The Student Room Group

french and politics or russian and politics?

i'm torn between the two.
i'm already doing french and i know it would be a lot easier to just carry it on, but i love russian! i don't study it but i lived in kazakhstan briefly when i was 13 and really love how it sounds...stupid i know. i know the alphabet and can remember a lot of basic words but...meh. i think it might be a bit of a risk applying because it's harder and i know unis are gonna want the best people. i did get 3 As for my ASs (french, english lit, politics) but 2 were quite low As and i got a C in German (which i'm not carrying on) which is probably the closest language i've studied to russian. obviously i'm doing french atm and i did get a high A for that so maybe that's my redeeming factor? i don't know. can anyone help? i don't know if its realistic for me to be thinking about this and i need to make a decision like NOW.
I would go for French.
You already have a strong grounding in it.
And why not get a good grade in it for A-level then you can always take up Russian ab-initio later on in uni or take a couple of modules in it (if your uni offers it).
Reply 2
you sound like you want to do russian.
i've got a similar problem, i know it'd be easier to just do french and english lit because i'm good at them and it's easier than starting a new language, but i want to do hebrew. that's the final factor. it's what i want to do.
I would go for russian. I think it is a more in demand language when you look for work and so may offer more opportunities. Also, from a couple of russian open days I've been to its not nearly as popular as say french and so may be less competitive. I'd suggest that it is clear you are more interested in russian, and it is that sort of interest that will be apparant in a personal statement and will get you a place on a course
Reply 4
glasses2000
i'm already doing french and i know it would be a lot easier to just carry it on, but i love russian! i don't study it but i lived in kazakhstan briefly when i was 13 and really love how it sounds...stupid i know. i know the alphabet and can remember a lot of basic words but...meh. i think it might be a bit of a risk applying because it's harder and i know unis are gonna want the best people. i did get 3 As for my ASs (french, english lit, politics) but 2 were quite low As and i got a C in German (which i'm not carrying on) which is probably the closest language i've studied to russian. obviously i'm doing french atm and i did get a high A for that so maybe that's my redeeming factor? i don't know. can anyone help? i don't know if its realistic for me to be thinking about this and i need to make a decision like NOW.

I think Russian; simply because, from what you wrote you seem to have a spark for it, and it's a much more in demand language. There are already so many people who can speak French and English wonderfully fluently, but to be able to achieve that in Russian would just be fantastic. It seems you already have a passion for it, so as long as you try to keep that alive during your study of Russian, I'd say go for it. Good luck!
Reply 5
bellebaihe
I think Russian; simply because, from what you wrote you seem to have a spark for it, and it's a much more in demand language. There are already so many people who can speak French and English wonderfully fluently, but to be able to achieve that in Russian would just be fantastic. It seems you already have a passion for it, so as long as you try to keep that alive during your study of Russian, I'd say go for it. Good luck!

This
Reply 6
glasses2000

Let us know what you decide please :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending