The Student Room Group

Real Gap Year - Everest Expedition!

I was thinking of using part of my gap year to do the 35 day experience shown on the 'real gap experience' website, and I was wondering if anyone had done it/known anyone/ were thinking of doing it themselves, and whether it was worthwhile? Also, if that is a reliable website to take gap year information from.
Thank you ever so much.
Reply 1
Not sure about that one but if you are looking for expeditions look at the trekforce website as people like Jack Osbourne and Bruce Parry from Tribe have done them so they must be good!!!
http://www.gapyear365.com/company/trekforce-expeditions
Expeditions look a great way to travel and see the world, there must be someone who has done the one you are asking about though...
Reply 2
Was thinking about doing an everest trek to. However didn't find much info on forums etc.
Reply 3
Thank you ever so much. :smile:
I looked at that website and it looked fantastic.
Plus they do what I was looking for.
I too was a bit concerned about the very few comments on forums, etc.
I will research into that Trekforce a bit more, and no doubt I'll book from there.
Thanks again!
:smile:
Reply 4
i've heard very negative things about real gap - its very commercial and most of the money goes into the backpocket of the ones in charge as opposed to money going into the country in which you are going to. i carried out a lot of research using various sources and decided Trekforce was the best option for me but i also think Raleigh is probably very reputable too. I'm going on an expedition to belize in february.

Aaron
Reply 5
I had a look on their site, it looks pretty cool but quite expensive! You could trek the Everest basecamp or the Annapurna trail yourself, by all accounts its very accessible, transport from Kathmandu is very easy to find, lots of backpackers do it every year.

I mean, the £1999 seems very expensive considering flights aren't included. Food and accomodation is very cheap in Nepal!
Reply 6
Thanks ever so much you two!!
I thought it was rather expensive, and I wasn't aware that it was accessible on your own. However, I was interested in websites like that, because nobody I know wants to take an adventure gap year. I'll drag someone along and do it myself then. Or have a look at trekforce in more detail. Ahhh gap years. Madness.
Thanks again!
Reply 7
Depends how independent you are. Personally I would rather go with something organized, for safety and for proper guidance. Also nothings better than going with a bunch of other travelers. You can make really great mates.
Reply 8
Ciar22
I was thinking of using part of my gap year to do the 35 day experience shown on the 'real gap experience' website, and I was wondering if anyone had done it/known anyone/ were thinking of doing it themselves, and whether it was worthwhile? Also, if that is a reliable website to take gap year information from.
Thank you ever so much.

Ask yourself - what's the point of going to Everest if you're not going to climb it? I mean, seriously.

"What did you do on your gap year?"
"Oh, I went to Everest."
"Whoa!"
"No, I didn't climb it though."
"Oh."

Instead of doing random travelling, like most people do, and getting not very much to show for it, why not devote your gap year to learning some awesome skills? Train to be a chef, or a windsurfing instructor, or get a mountain leader award and start leading groups on mountain expeditions...

Please don't waste it on some overpriced, overhyped gap year "company".
Reply 9
Morbo
Ask yourself - what's the point of going to Everest if you're not going to climb it? I mean, seriously.

"Oh, I went to Everest."
"Whoa!"
"Oh."

Instead of doing random travelling, like most people do, and getting not very much to show for it, why not devote your gap year to learning some awesome skills? Train to be a chef, or a windsurfing instructor, or get a mountain leader award and start leading groups on mountain expeditions...

Nepal is one of the best trekking destinations in the world with absolutely stunning scenery. Are you trying to say there is no point visiting the Everest region if you're not going to climb Everest? :cool:

I agree with you on the 'overpriced, overhyped' comment though most who go travelling do get something out of it and I'd say the vast majority do not regret it. Btw train to be a chef? :eek: Been there, done that, not awesome at all.
Reply 10
kurányi
Nepal is one of the best trekking destinations in the world with absolutely stunning scenery. Are you trying to say there is no point visiting the Everest region if you're not going to climb Everest? :cool:

There's a lot better treks in the Himalayas than the one to base camp. It's a functional route, not one with any particular beauty e.g. Garhwal Himalaya.

And you're right about travelling in general, it really is best done outside of packaged trips.
Morbo
There's a lot better treks in the Himalayas than the one to base camp. It's a functional route, not one with any particular beauty e.g. Garhwal Himalaya.

And you're right about travelling in general, it really is best done outside of packaged trips.

Morbo, I completely agree. The whole everest area is totally overcomersialised, the trek in is now known as the "kleenex trail" for horrible reasons. I was asked to go on an expedition up everest on a pretty rarely climbed line, but I turned it down, as even that would have been packed at base camp and bottlenecks higher up.

Interestingly enough though, the cost I'd have had to pay was 2000 pounds, including permits and travel in nepal, identical to what they are asking you just to get near the bottom of it. Although I would have needed to pay at least another grand on a nice down suit and another tent, plus new gloves and a few layers and maybe some more boots.

Annapurna is definately on my list though. Anyone up for going to nepal for a trek or some climbing next year? If you are, pm me, I don't do this kind of organised trip, I like to arrange my own thing and be spontaneous.

I also want to get up in the karkouram(sp), seems awesome.
Reply 12
Thank you all so much for your help. I had no idea about any of the details/what's beneficial and what isn't before I came on here, and you've helped loads.
I've ditched that Everest Expedition to the base camp now. I'll go hunting for other things.
Thanks again.
Reply 13
Morbo

"Oh, I went to Everest."
"Whoa!"
"Oh."

Sorry I disagree entirely with you. First of all its a challenging trek, completely mad! I have known several people (who ive just met) who have done it!! Very hard work..Included various gut/sickness problems from the height. Also the scenery and seeing everest with your own eyes is certainly going to be a humbling experience. Not all of us are made to climb mountains!! Why do people go to a beach holiday? To sit on the beach?

People who go to everest base camp, want to see it and trek there, not climb it, simple!

Also I have used group travel companies and I have found them to be an amazing experience. In fact probably much, much better than independent travel. Using a gap year to do random traveling, whats wrong with that either? Not everyone wants to become a mountain leader or a scuba diver trainer. Some people just want to see the world.
Good points!

Latest