The Student Room Group

Is The AEA Worth It?

Basically, I have plans for taking the Psychology AEA this year. I've started going over things with my teacher, and although it's obviously a very challenging paper, the past papers look interesting and almost fun to answer.

My only worry is that I might not do very well in it. Would a fail in an AEA, particularly in the subject I'd like to study, put Oxford off me? (Baring in mind that I'd be applying post A-level, and I'll only apply if I get three As, obviously.) Similarly, would 'only' getting a Merit put me at a disadvantage?

On the one hand, I want do it, purely because I love Psychology and it looks interesting, but on the other hand, I don't want to put universities, particularly Oxford and the top-end ones, off if I don't do well in it.

Thanks for any advice. :smile:
Reply 1
The papers are worth doing simply because they are, as you suspect, rather fun.

If you're worried about not passing it (or the university perhaps including it in their offer, which they have been known to do on a reasonably regular basis), simply don't put it on your UCAS form. Then they won't know, until results day, when it won't matter (unless you mess up one of your A Levels but do very well in the AEA, in which case it might be a useful bargaining tool).

Win-win, really!

But do do the exam. :smile:
Reply 2
If you're applying post A-levels then surely you'll have your results before you apply anyway? You can put it down if you do well and not put it down if you don't.

Out of interest - why are you applying post A-level?
Reply 3
Just do it. Epitome is right, it is quite fun, and you certainly won't be at a disadvantage by 'only' achieving a Merit, or I should think, failing it outright. If anything, you've still chosen to do an exam that you didn't have to do, for the sake of learning, and I would think they'll see value in that.
Reply 4
If you're applying to Oxford having already sat an AEA, you MUST declare the grade (even if it's a U). And yeah, I think a U in it would put them off you a bit.
Reply 5
This has nothing to do with Oxford for me, but I was selected to do the AEA too and well, I'm doing it. Despite the extra work/three hour exam, it's always something to mention, right? I mean, 800 or so students do psychology at AS at my college, and only the top 12 got picked to do the AEA. Being part of 12/800 for me sounds pretty good regardless of the grade I'll get at the end of it :smile:
More than anything the AEA was a chance to explore my subject beyond the A level specification. It was fun...in a time limit. I think you should go for it :smile:
Reply 7
Tyraell
If you're applying post A-levels then surely you'll have your results before you apply anyway? You can put it down if you do well and not put it down if you don't.

Out of interest - why are you applying post A-level?

I've had contrasting opinions on this. I've heard some people, as you have said, say that if I don't do well in it, I don't have to tell them about it so it doesn't make any difference, but then I've heard people say what Swayum has said- that even if I fail it, I have to declare it.

From what people have said so far, I'll probably do it anyway, just for the sake of doing it and learning more about Psychology. I think I'm the only person in my Sixth Form doing an AEA this year, which worries me a little as the school doesn't seem very knowledgable in concerns to it, but my Psychology teacher is willing to put a lot of time and effort into helping me with it, which is great.

Oh, and I'm applying post A-level because my AS grades are very poor in comparison to what I think I'm able to achieve. I'd rather apply with my A-levels in hand, so I know that I'm applying to universities that I have a chance with, so if I don't get three As, I won't apply to Oxford and so I won't basically be 'wasting' a space, if you see what I mean.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!
I would have wanted to do more AEAs (in English Literature and History), but my college decided to stop all AEAs apart from the ones for the goddam science and economics students.

Pffffft.

Latest

Trending

Trending