The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes.
Reply 2
Of course.
Well I don't know what you classify as the top 5 but you should be able to get into a top university with those grades assuming you do well on any entry test you may have to do, get good AS levels and have good GCSEs.
Reply 4
elliot22
I'm taking at AS:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Chemistry
General Studies

If I dropped one of the subjects (excluding GS) would I still be able to get into a top university with 4 A*s (3 without GS).

If not, what is required in terms of results to get into a top 5 university to take Maths at degree level.

you will only need 3 As, not 3 A*s :smile: (excluding GS as no good universities really take notice of it :smile: ). Most have said that they will NOT be including A*s in their first few years of implementation until their usefulness is ascertained.
elliot22
I'm taking at AS:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Chemistry
General Studies

If I dropped one of the subjects (excluding GS) would I still be able to get into a top university with 4 A*s (3 without GS).

If not, what is required in terms of results to get into a top 5 university to take Maths at degree level.

GCSEs?
Reply 6
my mate got like CC...he's off at london met or summit and he's gonna be loaded
you'll be absolutely fine. I am doing similar a levels to you, apart from I'm doing biology instead of general.

All of those a levels are very well respected.
i am a pleb

:rofl::yep:
Reply 9
No, I hear you'll need at least 6 A* grades at A-level to even have a remote chance of getting into any uni in the top 35.
nuodai
No, I hear you'll need at least 6 A* grades at A-level to even have a remote chance of getting into any uni in the top 35.

nah. my mate got 4Cs and a D at GCSE and got into LJM...he says its ****** awesome
Reply 11
nuodai

good lord nuodai, replace St. Andrews with Imperial and we are applying to the same Unis :eek:

:biggrin:
i am a pleb
nah. my mate got 4Cs and a D at GCSE and got into LJM...he says its ****** awesome

he was joking..lol
i am a pleb

For your trolling records, anyone who defines themself as a pleb isn't one.
Reply 14
i am a pleb

:troll:???
jismith1989
For your trolling records, anyone who defines themself as a pleb isn't one.

wtf iz my trolling records?
Yes. Of course.

But you also need excellent / good GCSEs with nothing but As/A*s and Bs. Also, you have to have a strong personality, oozing persona/intellect and be an all round person who has a major interest, and many part time activities (but generally these apply to Oxbridge applicants)

If you give/get :
A*s and As at GCSE.
As at AS and A2
A good reference from your college/employer/school
An ultra good personal statement
A striking interview
An a great extra curricular record

Why not! :P
Mithra
you will only need 3 As, not 3 A*s :smile: (excluding GS as no good universities really take notice of it :smile: ). Most have said that they will NOT be including A*s in their first few years of implementation until their usefulness is ascertained.

Phew! :woo:

Latest