The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
www.trutravels.com have a really good introductory week to Thailand for backpackers and can help arrange volunteering projects after the week if people want.
Try www.RestlessDevelopment.org/ics

They run the UK government's International Citizen Service (ICS) in partnership with a number of other organsiations, which you don't have to pay to take part in.

Placements are 10-12 weeks long in Uganda, Zambia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, India and Nepal.

It's open to 18-25 yr olds, and Team Leader roles are available for people aged 23+.

Check out the website above to find out a lot more about the programme, the aims and how to apply.

Best of luck to everyone!
Reply 82
Original post by cdchris2
Does anyone have any useful links to any companies or organisations that offer summer work in America?

I am thinking about BUNAC Work America, and would like to explore other opportunities as well.

Thanks

have a look here: http://www.realgap.co.uk/usa

I am looking for the same but I am a graduate looking for work which there seems to be nothing for! I would like to work longer than just the summer as well if anyone knows of anything??

Thanks
Reply 83
For anyone interested in volunteering/interning in the Peruvian Amazon check out the crees foundation www.crees-manu.org

If you want to see what you could get up to then watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mL4XZ5CFHM
Anyone know of anything that is really worth doing but at a very cheap price? I've got a couple of months to fill up in my gap year? :smile:
LouieSax - There are so many things you could do for a low price, what are you looking for? You could work abroad? Or intern abroad? Or take a gap year & travel? Or volunteer abroad... I guess it also depends on what countries you are looking for, maybe check a website like http://www.oneworld365.org which has hundreds of ideas in the UK & overseas.

Hope you find something :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
If anyone is looking for voluntary work abroad that is relevant to psychology I would definitely recommend SLV . I spent 3 months volunteering with them in Sri Lanka but you can volunteer anywhere between 4 and 12 weeks and they also do a placement in Bali now. I volunteered in a psychiatric facility and then I also taught people with special needs and taught English in the community. I had a really great time when I did my placement and found that it was a great way to do some voluntary work abroad while also gaining some great experience in the field of psychology. Here's the link www.slvolunteers.com and if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them :smile:
There are plenty of EVS and Erasmus programs in Europe.
Choose the one you that fits you in terms of location, pocket money and housing.
Otherwise, your experience from the positive one may turn into the one you might regret.
So, choose wisely!
Original post by LouieSax
Anyone know of anything that is really worth doing but at a very cheap price? I've got a couple of months to fill up in my gap year? :smile:

work away and WOOF are websites where you can find places that allow you to have free board and usually food in exchange for work. there's some really good opportunities and you can find somewhere in pretty much any country
I took a gap year and it was incredible. I managed to get a sponsored one by my uni and got paid to research in Thailand. Since then I've travelled all over. I've started a travel blog this lockdown for students ( backpackingscrubs.wordpress.com )If you want bespoke free travel advice drop me a message on insta @ backpacking_scrubs
Original post by Charli
http://www.yearoutgroup.org/organisations.htm

Nice big list of organisations doing gap-year projects

Thank you!!!
A lot of the gap year companies seem to have gone out of business since Covid :/ Gap Year World looks to be the best directory site since gapyear.com has now gone.
I Achieved A*AAC in maths further maths economics and physics. I wanted to take a gap year and reapply to uni. I was going to apply for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick,UCL and LSE again. The second LSE is for maths and economics. How would they view a gap year for maths and economics also should I also redo further maths in November to get A*(not too confident). I am redoing physics to get at least an A as I am confident in that.
There is a new site which I think might be pretty helpful for anyone planning gap years/work/volunteering abroad - Go Find Programs. It seems to have a lot of information and options for things to do. Also if you are wanting to learn a new language, Book My Language Course has a lot of classes and options.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest