The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Bumblebee3
You've put your finger on an important point there, Cambridge make a huge deal about the potential a candidate has to improve, which is why the grades matter less than what the admissions tutor discovers at interview with regard to a candidate's capacity to progress. You may be the better mathematician now, but they are more interested in potential than current status. Interviews test potential not what you already know.

But isn't being a better mathematician the same thing as having more potential? How else can one define a good mathematician? The whole premise behind an elite university is that it takes people who are naturally talented and gives them the resources they need to develop their talent. Mathematics is one of the subjects in which natural talent is most important (another is music). What is meant, anyway, by "capacity to progress"? In one sense of the phrase, the people who have the most capacity to progress are the people who have had no mathematical education at all. In some sense, education can do more for the people with no natural talent at all than for those with a great deal. But that is not the sort of education that Cambridge seeks to offer.
Reply 601
Hey, I got a letter from Downing today (14th, but dated 12th - still using second class :rolleyes: ) informing me of my rejection. Not too suprised, but feeling a little deflated atm. ah well, may reapply next year, if I get the grades, or may go to Nottingham (if they give me an offer :p: )
fiat_lux!
But isn't being a better mathematician the same thing as having more potential? How else can one define a good mathematician? The whole premise behind an elite university is that it takes people who are naturally talented and gives them the resources they need to develop their talent. Mathematics is one of the subjects in which natural talent is most important (another is music). What is meant, anyway, by "capacity to progress"? In one sense of the phrase, the people who have the most capacity to progress are the people who have had no mathematical education at all. In some sense, education can do more for the people with no natural talent at all than for those with a great deal. But that is not the sort of education that Cambridge seeks to offer.

Cambridge do not accept people with no mathematical background for maths. In interviews they look for the capacity to progress beyond A'level. Whilst a candidate could be excellent at his/her current level that does not necessarily mean they have the capacity to go above and beyond that level. Let us not forget that this person has self-defined himself as a 'better mathematician' than a successful candidate despite his lower grades. He has not mentioned the issue of potential, which is why I raised it for consideration.

When the uni talks about the 'capacity to progress' they usually say 'the capacity to progress beyond A' level'. The uni decides that some candidates, whilst their A'levels results are exemplary, do not have the capacity to develop their skills as far as some other candidates. This is exactly why the newspapers get littered with stories about how candidates with 6As get rejected whilst others with AAB get accepted.
Reply 603
Subject: MML
Original college: King's
Outcome: Unsuccessful

Didn't want to go there anyway *sniff*

Latest

Trending

Trending