The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't know if unis would allow an A2 student to actually do any practical work, but if you contact your local school of pharmacy they may be willing to show you around the facilities and talk to you about what goes on in each lab, as they are likely to have three or four different labs (we do at LJMU at least).

If you fancy doing some actual lab work then i would take a look at the Nuffield scheme. They help set up research projects for students the year before they start university, and anyone doing their first degree who has not done any proper research yet.
Reply 2
Oh how would I go about applying to the Nuffield scheme?
Reply 3
On here one thinks: http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/go/grants/nsb/page_390.html

I think you need to get a member of staff to back you up as well. I know at uni it would be a lecturer - but i don't know what role a college tutor would play. Have a read though, will tell you more than i can, hehe.
Reply 4
Oh okay thanks, do you know of any pharmaceutical companies which take students on apart from GSK I've rang about 20 today they were all like NO hah
Reply 5
Not that i know of - the health and safety is shocking these days and it takes a week to go through some stuff. That's what Pfizer said when someone asked them if they do short-term placements.

If you're really struggling to get into a pharma company don't worry because not many undergrads get the chance and you have 3 summers in uni to do it.

If you really really want to get an idea of manufacturing drugs then you could always contact your local hospital to see if they have an aseptic suite, or even a department that makes its own radiopharmaceuticals (for chemotherapy and diagnosis). You may be able to get a quick tour of what goes on, but there's no guarantee you'll get anything from the hospitals either.

But, as i always say: If you don't ask you don't get!
Reply 6
but I'd really like to see what industry pharmacy consists of before I dive into it at uni lol. Would it be wise to put down that I've tried getting work placements at these places?
Reply 7
yeah, in your Personal Statement you could always say you have tried and are going to keep trying. But word it a bit more intuitively than that, haha.

Latest