The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
New york.
Are you naivesincerity in disguise?
Ive been to both London and New York, and i must say i prefer New York. New York just seems so different and there's ALWAYS something to do there.
Reply 63
yamcha
Aren't you proud of being Asian?:rolleyes:

I ammmm :biggrin: it was just fun to be mistaken as a hispanic
Reply 64
After just coming home from a weekend in New York, I've got to say it was a generally nice place, however I'd take London over it any day.

New York had some nice weather but was ever so humid, the Subway system is bloody awful in comparison to our Underground (I used to think the Underground was bad!) and the grid system would irritate me immensley if I was driving over there, in fact it's way too congested and too many people out there still think that having a really LARGE TRUCK in the middle of a congested city is a good idea, sigh.

On the plus side, Central park was pretty epic as was Grand Central (puts Waterloo to shame, just a shame that the system doesn't work as well as it does here). Food...my lord I don't think I ever need to eat breakfast again and the selection of shops was pretty damn good, although I do think Bloomingdales is slightly overrated - just seems like Selfridges to me. The sights were pretty remarkable mind!

Back to the negatives, 21 drinking age was rather frustrating, I'm 18 and felt like a 16 year old again out there, great fun. I guess that wouldn't have too many long term problems. Yet I also felt that NY was a wee bit dirtier and grimier than London is, and it's not like we were in the bad areas.

Although that said we did venture into certain bits and didn't feel particularly safe. My thoughts were that the bad areas of NY were worse than that of London whilst the *NICE* areas were equal to that of London, although probably not even as nice..

Plus I don't think I could stand living with Americans, only there could you have an American girl ask you 'You're not from around here..are you?' or others (at the airport) ask if I was coming from the Stockholm Flight (I have blonde hair). Obviously this is a big generalisation but it did seem to happen a bit too much out there...

Basically both have plus's and negatives, but I'd much rather live in London and visit NY - makes it seem that much more special.
Sick Puppy
I love living in London but I've always wanted to visit NY. Without having been to NY though, I can't really say where I'd rather live :smile:

^ exactly this
Reply 66
Yusuf.T
This may sound kinda dense to say.. but as of late due to the 9/11 rememberance coverage etc.. i really wanna go to New York.. ive been to the airport there.. but not actually outside lol

Ive lived and seen london.. its alright but like someone said theres something just really awesome about New York.. plus ive been told unlike london you dont find people stumbling outta clubs singing songs and eating a kebab while puking.

Same here lol i transferred on way to Florida. I'm not a fan of London really tbh :frown:
Reply 67
Dubai anyday mate.

Basically has everything in one city that lacks in others include the social aspects. Very culturally diverse, you will see people from all over the world there. They have money, thanks to oil, the projects already built and scheduled is amazing. Beats Hong Kong and new york for shopping..worlds biggest shopping mall anyone? Only in Dubai. Worlds biggest indoor ski centre? Only in Dubai. Worlds 1st 7* hotel? Dubai. Worlds most expensive building? Dubai...worlds tallest building..Dubai..worlds largest theme park (soon to open in 2012?) the list goes on and on.

Crime rates are extremely low, mainly due to its strict laws that i respect, honestly UK should adopt a much stricter laws, does wonders for the UAE.
Dubai, everyday is SUN SUN SUN, no RAIN, sometimes it only rains ONCE PER YEAR or NOT AT ALL. Being built on desert land what do you expect? Bit hot there i must admit, but one thing that stand out for Dubai is that despite their money, many Arabs appreciate their roots and traditions. It is commonly seen that the men and women wear traditional hijabs not because of religion, its because they choose to. I even respect the Sheiks probably one of the most richest men in the world right now often sleeping in tents in the desert despite the money they have....

best holiday I've ever had, parents looking to invest in a property there aswell although the global appeal and high demand dubai is getting right now is driving prices up like crazy!!
paperbagmonster
HONG KONG.

I don't think you properly understood the question. :shifty:
Reply 69
Ask me in a year's time. I'm (hopefully!) spending next summer in NYC :smile:
Reply 70
Norfolkadam
I don't think you properly understood the question. :shifty:

Read the OP again, bucko.

ZOIKA
wheres better?? where would oyu prefer to live? (or you can name another city you love, by the way new york won the google fight by about 500,000,000)

:smile:
Absurd
Read the OP again, bucko.

:smile:

Sorry, me jumping to conclusions.
london hands down, you cant fake culture and history.
London beats new york for politcs and law, seeing as London is the centre of UK legislation, Houses of Parliament, and the sheer number of Royal houses and Palace’s. London has a deeper and longer history. It’s a toss up for entertainment, but I may be leaning towards New york on that. Fashion New York seems to be where all the top models flock to live, even British models are based in New York now, and many big names are found in New York fashion week including major international houses, but in London its more filled with emerging talents. I still prefer London with the history of fashion from british design, saville row, bowler hats, carnaby street, kings road, east London brick lane, Shoreditch/Hoxton art scene... Art is a difficult one, New York has so much more art history as well.

NY you can’t help but think sooo American. But that’s its image and it works. London without doubt, hands down, is the most international city on the planet. The British empire what with the UK commonwealth has lead to the whole world and everyone else for that matter coming and trying to make a living for themselves. NY has always had “The American Dream” philosophy too, once again, sooo American.

London doesn’t have so obvious community segregation that you may find in NY where you can get Puerto Rican, Colombian, Black, Italian neighbourhoods. London doesn’t go so far in strict neighbourhood ethnicity, but you do get…

Bangladesh-Brick Lane/Shadwell, Portuguese-Stockwell, Pakistani–Ilford, Indian-Southall/Harrow, Polish-Ealing, Nigerian-Peckham, Jamaican-Brixton, Jewish-Hampstead/GoldersGrn, Australian-WestLondon, Kurdish-WoodGrn, Colombia-Elephant&castle, Irish-Kilburn, Somali-Woolwich, Russian-Mayfair

But you wouldn’t notice this most of the time because we all live everywhere together, there are no real obvious seclusions in London. New York defines the metropolitan, London the cosmopolitan. Foreigners in New York are, always, just that. NYC city treats even its long-term residents from abroad as visitors. Whereas London is part made up of foreigners included in its identity, around 33% and rising, born outside England.

Education, London has possibly the worlds best business and social economics based university in the world: London School of Economics (LSE) and possibly the worlds best scientific research and engineering based university in the world: Imperial College (ICL). And both the University College London (UCL) and Kings College (KCL) regularly feature in global top 10 polls of the world best Universities. And these are all stage government funded, so not bad ey? London also has the private London Business School (LBS). In contrast only the Ivy League Universities can better these institutions, and they’re not in NYC. So London wins.

21 drinking age in NY and 21 age for clubs?? What’s that all about? London is dirty, compared to other major European cities, but so is new york.

Dubai is too fake, too commercial too ‘look at me’ ostentatious. And im not sure I could support what Dubai does to the workers building all those ‘worlds-mosts’.

London’s GMT location is a big bonus. The capital of the world perhaps? it has a nice ring to it. The world loves a long weekend in New York, that’s true, and that’s NY’s appeal, everyone wants to visit it.
Reply 74
New York is pretty much my favourite place on earth. :biggrin: I ******* love it there. London is horrible, I hate the atmosphere, the people are so rude, the underground is horrible, the prices are absurd (NY is most expensive in the US and it's still cheap by British standards! (I'm not talking property)), everything about NY is fantastic, except maybe not walking through central park at 3am, that's a wee bit scary :tongue:
Reply 75
Gullivers Travels

London doesn’t have so obvious community segregation that you may find in NY where you can get Puerto Rican, Colombian, Black, Italian neighbourhoods. London doesn’t go so far in strict neighbourhood ethnicity, but you do get…

Bangladesh-Brick Lane/Shadwell, Portuguese-Stockwell, Pakistani–Ilford, Indian-Southall/Harrow, Polish-Ealing, Nigerian-Peckham, Jamaican-Brixton, Jewish-Hampstead/GoldersGrn, Australian-WestLondon, Kurdish-WoodGrn, Colombia-Elephant&castle, Irish-Kilburn, Somali-Woolwich, Russian-Mayfair

Good post. Do you know where is the modern day Irish American neighbourhoods of the city?
Reply 76
New York

Latest

Trending

Trending