The Student Room Group

Formulae and naming... :S

I'm stuck on some questions that are probably so simple but i'm completely stuck and missing the point.

1) 'give the formulae of the following'. (i'll give a few examples not all of them)
- Oxygen
- Hydrogen Sulphide

I know the easier ones such as oxygen. 02

But I'm wondering when it has an element and it says like SO3 etc....well i have no idea what to write for the little number like the 2 in 02 well why's it 3 or 4 on some etc? I read that it applies to what 'period' it's in in the periodic table. But then there's other questions asking me to:

'give the names' of some chemicals and it only gives me the formula. such as NH4CL

and when its giving me the formula of some chemicals reacted, some of the 'little numbers' change from their 'period number' to something else..why is this? :s

Sorry for my bad chemistry :\ I'm probably missing a really obvious point here and its hard for me to explain ..but for the life of me i cant work it out. i dont get why the 'little number (whats it called?!) changes or dissapears when things react :\

thank you for anyone who can explain this for me i feel so silly asking :frown:
The little numbers are to do with the valency of each element. You see, Oxygen is in group 6, so it has a valency of 2, right? Meaning that 2 other atoms can connect on to it. But it creates a double bond with another oxygen atom, so there's just 2 in the molecule.

For the "give the names" - you look at each ion individually and just name them both. So, NH4Cl would be ammonium choride. NH4 being ammonium, and Cl being chlorine.

Does that help?
Reply 2
OriginofSymmetry
The little numbers are to do with the valency of each element. You see, Oxygen is in group 6, so it has a valency of 2, right? Meaning that 2 other atoms can connect on to it. But it creates a double bond with another oxygen atom, so there's just 2 in the molecule.

For the "give the names" - you look at each ion individually and just name them both. So, NH4Cl would be ammonium choride. NH4 being ammonium, and Cl being chlorine.

Does that help?

yes that helps a lot especially the first bit!!! thank you :biggrin:

Latest