The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Handsolo
If you are using torrents you are a NOOB anways!

Are you 12 or something?
Reply 21
Forgive me but I have a few quibbles with all this copywright infringement business

1. More than 10% of the UK population are file sharers (according to Harris Interactive) so unless the current government would like to lose a lot of votes, there won't be a lot of action. The Digital Economy Act proves this - it relies on ISPs doing all sorts of things and providing customer's details that would be detrimental to their business because unless all of the ISPs were doing the same things, customers who received a warning letter would simply switch providers. TalkTalk even called it a breach of human rights!

2. My idea of copyright infringement is that, in the case of P2P, it is the person distributing the material...and intentionally for financial gain who is the illegal party. Is recording television illegal? No. So is recording music from the radio illegal? No. Therefore downloading music is no different from recording radio as far as the recording label is concerned - they still don't have your money!

3. I forget which group said this but a band once leaked their latest album online over torrents because they saw it as the best form of marketing. Music is available for free online, it is also available for sale online (Amazon MP3, iTunes, etc.), and also available on the high street through stores like HMV, etc. If people like the music they've listened to, they will generally buy it so the money goes to the well deserving artists. I see P2P as giving the consumer a choice - that is what open source is all about. That is what Tim Burners-Lee wanted the internet to be.

4. You wouldn't steal a car
You wouldn't steal a handbag
You wouldn't steal a mobile phone
You wouldn't steal a movie
Movie piracy is stealing
Stealing is against the law
Piracy. It's a crime.
As far as the law is concerned, copyright infringement does not equate to theft unlike this unskippable clip (which is only viewable when one has bought or rented the film 'legally') would have you believe.

Rant over, let the criticisms begin!

Latest

Trending

Trending