The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
rockrunride
It's not liberal to hate the United States. It might be seen as liberal to disagree with some of the government's policies, but not to "hate" America because you don't think the same way as their politicians.

I know many who think this way and still eat at McDonalds.

I completely agree. That's why I said people who like to think of themselves as liberally minded ... I am a liberal myself. I just hate the hypocrisy of some of the quotes from people who would most likely consider themselves liberal.
Reply 81
Going off on a tangent, for some reason I assume everyone on the internet is American. Or that there's a kind of internet land where you little people live and its a kingdom of 15-year old male teenagers and its probably located somewhere across the atlantic.
Because it feels like a defamation of the english language, especially as it is originally from here. If you're a nice (unstereotypical) american, it'll show and everyone will love you.

There's also something about the accent (possibly) that makes people who speak it sound as if they think they are supreme, or know-it-alls. Or maybe that's just the stereotypical americans.
Reply 83
i like a certain american accent... canadian yeah
Reply 84
Blue Rose
Because it feels like a defamation of the english language, especially as it is originally from here.

Actually I believe linguists have said that the Appalachian accent in the U.S. is probably much closer to what was spoken in England in Elizabethan times than any of our own accents today. Accents in the UK have evolved just as much since then as they have in America. Various American pronunciations are actually closer to the original pronunciation than our own.
Because their self-congratulatory adenoidal drawl is like sandpaper to the ears.
Reply 86
My mother who is from Canada taught me words which would commonly be used there, such as couch, sidewalk and garbage. People tell me "You aren't American, stop using those stupid words". I've actually gotten stick from people because she's foreign.

In terms of an American accents sounding bad, it all depends on the person just like in England.

A little off topic, occasionally people tell me that they can hear the North American accent in my voice. How the hell would I have picked up an accent, I moved here when I was two! :mad: :mad:

A little off topic, occasionally people tell me that they can hear the North American accent in my voice. How the hell would I have picked up an accent, I moved here when I was two! :mad: :mad:

Did you pick it up from your Mom?
I dont hate the american accent. Most of my favourite actors are american. I have a Canadian teacher in school and she is one of the nicest teachers there! She's really nice. I hate it when people in school make jokes about Americans and I tell them to shut up.
LeTigre
Would you generalise other nationalities in the way you are generalising Americans?

Yes, of course I would.
Scotland = ginger savages
Welsh = sheep shaggers
France = WE SURRENDER!
Germany = hyper efficiency
Australia = Crocodile Dundee
Austria = leiderhosen unt schnitzel
Italian = greasy perverts (men)
...etc

:proud:
Reply 90
I don't mind American accents. I just hate George Bush's accent because you can't take him seriously when he makes speeches.
sunspoon
I don't mind American accents. I just hate George Bush's accent because you can't take him seriously when he makes speeches.

I agree, I find his accent really annoying, but there are worse accents out there... like australian. mainly because I can't understand a word they are saying.
Reply 92
Oz + Kiwi accents are awesome. South African even better. tbh I really don't mind accents, although theres a guy on the bbc whose accent i loathe with a passion - cant remmeber his name though.
I don't hate the accent, just the tourists. They're loud, stupid, fat and ugly
Reply 94
Some American Accents are really lovely. the problem is that the ones that you see on holiday are, for some reason, gut-wrenchingly annoying.

I do not consider Americans to be stupid, except a couple that I've encountered on my travels. If the OP does come to study here they shouldn't have too much of a problem, but it might be a good idea to try to adapt your accent to provide a distinctive hybrid of the two :p:
I love the Irish accent, and I love Jared Padaleki's acent, he is originally from Texas, but he had to drop the Texan accent because of his acting. Apparently his drama teacher told him to. Sometimes though, in an interview or something, you can still hear his Texan side coming through.
Don't worry, people tease me about my accent all the time but they all do it with love :yep:

No ones gonna hate you unless your a douche bag or something :ninja:
As a Canadian who is beginning study in the UK, and who has been here for only a month so far, I would agree with the advice given to make it known that you are Canadian. In the past month, I have received some terrible service at restaurants because our server thought we were American; I have seen people's attitudes suddenly change from wary to friendly on being told we were from Canada rather than the US. The amount of anti-Americanism here seems to be quite strong.

Of course, I don't mean to represent all Brits as anti-American, and certainly most of the people I have met are quite lovely, but some just cannot seem to get past the accent, so to speak.

I don't know. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, but that's what I've noticed so far.

Absolutely love the various British accents, though - haven't heard a bad one yet.
Reply 98
Because the American accent is not only whiny and droney but makes everything the person says sound annoyingly enthusiastic.
:shock: really??

Where do you study, I'm just wondering ... cuz in London, I haven't really come across any anti-Americanism :no:

Maybe its different for girls?

Latest

Trending

Trending