The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i'm in a similar situation. Though not for German. I haven't a clue were to pick for my 5 choices. I want to study Geography but so far i only got 2 choices - Bangor and Lancaster
Reply 2
for Geography theres loads of good uni's- Cardiff, Aber
Reply 3
slevien1

I dont know my five choices

is sheffield actually good for german?
theres not a lot of tution per week :confused:

anyone in the same situation lol

Pompey is apparently good for german too.
slevien1

I dont know my five choices

is sheffield actually good for german?
theres not a lot of tution per week :confused:

anyone in the same situation lol

Have you had a look at the online Guardian league tables?

I'm not sure if Sheffield is good for German, but its a lovely Uni! Definately worth considering it...
Reply 5
haha i haven't done geography in ages
my friend yeah shes applying to lancaster
its great for geo!
try looking at reviews for them!!
Also go on the good university guide :smile:
Reply 6
mollymustard
Have you had a look at the online Guardian league tables?

I'm not sure if Sheffield is good for German, but its a lovely Uni! Definately worth considering it...

yeah ive been on the open day
Its just theres only 4 hours contact time
and others are like at least 10
thats what i need tbh lol
thinking kings college for defo
Reply 7
Cwlmatty

Although Cardiff only teach geography as a joint honours with planning, as far as I know, not a single honours.

Sheffield is a solid university (as most major city unis are, whether redbrick like Sheffield or not) but I can't comment on its languages. However, don't be too put off by the lack of lectures and contact hours. Many courses may only have a one hour lecture each week and one hour tutorial or seminar each fortnight for each module.

I know that at Durham (who are excellent in the languages) there's only something like a two hour seminar each week, or one hour tutorial and one hour lecture a week for every module. So the lack of contact time isn't a reflection of how the quality of a department. Languages, the arts and humanities are often largely self study.
Reply 8
slevien1
haha i haven't done geography in ages
my friend yeah shes applying to lancaster
its great for geo!
try looking at reviews for them!!
Also go on the good university guide :smile:

Thanks :smile: Lancaster is definately one i'm going to apply for, it's picking the other choices that i'm having trouble with.
I'l check out some reviews :smile:
Reply 9
Cwlmatty

Yep but i want to go to a university that is kind of in the region i currently live in. So the north west.
Reply 10
River85
Although Cardiff only teach geography as a joint honours with planning, as far as I know, not a single honours.

Sheffield is a solid university (as most major city unis are, whether redbrick like Sheffield or not) but I can't comment on its languages. However, don't be too put off by the lack of lectures and contact hours. Many courses may only have a one hour lecture each week and one hour tutorial or seminar each fortnight for each module.

I know that at Durham (who are excellent in the languages) there's only something like a two hour seminar each week, or one hour tutorial and one hour lecture a week for every module. So the lack of contact time isn't a reflection of how the quality of a department. Languages, the arts and humanities are often largely self study.

thank you :smile:
I am defo applying to kings college
itss like 7th for german or something!
Reply 11
loopy6111
Thanks :smile: Lancaster is definately one i'm going to apply for, it's picking the other choices that i'm having trouble with.
I'l check out some reviews :smile:

no problem!!
good luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending