The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmmm, not sure. I don't think you can buy codeine based ones, so that pretty much leaves paracetamol and ibruprofen. If you need stronger painkillers than those, I would suggest you see a dr.
Reply 2
Co-codamol + cold water extraction would leave you with a solution of relatively pure codeine.

Probably strongest without prescription.
Reply 3
Can you get co-codamol without a prescription?
Reply 4
You can take 3x200mg ibuprofen (600mg), along side paracetamol and codeine
Reply 5
co-codamol.. otc.. no prescription required.
Reply 6
Egypt
Can you get co-codamol without a prescription?

You can get co-codamol 8/500 i.e 8mg of codeine per tablet - but not the stronger forms such as 30/500.
Yes. But you can get stronger co-codamol with a prescription. The prescription ones make me feel funny though, in a bad way.

(replying to person who asked if you can get it over the counter)
buy a brand of pain killer called Co-proxamol. i took this when i had wisdom teeth removed and it really does the job :smile:

actually scrap that, seems it was withdrawn due to so many people using it for suicide. shame, it was a damn good pain killer.

but any codein based pain killer will do the job :wink:
Reply 9
Yeh you can buy co-codamol in most places. Asda's own is pretty cheap and does exactly the same as expensive versions.
Reply 10
Ive been doing a bit of research and i think the strongest one without seeing the Doc is Paramol (Paracetamol 500mg + Dihydrocodine 7.5mg). Dihydrocodine is different from normal standard pain killers as its a opiate and therefore doesnt mask the pain but instead just makes you less bothered about it sort of thing. Anyone else agree?
Reply 11
Yeah as others have said- codeine medicines. There is also a very strong migraine pill you can get OTC - but you do have to fill in a load of forms before they give it to you. Neither of those two should be taken unless you really need it.
Reply 12
Ataloss
You can get co-codamol 8/500 i.e 8mg of codeine per tablet - but not the stronger forms such as 30/500.

Aha, I was wondering. I automatically think of 30/500! Suppose I ought to know what you can buy over the counter and what you can't!
Reply 13
Boots sell Paracetamol with Codeine caplets OTC. They are curently on offer at £1.59 for a 32 pack.
What kind of pain is it? Codeine is only effective for certain types.
Be careful with codeine. It can cause hallucinations in some people (such as me!).
tasGooner
What is the strongest pain killer i can buy OTC?

co codamol which is paracetamol and codeine, or you can buy branded painkillers such as paramol or solpadiene max
Reply 16
The answer to this question depends on the individual (different drugs, notably codeine, are metabolised differently in different people) and the pain (NSAIDs are normally better for musculoskeletal pain).

If you were interested Bandolier's 'League Table' is here; http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/painpag/acutrev/analgesics/leagtab.html

As a practical matter, the best analgesia is often obtained from mixing paracetamol with an NSAID and a weak opioid.
Reply 17
happy-and-lost
Be careful with codeine. It can cause hallucinations in some people (such as me!).
Codeine's side effects are neither particularly bad or particularly unusual...
Reply 18
tasGooner
Ive been doing a bit of research and i think the strongest one without seeing the Doc is Paramol (Paracetamol 500mg + Dihydrocodine 7.5mg).
Non-propriety Co-Dydramol comes in 10/500 and costs much less. :wink: EDIT: Sorry that's a PoM.

Dihydrocodine is different from normal standard pain killers as its a opiate and therefore doesnt mask the pain but instead just makes you less bothered about it sort of thing. Anyone else agree?
Absolutely not.
Reply 19
Go to your pharmacy and ask the for advice. Painkillers work differently depending on the pain you have an it's a bit irresponsible to listen to advice from a forum if you're looking for good advice.

For the record, I work in a pharmacy and the strongest OTC is Paramol.

Latest