The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 1
your university card is a NUS card, so don't bother paying to get one of them! If you want, then you can pay and get a NUS Extra Card, which allows you to have extra discounts, but imo it's not worth it. I just stuck with my uni card and it's fine :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Some places won't accept your uni card, others will let you use it... I didn't get an NUS Extra card, but I had a Notts Uni smartcard from 3 years ago which used to have the NUS logo on, so I never had any problems.

Depends how much you'd use the discounts!
Reply 3
Our uni cards do have the NUS logo on them.
Really? They must have put it back on again after I got mine in second year then, because mine doesn't have it on! It just has the Nottingham Students' Union logo, which isn't the same as NUS.
Reply 5
I was a Fresher last year and they had them on them then. We don't get new ones for our second year do we? So I assume that I have this one throughout.
Reply 6
RachelBabyfrog
Really? They must have put it back on again after I got mine in second year then, because mine doesn't have it on! It just has the Nottingham Students' Union logo, which isn't the same as NUS.

They missed loads of stuff off the first generation of the blue uni cards, like the nightline number, and various other numbers, but I think they fixed most of it for last year's cards.

Apparently it wasn't intentional to remove the NUS logo from the cards, and it was just coincidence that NUS Extra started up at the same time, leading many people to believe they needed to pay £10 for an NUS card... they can bugger off if they think they're getting a tenner off me to get discounts I'm already entitled to...
Reply 7
Our uni card doesn't have the NUS logo on it..mind I was a fresher in 2006 so maybe the cards have changed?
To be honest, I got the NUS cards 2 years in a row and I've never used them that many times,and only in a few shops..so I doubt they are worth their £10.
Reply 8
The 2006/07 entry cards lacked the NUS logo; the new ones do have the NUS logo. My card stopped working and so I got it replaced, so now I have the NUS logo on it.

I hope they change their minds about not having an expiry date on the cards, because that's been a sticking point when using my card at some places (*cough*Partners*cough*). Fortunately I have another card which has my graduation year on it, which they seem to accept in tandem with my Uni Card. Partners is now part of Rymans anyway, and they accept even the NUS-logo-free Uni Cards.
Hey guys, found this thread from ages ago, so thought I would ask it on here:

is it worth getting the NUS extra card this year, or are the discounts already included on our student card? £11 seems like a lot if I wont use it much. Thanks for any replies!
The discounts are included mate. I've never been turned away or deprived a discount when producing my Uni card
It really dpends. Take a look at http://www.nus.org.uk/en/NUS-Extra/ to see what offers you'll get exclusively as an NUS Extra card holder.

If you see an offer for "student discount", then your university card should be accepted whether it carries the NUS logo or not - if they complain about it not bearing the logo, remind them that it's against the law to discriminate against somebody for not being a member of the union if it's advertised simply as a student offer.

If it's advertised as an "NUS discount", then you'll need your NUS logo-bearing student ID, which the new Nottingham cards hold.

If it's advertised as an "NUS Extra discount", then you'll need to buy an NUS Extra card.

Personally, I can't stand NUS right now, and they don't understand that not every student attends university to get a high paying job either.
DarkWhite

Personally, I can't stand NUS right now, and they don't understand that not every student attends university to get a high paying job either.

Thats why I'm here :biggrin:
Reply 13
Don't give the NUS money unless you're happy for them to use it lobbying for you to pay more for your degrees.
Haha thanks guys- I didnt realise everyone hated them so much? How come? I promise I wont give them any money!

Latest

Trending

Trending