The Student Room Group

Going home at weekends

How often do you plan to go home at weekends from uni? In the first couple of months I have quite a lot of things that I need to be home for, and I suppose I'm a bit worried about missing out on stuff at uni!

But then I know people who went home every weekend and were fine.. I suppose I just want to be able to maintain home and uni life as best as possible!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, at my last uni, I went home every other weekend because I hated it.
One of my flatmates went home every weekend because she wanted to go out with her friends from home [she was an Essex party girl :biggrin:]
But some people I know who went to uni far away didn't come back at all.
Most people come home, like, 2 times a term-ish?
Reply 2
depends on how far away form home you are. My travel time from uni to home is over 4 hours one way. I only go home once a month if that.
Reply 3
i want to go home only when i have to-when i need money, food and clean laundry!
hmm I was wondering this too... when I'm going to uni, I think I'll be back a few days during the week, instead of the weekend, cos me n my boyfriend have the same days off (hes at college), probably every other week or whenever. I'm just worried about travel expenses
Reply 5
It varies how often I go home..I drive and I only live 50 mins away, I'll go home for the odd weekend, or just to stay the night. I see my family a lot more than my friends though. I'm very family orientated though, and I miss my cat too much :love:

I think it's absolutely fine for people to go home at weekends, it's cheaper to go out during the week anyway :p:
Reply 6
I'm only an hour an a half away on a £10 train, so it's a fairly easy journey. Only worry would be missing out on things at uni really!
I'll be 45 minutes away on a £7 train journey, so in theory I could go home every weekend if I liked. However, I like my independence so probably only for special occasions and holidays
Reply 8
squeak

I think it's absolutely fine for people to go home at weekends, it's cheaper to go out during the week anyway :p:

This is a good point, actually.
I only go home once a term and I don't think I'd go any more/less frequently if I lived nearer/further away. To be honest, I was quite surprised at how quick the term goes, and the holidays can be really long :smile:
Reply 10
Mine is 2 hours drive. But I think train would be longer as there are 3 train changes, plus the waiting in between. And it is expensive too. So I won't be going home until end of each term.
Reply 11
Depends on the distance.

A lot of freshers at QMUL are from London anyway, within an hour/two radius, so most go home on a weekend as there's not much to do anyway!
when i was at uni in nottingham the only thing i ever went home for was gigs in london, lol. tbh after 18 years i was sick of my family and couldn't wait to get away from them and get my own space. i get on better with my sister as a result now. also you miss out on so much at uni at the weekends.
I had planned on going home about once a month in the first semester (the way my family's birthdays spread out it was just going to be in time with those) but I got more homesick than I expected. After I settled in I went back to going home once a month, I'd just see how you get on, in the first semester more people go home than plan to, the first few months halls were deserted at weekends. I have a flatmate who still goes home pretty much every weekend, but I wouldn't do it, even if home and uni were closer.
Reply 14
I go home every weekend. No one really does that much on the weekends and whenever I was there for the weekend it was just soooo boring and quiet and most of my friends had gone back home anyway
I go home every weekend, weekends are bloody boring.
Reply 16
*Sparkle*
I go home every weekend, weekends are bloody boring.

Especially sundays!
6 hour drive, so I won't go home at all during a term probably.
I went home quite a lot in my first year, by the end it was every 2 weeks because I hated the place and needed to get out.

It's all about balance, as you say.
Reply 19
I'm planning on going home at weekends. I'm only an hour away from home anyway so it won't be that bad. The main reasons I wanna go home are because I want to see my boyfriend as much as possible, and to do all the washing from that week lol. I was wondering this though too, if I'd miss out on stuff at uni and if it'd look weird me going home every weekend instead of staying at uni..

Latest

Trending

Trending