The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
Technically not but LOADS of people do and no-one says anything. Just don't bring a noisy one.

If I had a silent one, I would have done it, it's bloody useful.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Guy on my corridor got away with having one in his room all year. But then our cleaners were known to come across bags of drugs and ignore them, so maybe they'd be stricter elsewhere :rolleyes:
Reply 3
does anyone know what is and isn't allowed in rooms? (or where to find a list!)
Reply 4
jamesair99
does anyone know what is and isn't allowed in rooms? (or where to find a list!)

I think it's in your pack that you get when you arrive (a bit late then...) but might be in the accommodation bit of the website.
IIRC, you're allowed one as long as it doesn't use a compressor, which most fridges do :wink:
Reply 6
I don't think you're allowed one, but I a great big noisy one and no-one said anything.

I don't think you're supposed have things like kettles, electric blankets or irons either - but again, nothing was said about it.
Reply 7
You're not allowed any electricals with a heating or cooling element in them, it's in the accommodation handbook come contract you get before signing for your room. The cleaners don't care much, but estates might if they ever have reason to visit your room (you'll have some warning of this though).
Reply 8
Dez
You're not allowed any electricals with a heating or cooling element in them

No kettles?

My Pot Noodle collection had better not go to waste...

3 for £2 at Tesco atm...

Nooooooooooooooooodleees
Reply 9
Kettle in the kitchen instead? I'm sure your love of Pot Noodles will be able to overcome a 30 second walk to the kitchen :P

I think the main reason kettles, etc, aren't allowed in the rooms is that the smoke alarm is more sensitive, so is likely to be set off by steam, plus some rooms have circuit breakers which the extra load of a kettle may set off.

Latest

Trending

Trending