice of music. It frightens me sometimes just how much I resemble Mark---actually, I found myself reading the same book on Stalingrad he was delving into, when I watched the first series.

You should have quoted me, m'deary, if Peep Show talk was afoot! Mark is wonderful. I hope you try to seduce the laaaaydies with the same Stalingrad talk :biggrin:

But, yes, I shall accept that Nobel Peace Prize, thanks very much!
Introspectre
You should have quoted me, m'deary, if Peep Show talk was afoot! Mark is wonderful. I hope you try to seduce the laaaaydies with the same Stalingrad talk :biggrin:

But, yes, I shall accept that Nobel Peace Prize, thanks very much!

Actually, when Peep Show came out, I think I was in my first year at Durham and my then-girlfriend considered ending the relationship prematurely after seeing the resemblance between myself and Mark with regard to the book. So, I don't think that particular image would prove popular with ladies outside the Royal Library Society. Those ladies, however, are not the type you want to be seen in public with:smile:

Have you arrived in Durham yet? I'll be in town today and look out for any extra-dorky freshmen blundering about, lost.
Evil_Genius
Actually, when Peep Show came out, I think I was in my first year at Durham and my then-girlfriend considered ending the relationship prematurely after seeing the resemblance between myself and Mark with regard to the book. So, I don't think that particular image would prove popular with ladies outside the Royal Library Society. Those ladies, however, are not the type you want to be seen in public with:smile:

Have you arrived in Durham yet? I'll be in town today and look out for any extra-dorky freshmen blundering about, lost.

Wow, and she held onto you? Shocking :p:

Nope, I don't arrive until a week on Sunday. Which college were you/are you in?

Latest

Trending

Trending