Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How hard is it to pass practical driving test

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I got mine coming up this Wednesday but I don't really know weather I will pass or fail. I'm fairly good driver but i do make mistakes. Do you have to be like proper good/safe to pass.
    What happens if you dont do one of the maneuvers. Is that a fail? Because realistically it shouldn't be. Just gimme a bit more info.

Cheers
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    if you make mistakes then you might fail - you are allwoed some minor mistakes but no major mistakes.

what kind of mistakes do you make?

yes, you have to proper safe to pass.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singh246)
    I got mine coming up this Wednesday but I don't really know weather I will pass or fail. I'm fairly good driver but i do make mistakes. Do you have to be like proper good/safe to pass.
    What happens if you dont do one of the maneuvers. Is that a fail? Because realistically it shouldn't be. Just gimme a bit more info.

Cheers

TBH If you consider yourself to only be a fairly good driver who makes mistakes are you sure that you are ready for the test/driving unassisted?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malinski)
    try your best to make few mistakes! Good luck!
    I need to try making no mistakes!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OK so what happens if you fail a maneuver. E.g. when doing a parallel parking you don't get the car close enough within the set distance
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singh246)
    OK so what happens if you fail a maneuver. E.g. when doing a parallel parking you don't get the car close enough within the set distance
    You straighten it up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its a lot of luck really. You could have a decent run where you have nothing out of the ordinary happening, one of my friends had to pull over for an ambulance and because he didnt check his blindspots when he was moving off he failed. On the other hand I failed twice because of silly mistakes I wouldn't normally make.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it can be very hit and miss.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i completely screwed up my parallel park, ended up at a 15 degree angle and i clipped the curb but still managed to pass. with lots of minors
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neiljeff123)
    i completely screwed up my parallel park, ended up at a 15 degree angle and i clipped the curb but still managed to pass. with lots of minors
    Ah Wicked
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You will get away with minors, just avoid the majors!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ no fair, i failed my mock test (thank god!) for clipping a curb. Anyway, i stalled in my real test and just put the brake on, handbreak, into neutral and then restart and it was fine. I got a minor for control of vehicle but that was it. Also, if you do things like touch the curb whilst manouvring it's usually a minor whereas if you forget to do blind spots and things then you'll end up failing on majors because that's dangerous as opposed to a small mistake. So in general. Be safe and you'll be fine. And don't give up just because you think you've done something that might fail you because you never know until you get out how you've done.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    just go really slowly
    im a crap driver but passed first time with 1 minor
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    can you get minors/points deducted for driving too slow?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sogz7)
    yeah, you will get minors for hesitation my mate failed for going 60 instead of 70 on a dual carriageway
    • 7 followers

(Original post by sogz7)
    Yea I think so! Basically just stick to the national speed limit or a few mph, ie 1 or 2 and you'll be fine. Its what I did 4years ago . . .
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i failed first time last week...its really hard..they poke at the smallest things and make u fail. You'lle probabely fail too jokes
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    its luck. well, as long as your a decent driver you'll be ok but tbh i failed twice, first time for speeding- oops! but only 43mph in a 40 and another instructor couldve decided it was minor. Second time i over took a lorry then found no room at the other side to tuck in because a queue of cars right up to it, so fair enough i was stuck in the middle of the road-serious fault.
    Then today i passed, my driving wasnt great but only got 2 minors. I stalled, touched the kerb (only lightly), went through a pot hole, all things which if he really wanted to he could have failed me on..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    just realised this is a mega old thread- oops!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had 1 minor, it isn't that hard if you keep calm and don't make silly mistakes.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 27, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.