The Student Room Group

Protein Powder: Questions and Advice Thread

Scroll to see replies

Your trainer wants you to be 55 kg.

Get a new trainer.
Lol. What do you think is a more realistic target then?
Reply 142
How tall are you?
Reply 143
how tall are you?
5ft4-5
Reply 145
160lbs+
I'm 65kg, which is considerably less than that, and there is no way I could possibly need to gain weight as I have plenty of fat to lose, particularly in the stomach area and on the thighs. I need to lose weight not gain it.
Reply 147
160lbs lean is better than 120lbs lean
Reply 148
Bebbs
how tall are you?

Copyfag! haha.

Bebbs
160lbs+

160+ sounds a bit much for someone 5'5". I would've thought 140-160 would be decent.
Reply 149
jonnyboy21
I'm 65kg, which is considerably less than that, and there is no way I could possibly need to gain weight as I have plenty of fat to lose, particularly in the stomach area and on the thighs. I need to lose weight not gain it.

Muscle is denser than fat - what people here are suggesting is not that you gain fat but rather gain muscle. You can lose fat in the process.
Yes, I wouldn't mind muscle taking up more mass but I've got to lose the fat also so I have to make a compromise. I have to build muscle AND lose fat so I can't just "bulk up" as such without being careful with what I'm eating. Also could you please give your thoughts on using semi-skimmed milk as I said and also elaborate on the resistance machines? Is it because of my age and body because I see you've recommended it to others. (Read above for those who want to help in addition to Bebbs to know what i'm talking about :smile:)

Thanks
Reply 151
rummang
Copyfag! haha.

160+ sounds a bit much for someone 5'5". I would've thought 140-160 would be decent.

no sir, you are the phagg.

Yeah, if they were a fully developed male maybe. This guy is in or approaching puberty, he will grow a few inches, inwhich case 160lbs may turn out to be low.

WRT to the skimmed milk, it may well be the most homo drink around, that doesn't require a cocktail glass and an umbrella. The fat in full fat milk is good for you, boosts test production etc.

WRT to the resistance machines, what I said is not a "theory", but the first arguement against machine that I could think of. Probably the most pertinent. They are less effective than freeweights for several reasons.
So i could use full fat milk in my shakes each time without hindering my fat loss?
Reply 153
As longas it fits into your daily calories. Drinking several gallons of full fat milk is not optimal for fat loss. A gallon is good for weight gain though.
You don't say "WRT to..." The T in WRT stands for "to."
Reply 155
Hey all, so its the start of the winter season and land training, meaning lots of weights and long ergs. I was planning on getting some protein powder but I really don't know much about it. I know it should be whey protein but looking arond on http://www.myprotein.co.uk/ there are loads of different types of whey too, can anyone tell me which is best? When should I take it, just after training?

Thanks.
aeonflux
Hey all, so its the start of the winter season and land training, meaning lots of weights and long ergs. I was planning on getting some protein powder but I really don't know much about it. I know it should be whey protein but looking arond on http://www.myprotein.co.uk/ there are loads of different types of whey too, can anyone tell me which is best? When should I take it, just after training?

Right first nail your diet then possibly look at supplements. Good meal balance, ie; 1/2 a meal should be veg, 1/4 from a carb source and 1/4 protein. It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to put on weight/muscle scale up the portion sizes, maintain your weight keep everything the same, lose weight, cut back on the portion sizing. If your diet is good you have little or no need to turn to supplements.

If you want to gain muscle ideally you're going to want 1g/lb of bodyweight, plus an extra 500cals. Now ideally you're going to want a whey shake after a workout. However if you are still struggling to get enough protein in your diet, which you shouldn't, then possibly consider further supplementing your diet with whey shakes on top of the usual workout shakes.

As for whey goes; http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-protein/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)/ is what you want. Cheap, high quality, just what your muscles need. Maybe even include some flavouring as well. And if you use the code MP26240 at the checkout you'll get a further 5% off your order.
As above but if you row at a reasonably high level you need a lot more carbs. However make sure you get it from a good source.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

Although this isn't the be all and end all for telling the quality of a food source, generally the lower the value of the food, the better it'll be for you.

Also if you buy bulk unflavoured, make sure you get some sort of flavouring to mix in or you'll probably never have any of it.
Reply 159
well, i'm guessing you row at a high level, so you're diet should be ok.

Just east pasta for when ergoing.

I wouldn't advise any shaes, because you could throw up after long ergos.

for weight training, then again, eat pasta, but take no2 instead.

Quick Reply

Latest