The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

I've been given accommodation outside of the student village!

Basically I'm attending Leicester in a few weeks and applied, before the deadline, for accommodation at the Oadby Student Village where about 80-90% of the first year students go. Instead i got given a place around half an hour away (walking distance) from the student village that has never been used by the university before and wasn't even in the accommodation guide - i.e. it was impossible to even apply for. Basically the uni have got desperate as they've run out of places on the accommodation they own (this is with a private company). I've been told that there are around 150 Leicester first year undergraduates going, out of 600 rooms, which i suppose is good. But i was wondering from maybe someone who has been at uni for at least a year (not necessarily at Leicester) what they thought about a fresher being outside of the general fresher area. With regards to the accommodation it is closer to the uni (thus the union) than Oadby but 30 min away from the sports facilities (at Oadby). I just thought it would be interesting to see some one's opinion about whether this would put me at a serious disadvantage regarding fitting in and enjoying the first year...
are you in Filbert student village?
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
well, on the positive side, at least you have somewhere to stay, which hasn't been the case for everyone this year.
Filbert Village is good accommodation, you'll be able to walk to uni for lectures/union events/ to use the gym in the union, and you'll save money on the bus pass :smile:
Going into my second year, in my opinion, people not living in the student village in Oadby won't be disadvantaged when it comes to making friends and enjoying your first year. It's fine.
If you're really bothered, you could ask the accommodation office to put you on the waiting list for the student village (If you're still on speaking terms with them!), but don't count on it. Personally I wouldn't bother, unless you're seriously concerned about finance for the year, in which case there may be some people who've been given Mary Gee that might swap. The cancellation policy might be different, since Filbert is owned by Unite, not sure what would apply and what wouldn't since Leicester Uni gave you the room and stuff, but check it out if you decide to move.

Latest

Trending

Trending