The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They check all your UMS scores. When you apply they provide a sheet to detail all your module UMS marks and whether you intend to retake or not. Those are good marks though, S1 is still a high B.
What do you mean "check"? They look at them, but there's no set criteria. It's quite common for people to still get in with a few relatively poor modules and most importantly, your core maths UMS is high.
Reply 3
I doubt they'll be too fussed about your ability to handle Venn diagrams and histograms. :p:
Wouldn't it have been bizarre for the OP to post in the aptly named "Cambridge" sub-forum.

Mental!
DeanK2
I hope they don't:
C1 - 91
C2 - 95
C3 - 96
C4 - 97
S1 - 77

Awful S1 - is it even worth applying, or will I get rejected on terms of UMS?

I hate s1 and s2, all of my core C1-c3 and M1 are in 90s but stats killed it .. anyway, im not applying to maths.

Stats is a killer i do agree.

Wow, ur C4 is impressive !!!!
Reply 6
sam1990
They check all your UMS scores. When you apply they provide a sheet to detail all your module UMS marks and whether you intend to retake or not. Those are good marks though, S1 is still a high B.

:ditto: and what Glutamic Acid said, too. I wouldn't worry about it too much OP, I doubt it would affect your chance of getting an offer against all the other things they look at, it's only a minor thing.
nothign to be worried about. though for a maths applicant your UMS on the whole are nothign better than standard.
Reply 8
S1 is a joke module anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it. your C marks are high enough anyway, and i am assuming you M marks are of a similar standard. It is only slightly worrying given that that is commonly thought of to be (along with d1) the lowest standard paper generally, but its hardly a big deal compared to the rest of your application
Core is easily good enough for an interview, and if that goes well (and C3/4 in particular look promising) I would be surprised if they were too worried about S1.
Yes they do look at UMS for all subjects, how much store they set by them is up to individual colleges/subject tutors. To reiterate what others have said, that is a very strong suit of maths scores, it should in no way discourage you from applying. Cambridge requires very good marks, not perfect ones.
Reply 11
They look at UMS for everything basically (apart from general studies and things like that). I wouldn't worry too much about S1, your core modules are amazing..!! Especially C4...I only managed 81. All my core marks get worse along the way, I'm hoping they won't pick that up. Anyway, definitely apply.
Reply 12
Flozza_X
They look at UMS for everything basically (apart from general studies and things like that). I wouldn't worry too much about S1, your core modules are amazing..!!

Not to put a downer on this thread but the UMS marks (by themselves) are not amazing when compared to the people he'll be competing against. Closer to average I'd say.
Reply 13
Yeah - they are pretty bad. I only realised I wanted to study mathematics about 2 days ago, so for the past year have done little work in lessons. I also spent the past few months preparing for a chemistry interview - not very useful if I do get an interview for maths
Reply 14
yusufu
Not to put a downer on this thread but the UMS marks (by themselves) are not amazing when compared to the people he'll be competing against. Closer to average I'd say.

Are you actually kidding? Average?!!?!
My average is 94.6% over 7 modules...but I'm applying for Natsci. Is that still average?!
Reply 15
Many people get 600
Reply 16
Out of what? 600??!!??
Reply 17
Flozza_X
Are you actually kidding? Average?!!?!
My average is 94.6% over 7 modules...but I'm applying for Natsci. Is that still average?!

Average for people applying to do maths at cambridge? Yes. Average for people who take A level maths? Hell no!

I can't speak for Natsci but your marks sound good in general.:smile:
I'm in the same boat. 71 in M2 and 76 in S2, which are both severely disappointing when you look at the bigger picture: 98, 97, 91, 100, 95, 100 in C1-4, M1, S2. My Physics scores are similarly, though by no means as drastically, skewed (100, 87, 98) - so I only hope that, should I be called for interview, I do enough to tip the balance in my favour.
Reply 19
It really does piss me off. I hope that we'll get called for interview. What college have you chosen anyway?

Latest

Trending

Trending