The Student Room Group
Reply 1
50PH///
I'v almost finished my ps.. well a short paragraph that i wanted to add. I have recently done a week volunteering at vitalise and cant seem to write anything about it in my ps. any suggestions or tips by those who had/have mentioned it in their ps'es wud b much appreciated :smile:

Thanks for replying

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_Your_Personal_Statement
Reply 2
a weeks of volunteering isn't worth mentioning unless it somehow had a major influence on the rest of your life. seriously, admissions officers don't care if you love children and help the homeless....they just want to know if you will be successful in your course of study.
Reply 3
If you post you first draft in the correct forum here...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134

One of the PS helpers should give you some good advice.
Reply 4
DrDomDom
A week of volunteering is nothing...people do YEARS of the stuff...dont put a time frame on it.

a week is quite a lot when you're doing it solidly, with about 4 hours break to sleep a day and that's it. at least, that's what vitalise was like when i went...OP, just say one think that you learnt from it, if you did. like something about communication or something? i don't know, you'll have got different things out of it to me. sorry not to be more help...but just, it has to be something that really made an impact on you personally! then it will be of most value when you include it.
Reply 5
Thanks :smile:. I agree with jenifaar, couldnt even manage the 4 hours sleep sometimes! And yes iv done alot of other volunteering/work experience as well (for long periods of time). but this although for a shorter period, has been the best.
Reply 6
Your personal statement is your entry into university, pretty much, because it determines (amongst other things, like grades in hand and predicted grades) whether you get an interview or not.

I'm of the opinion that all work experience should be mentioned, regardless of how long you did it for - the key thing you need to remember is to always relate it back to why doing it should make the university consider you as a prospective student. So, just think about how your experience at Vitalise makes you a good candidate for medicine... what did you learn from it? Most people can relate such things to important skills such as improvement in communication, working with different people, increases in confidence, better team work etc. As long as you can relate it to something relevant, mention it.
Reply 7
If you feel that you have learnt something from the experiance that is relevent and will add to your personal statement then I would try and add it. Just try and put what you did and what skills you have picked up (preferably something that is relevent to medicine).

Latest

Trending

Trending