The Student Room Group

A Level Choices.

Just recently, I gave my Edexcel O Levels - I got 5 A's (Biology, Math, Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and English Literature), 2 B's (Chemistry and Math) and 1 C (Physics).
My parents thought my grades sucked, mainly because they have that sick mindset I should be a doctor/engineer.
I, however, actually am considering going into corporate law, or journalism. But I'm not completely decided yet.

Thing is for A Levels I don't think I want to take the sciences (Physics, Biology, Chemistry) at all. I honestly do not know what made me think about taking them in the first place for my O Levels, besides the fact that I moved here from high school and I was confused about O Levels in general to begin with.

For A Levels, I'm thinking I'll take Biology, Psychology, Government & Politics, Math and maybe English Literature.
(they don't offer English language unfortunately or I would have taken it in a heartbeat)

I do really want to change my subjects, but my friends and family alike are saying I should just stick to sciences, and I'll regret changing them at all.

Anyone go through drastic subject change? Was it horrible/terrible/amazing/life-altering? Opinions?

Also, for those taking Government & Politics, how do you like it? Is it interesting or boring as hell?

Thank you.
Do you want to do Medicine? If you do then you should definitely take Chemistry and Biology. It doesn't really matter which A Levels you take if you're thinking of a career in Law. Maths, English Lit, G+P and Psychology would be a great combination :yes:
just go with what subjects YOU want to do. It isn't up to your friends is it?
If you want to go into law of journalism then you go for it and forget what everybody thinks. Of course if your parents are being stubborn it won't be easy, but they can't force you into anything so just stick with it!
I think maths, biology, english lit and any other subject of your choice would give you a shot at anything (other than medicine) to be honest. :smile:
Reply 4
piece_by_piece
Do you want to do Medicine? If you do then you should definitely take Chemistry and Biology. It doesn't really matter which A Levels you take if you're thinking of a career in Law. Maths, English Lit, G+P and Psychology would be a great combination :yes:

Not at all.
And yes, thank you.
I think it's the constant question that people like to ask "what if you regret it?" that gets to me.
Plus the A Level adviser was spewing all this stuff about how every subject that isn't a science subject will get you no where if you really think about it, and I was sitting there with no idea why she even got the job as a counselor if she was going to be such a discouraging, blubbering idiot.

Cartesian_
just go with what subjects YOU want to do. It isn't up to your friends is it?
If you want to go into law of journalism then you go for it and forget what everybody thinks. Of course if your parents are being stubborn it won't be easy, but they can't force you into anything so just stick with it!

I know, and my sister is actually doing sciences but then she has this clear cut ambition to be a cardiologist, whereas I am still undecided really.
Thank you, though.

I think I will just take those subjects, I do want to know though how government and politics is as a subject. I've heard from many that it's a dry and tedious subject but others say its fascinating. I'm guessing it's all a mater of perspective.

Latest