The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Government and Economics LSE

Hi, my grades are in my spoiler.

Will the gov and eco admission tutors care that i have talked about philosophy in my personal statement (as im going for ppe elsewhere)?

is the gcse requirement still 8-9A* for this course? does that mean i stand no chance?
thanks guys
I don't think there ever was an unofficial GCSE requirement for the course as they are mainly for Economics and Law courses (and besides your grades are great anyway). It's difficult to say about whether the admission tutors will care - it clearly depends on how you discuss the philosophy aspect. I did a similar thing last year and got a very unexpected offer but after reading my PS again, the philosophy tied in with politics. At the same time, there were a few other people from last year who were otherwise excellent candidates but didn't get in because their PSes didn't discuss the Government or Economics side of things adequately.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Fortification
I don't think there ever was an unofficial GCSE requirement for the course as they are mainly for Economics and Law courses (and besides your grades are great anyway). It's difficult to say about whether the admission tutors will care - it clearly depends on how you discuss the philosophy aspect. I did a similar thing last year and got a very unexpected offer but after reading my PS again, the philosophy tied in with politics. At the same time, there were a few other people from last year who were otherwise excellent candidates but didn't get in because their PSes didn't discuss the Government or Economics side of things adequately.

Perhaps I can send you my personal statement to see if it 'ties in'?
sorry OP! I am applying for this course. I have got 8 A's and 4 B's in my GCSEs and AABa in ICT, Economics, Maths and Eng Lit, respectively, in my A-levels. What are my chances?

P.S. I am applying this year as I have taken a gap year.
Reply 4
Hi Guys, if you did I apply for this course, can I PLEASE, PLEASE have a quick looka t you personal statements.. really struggling intertwining the two! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Donnaa
Hi Guys, if you did I apply for this course, can I PLEASE, PLEASE have a quick looka t you personal statements.. really struggling intertwining the two! :smile:

I probably can't help particularly well but here goes.. I played up the government side as I'd done work experience there, talked a little about legislation and committees and public bodies, as well as some politics research work I did. For Economics I talked more about my reading on the subject, tied it in with references to maths and economics competitions I've entered and done well in.

That probably wasn't very helpful but those are the sort of things I wrote about! It might seem hard working them both in at first but really it's hard to have one without the other :wink: Best of luck!
Reply 6
No that was helpful,it was more or less what I did to thankyou :smile:
Reply 7
has anyone got offers from LSE for 2013?!? for Gov&Econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mareeih
has anyone got offers from LSE for 2013?!? for Gov&Econ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've not received anything except the whole "we've received your application and its very valuable to us" e-mail. They usually send them out late February or in March, from what I've heard, so don't worry.

For those interested, I got 7A*s 5As at GCSE, 4A at AS and am predicted 4A* at A2. I'm an Oxford PPE-reject, woop! But LSE is cool. :wink:
Reply 9
it is actually very frustrating that they won't give us any news. I think I am gonna go insane if I don't get an offer next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I got an offer for government and economics on 19 December, so clearly they are looking at applications and making offers - I'm sure yours will come soon. I don't really know how I got an offer. I've applied for straight economics everywhere else so my personal statement was completely economics, and I mentioned politics maybe twice. As a general question, why did you pick LSE? I like this course, but I'm still unsure about the actual university life.
Has anyone got any offers yet? Playing the waiting game is becoming unbearable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by The Pog is Cray
Has anyone got any offers yet? Playing the waiting game is becoming unbearable

Posted from TSR Mobile

still waiting... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeahhhhh got an offer
Reply 14
Original post by The Pog is Cray
Yeahhhhh got an offer

What were your O-level, AS level grades, and predicted grades?
9A*s and 3As at GCSE , 4 A's at AS and predicted 3A*s and an A at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Just got an offer - AAA, excluding Further Maths and Russian in my case (because I am Russian).

So HAPPYYY
Original post by coren111
Hi, my grades are in my spoiler.

Will the gov and eco admission tutors care that i have talked about philosophy in my personal statement (as im going for ppe elsewhere)?

is the gcse requirement still 8-9A* for this course? does that mean i stand no chance?
thanks guys

As long as the philosophy is relevant to the Government and Economics, e.g. Hegel, Marx, Austrian School of Economics, Locke or Kant etc.

I'm studying law @ LSE and it was my first choice so my personal statement exactly matched the course. I've also applied to St Andrews & Imperial for other courses and got an offer but the personal statement was still relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending