The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Watching it now... I can tell I'm just going to get stressed!
Reply 2
franpgb
I saw it last night, though missed the first 10 minutes or so when it introduced them.

I thought my parents were strict. Although the Dad had best intentions at heart or whatever (maybe), and was supportive, it was mental how you had no privacy and going out was a treat. Crazy.

ugh I know. I couldn't live without privacy. And the British kids actually had a point when they said that the other kids wouldn't be ready for the 'big bad world' - wrapping people up in bubble wrap for their entire lives = BAD IDEA.

Having said that, you're right, the dad DID have good intentions. Although I still think he was ridiculously over protective.
" You can't say Fbomb and Ahole"..

Poor kids. They can't cuss. I mean I know there is more to life than cussing but ugh. I don't think I could cope. and looking at my iPod? BAHH! I really would hate that..
Reply 4
The Dad and "Mom" had the best of intentions but with no privacy and no trust with their children it really is quite finatical about their whole idea of parenting.
Reply 5
"Sataaan is tryin' to drag ma children inta the DARRKNESSS!"

Dear god...

And then that weird ginger guy who seems to think smoking is like taking cocaine or something! These kids are brainwashed. In fact, the scary thing is that they aren't kids. They're treated like children until about 20.
Reply 6
OOOH NO

YOU DROPPED....
THE F BOMB

duh duh duh

The F Bomb (seriously wtf)
I'm suprised the children haven't rebelled. But I suppose to them rebelling would be ....coming in at half 9, having a drink, having the wrong song on their iPod....

If someone went through my stuff like that I would have KICKED off. But the teenagers were a bit bratty about the charity work, like the guy when his shoes got dirty :roll eyes: I was like get a grip!!
Reply 7
Uh, am I the only one who thought the homeless guy being thrown out was more messed up than the parents? The parents, or dad, were just overprotective and misguided about how to deal with it.
Reply 8
I watched the last half hour, and wow, it was horribly weird. :s-smilie: Them kids are so overprotected, urgh, that father was terrible. He might have good intentions, but no, just no.

iPlayer here i come!
Reply 9
The advert made me want to watch it, but I forgot
Reply 10
Charlybob
Uh, am I the only one who thought the homeless guy being thrown out was more messed up than the parents? The parents, or dad, were just overprotective and misguided about how to deal with it.

It's ludicrous, but I think what he did was illegal in Alabama. The legal smoking age is 19, and they were trying to raise it to 21 last year. Not sure if they succeeded.
Reply 11
Charlybob

Yeah I totally thought that was messed up. It was like, WTF he made ONE mistake.
Dionysus
It's ludicrous, but I think what he did was illegal in Alabama. The legal smoking age is 19, and they were trying to raise it to 21 last year. Not sure if they succeeded.
Oh yeah, I know it was illegal, but what the hell, throw him out for that? Did it ever even say he knew she was underage or anything? It's even worse if he didn't.

It's not like he threw the guy out onto a street where he'd be able to cope. You heard him talking to the girl, it was very possible that he could get killed because they kicked him out. Can you imagine the affect that must have had on her, "You pretty much killed this guy, all for that cigarette". I know they're trying to get them to act more sensibly, but that's almost as nasty as throwing the guy out over something so small.
Reply 13
Charlybob
Oh yeah, I know it was illegal, but what the hell, throw him out for that? Did it ever even say he knew she was underage or anything? It's even worse if he didn't.

It's not like he threw the guy out onto a street where he'd be able to cope. You heard him talking to the girl, it was very possible that he could get killed because they kicked him out. Can you imagine the affect that must have had on her, "You pretty much killed this guy, all for that cigarette". I know they're trying to get them to act more sensibly, but that's almost as nasty as throwing the guy out over something so small.

Quite true. I was also pretty shocked by the appearance of those homeless people in the first place. I mean, they were virtually dressed in rags. They looked like the prisoners in The Shawshank Redemption. Clearly this charity is doing some good, but the lack of any apparent effort by society generally in America to help them is awful.
Reply 14
I lol'ed.
Did you see when he screamed at the fish.

And I thought my parents are strict.
Wowza'.
You need to understand how programmes like this are researched and produced. First of all, the production company will advertise in small ads in such publications as TV Times or in daily newspapers for "this is a new reality tv show looking for strict parents. If you are a strict parent, stricter than the norm, then get in touch with this number and, if successful, you will receive a handsome fee for your co-operation".

Now, if those parents were as strict as they made out, why on earth would they allow a TV camera to follow them around in their homes, analysing their lifestyle, and exposing their children's faces to the world at large? Surely 'Satan' could be construed as anyone who makes/watches reality TV shows like that. :rolleyes:

Those parents probably bought the kids an iPhone each with the money they got from the producers.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
You need to understand how programmes like this are researched and produced. First of all, the production company will advertise in small ads in such publications as TV Times or in daily newspapers for "this is a new reality tv show looking for strict parents. If you are a strict parent, stricter than the norm, then get in touch with this number and, if successful, you will receive a handsome fee for your co-operation".

Now, if those parents were as strict as they made out, why on earth would they allow a TV camera to follow them around in their homes, analysing their lifestyle, and exposing their children's faces to the world at large? Surely 'Satan' could be construed as anyone who makes/watches reality TV shows like that. :rolleyes:

Those parents probably bought the kids an iPhone each with the money they got from the producers.

Warning : This post may contain groundless assumptions and a lack of reasoned argument
sidewalkwhenshewalks
Warning : This post may contain groundless assumptions and a lack of reasoned argument

while what you said is true, i believe it is safe to assume what he/she said is probably also true!
:biggrin:
Reply 18
Lool i have seen the first half on iplayer gonna watch the second half tomorrow tooo tired!
Reply 19
i watched it last night on BBC3.. the one where that girl ans guy went to alabama
twas innerresting i have to say
Ergh the unruly son got on my nerrrrves cannot believe his said hes love to see his mum and dad burn alive and then take a picture of it.. errgh God forbid!!!

Latest