Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in for personalised advice on applying to uni New here? Join for free to post

UCAS Points?

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit confused about these, I'm doing my UCAS application at the moment and have noticed that on the league tables universities that have typical offers of AAA/AAB are asking for 460+ UCAS points. I got AAAB at AS level (excluding general studies A) so I would have 420 points if I got 3 A's in my chosen subjects?

My school has barely mentioned them (they only talk about grades and module marks) and none of the university websites I have looked at have given typical offers in points, they are all in grades. Wondering how relevant they are?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To the best of my knowledge it is just a statistics based on the students who have taken up admissions. They include all UCAS points one achieves incd things like speech and drama, music, key level skills etc along with usual A level grade points. This is not an admission criteria.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    just look at the grades that's all you neeeeeed
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by causality)
    Bit confused about these, I'm doing my UCAS application at the moment and have noticed that on the league tables universities that have typical offers of AAA/AAB are asking for 460+ UCAS points. I got AAAB at AS level (excluding general studies A) so I would have 420 points if I got 3 A's in my chosen subjects?

My school has barely mentioned them (they only talk about grades and module marks) and none of the university websites I have looked at have given typical offers in points, they are all in grades. Wondering how relevant they are?
    They're not asking for 460 points at all. Look at your statistics more carefully!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnshan)
    To the best of my knowledge it is just a statistics based on the students who have taken up admissions. They include all UCAS points one achieves incd things like speech and drama, music, key level skills etc along with usual A level grade points. This is not an admission criteria.
    :ditto: It's just a guideline to give you an idea of what other people who got in get on average, they're not "asking for" that many points. The grades are the most important thing, I'm assuming they make offers based only on grades and not UCAS points instead (some unis use a combination of both but most top ones (AAA/AAB) only use grades). The average points includes GenStudies btw, though they most probably don't include it as part of any offer - just shows that it's a guideline, nothing to do with offers as such.
    • 4 followers

(Original post by causality)
    Bit confused about these, I'm doing my UCAS application at the moment and have noticed that on the league tables universities that have typical offers of AAA/AAB are asking for 460+ UCAS points
    No they're not. The unis ask for AAA/AAB and that's all they'll give you as an offer. The average student who is accepted has 460+ UCAS points, but that is the amount of points gained regardless of the offer. For example, a student going to a uni that has an entry requirement of BBB (=300 points) will probably end up with, on average, in the region of 400 UCAS points (if you include General Studies etc). It's the amount of UCAS points the person gets that goes into the league tables, not the amount they're asked for
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks a lot for clearing that up for me!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2008
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.