The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yes?
Reply 2
I don't think you can classify ligands as low or high spin - you either call them low/high FIELD (with high field ligands typically giving low spin complexes and vice versa), or simply low/high in the spectrochemical series, right?

Water doesn't invariably form high-spin complexes though. For example, [Fe(H2O)6]3+ is right on the verge of the high/low spin transition at room temperature and even a small change in temperature can shift which way it goes. This actually has some important consequences for reaction rates (which you'll learn about in your 3rd year Inorganic reaction mechanisms course).
Reply 3
Sinuhe
I don't think you can classify ligands as low or high spin - you either call them low/high FIELD (with high field ligands typically giving low spin complexes and vice versa), or simply low/high in the spectrochemical series, right?

Water doesn't invariably form high-spin complexes though. For example, [Fe(H2O)6]3+ is right on the verge of the high/low spin transition at room temperature and even a small change in temperature can shift which way it goes. This actually has some important consequences for reaction rates (which you'll learn about in your 3rd year Inorganic reaction mechanisms course).

Perversely, I'm looking forward to this.
Reply 4
cpchem
Perversely, I'm looking forward to this.

Hehe - it's not nearly as scary as it sounds; it's just good old inorganic chemistry, none of the weird organic-like mechanisms, despite the name. It's a fun course really. :smile:
(Not to mention that exam questions are nearly identical every year ... :p:)
Reply 5
Sinuhe
Hehe - it's not nearly as scary as it sounds; it's just good old inorganic chemistry, none of the weird organic-like mechanisms, despite the name. It's a fun course really. :smile:
(Not to mention that exam questions are nearly identical every year ... :p:)

I'm looking forward to the organometallic mechanisms one more - although they won't be as good as his first year non-metals lectures :frown:
cpchem
I'm looking forward to the organometallic mechanisms one more - although they won't be as good as his first year non-metals lectures :frown:

That professor is hilarious. His anecdotes were so interesting, and then there were explosions :biggrin:
Reply 7
Caperucitaroja
That professor is hilarious. His anecdotes were so interesting, and then there were explosions :biggrin:

He's my tutor....
Reply 8
cpchem

Oh my ... well, I absolutely abhor organometallics, so I definitely didn't like those lectures. It's just like taking cyanide pills, except that it takes a lot longer and with the tiny difference that you don't die in the process, and therefore get to go through it all again, very soon.

But the lecturer is kind of cool, I have to admit that. :smile:
Reply 9
Well, I suppose it's a Balliol thing - organometallics seems to be the order of the day for our inorganic tutors, much as we always get theoreticians rather than experimentalists for physical.

Latest