The Student Room Group

SAQ how to fill in? I don't fit the mould

hi
so I am applying to cambridge and have got my SAQ form, and I am trying to fill it in but since my education and qualifications are different then what it is designed for I have no idea how to answerr some questions. Basically I am swedish, did school in sweden finished 5 years ago. I now live in UK and I am studying and working. I am doing a certificate of higher education which I will finish in may 2009 and I am also doing 3 A levels by myself, no school or teaching I have just paid a college to let me sit the exams with their students. I finish my AS in January 2009 and A2 in June 2009. So now you now the details. now the questions how am I to answer this

Please give the month and year (MM/YYYY) when you left or will leave school/college

do I write when I finished "real A level equivalent" school in sweden or when I am finishing my certificate and my exams since I am not really in school?.
next

Are you currently completing qualifications at more than one school or college? If yes, please give details of the additional school/college and the qualification(s) you are taking there. (Answer max.180 characters including spaces)

yes or no I am doing the certificate at one school a university. Does the A levels count since I am not doing them in school.

If you are currently at school/college please complete the table below for the AS/A Level (or equivalent) qualifications you studied last year and those that you're currently undertaking. If you left school/college in 2008 please provide the same details

Have there been any difficulties with the teaching in any of your AS/A Level (or equivalent) subjects? (Answer max. 300 characters including spaces)

Does your school/college provide any extra lessons to support preparation for STEP or Advanced Extension Awards (AEAs) for Cambridge applicants? (Answer max. 300 characters including spaces
)

I am doing A levels but not in school!!! no teaching. All the questions presume I am doing A levels in a college. do I answer these question slike I was and then tell them in my personal statement or additional info that I am doing it by myself, which I already have on my UCAS PS. What is it that counts as the education they want me to answer these questions with, my swedish, my A-levels, or the certificate, I mean the certificate is the most complicated and highest. Oh I don't know exactly what I am getting at I am just a bit confused how I am going to be able to fill it in whitout it being completely incomprehensible. thank you for any advice
Reply 1
Email admissions at your college, they'll be able to help better than we can because they know what they want! :smile:
Reply 2
ghy56_

Please give the month and year (MM/YYYY) when you left or will leave school/college

do I write when I finished "real A level equivalent" school in sweden or when I am finishing my certificate and my exams since I am not really in school?.
next

Did you put your a levels that you are taking on your UCAS form? If so then that is the info cambridge will have so put June 09 as they will probs make an offer based on your a levels

Are you currently completing qualifications at more than one school or college? If yes, please give details of the additional school/college and the qualification(s) you are taking there. (Answer max.180 characters including spaces)

yes or no I am doing the certificate at one school a university. Does the A levels count since I am not doing them in school.

You have 180 characters, surely enough to explain you are doing two different qualifications. (Is the college the same place, not really clear from your post) I think this is so they can find out your results easier or something.

If you are currently at school/college please complete the table below for the AS/A Level (or equivalent) qualifications you studied last year and those that you're currently undertaking. If you left school/college in 2008 please provide the same details

Have there been any difficulties with the teaching in any of your AS/A Level (or equivalent) subjects? (Answer max. 300 characters including spaces)

Does your school/college provide any extra lessons to support preparation for STEP or Advanced Extension Awards (AEAs) for Cambridge applicants? (Answer max. 300 characters including spaces
)

I am doing A levels but not in school!!! no teaching. All the questions presume I am doing A levels in a college. do I answer these question slike I was and then tell them in my personal statement or additional info that I am doing it by myself, which I already have on my UCAS PS. What is it that counts as the education they want me to answer these questions with, my swedish, my A-levels, or the certificate, I mean the certificate is the most complicated and highest. Oh I don't know exactly what I am getting at I am just a bit confused how I am going to be able to fill it in whitout it being completely incomprehensible. thank you for any advice

Answer honestly, the admissions tutors will be able to comprehend it. Complete the table of the modules you are currently studying. In the difficulties section put that you are teaching yourself independently (it's hardly making it easier is it).

As you are taking a levels I assume that they will want to give you on offer on this basis rather than your swedish qualification as that was 5 years ago.

Good Luck:smile:
ghy56_
hi
so I am applying to cambridge and have got my SAQ form, and I am trying to fill it in but since my education and qualifications are different then what it is designed for I have no idea how to answerr some questions. Basically I am swedish, did school in sweden finished 5 years ago. I now live in UK and I am studying and working. I am doing a certificate of higher education which I will finish in may 2009 and I am also doing 3 A levels by myself, no school or teaching I have just paid a college to let me sit the exams with their students. I finish my AS in January 2009 and A2 in June 2009. So now you now the details. now the questions how am I to answer this

next

)

OMG exactly the same as me (though not Swedish, IB) and doing extra A levels myself etc etc

wtf with the saq?!
Reply 4
How long after you send your UCAS application do you get the SAQ?
Reply 5
it took 3 days for me to get SAQ after I sent in UCAS. I thought it was going to take weeks. Yes I know I think the SAQ form should be a bit more open to other alternative qualifications but anyway paneity your answer really helped me I think I know how I should fill it in I think. now I just have to figure out what I am going to write in my second PS.
Reply 6
Erm have you rung? If not, RING. I've done it a couple of times and they answer your questions straight away - and also know the answers, as they're the ones who've designed the SAQ

Latest

Trending

Trending