The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Lottelo
I'm not the only one! Have you got an LSE offer (damn LSE haven't responded for me yet, the bastards, only "internal shortlist")? I just feel that I couldn't turn down UCL or LSE, because putting it simply, I have relatively small amount to gain compared to the potentially huge cost of failure. I just loved cambridge so much though . . . . and I genuinely feel that next year my application would be so much stronger (with full A levels rather than predicted, a couple of AEAs (hopefully passed), and minus a spelling mistake in my personal statement and bizarre futuristic talk about work experience, in that I had only arranged it, and had to talk about what it entailed, rather than the actual experience).

i know it's not quite the same, but there's always the option of post-grad at oxbridge. then you get to live and breathe the city with the added pro of having lived somewhere else and having experience of a different place and a different outlook!

my sister's friend desperately wanted to go to cambridge from when she was really young. she was devastated when she was rejected, so much so she did not consider reapplying because it hurt too much to go through it again. she came top of her year for english at trinity dublin, receiving an award that would fund a PhD there at any time if she ever wanted to take one! she then applied successfully to do a masters at cambridge (where she met my sister who went to city uni for her undergrad) and was thoroughly disappointed with the place. she applied to harvard and yale for her PhD and despite achieving places she chose to go back to trinity (makes sense!)

she now says she regrets the rose tinted view she had of cambridge because the reality was it didn't suit her. she's still successful, and has had the experience! so think beyond the degree, if you can, because there's still options to study there!
Reply 61
notyourpunk
just becuase the app/offer ratio is low doesnt make it all that easy. they will just bring in loads from other colleges and may not accept any of the applicants that applied direct. they have no problem accepting people who didnt apply direct. also if in one year the ratio becomes ridiculously low then loads more people will apply. for instance brasenose (one of the top places for PPE) had a ratio of 3.0 this year so i guess load smore peoplewill apply there next year

i agree - they won't accept someone just to fill places, they'll only take people who they think are able to cope with the course. there's the pool, and if necessary they'l just have a smaller intake one year.
allisandro
i agree - they won't accept someone just to fill places, they'll only take people who they think are able to cope with the course. there's the pool, and if necessary they'l just have a smaller intake one year.

You can't deny there's an effect though.
Reply 63
well being pooled twice only means one thing: you were as close to the border as possible - good enough for cambridge but unfortunate that there were so many applicants who were just that little bit better.
Reply 64
Lottelo
You can't deny there's an effect though.

of course there's less competition as there's less potentially able students. but the statistics are misleading.
Adhsur
I personally think it's a myth that other universities won't offer you a place again because they carry some kind of resentment after you didnt accept it last time. All the universities I applied to last year, I applied to this year. And each one has given me an offer again. I actually emailed York and Durham about it and they said that they don't care whether you've applied to them before and turned down their offers. The past has no bearing on your application.

Without wanting to offend you, I think it depends quite sharply on the subject. Philosophy isn't as competitive as say courses such as Economics or English or Law.

People need to consider very carefully the chance that they could end up worse off from a reapplication.

I'm currently considering one, but the *big* thing which puts me off is that another rejection will be humiliating, as opposed to disappointing. Is it too much to put on the line for one uni?
Reply 66
tomcoolinguk
Without wanting to offend you, I think it depends quite sharply on the subject. Philosophy isn't as competitive as say courses such as Economics or English or Law.

People need to consider very carefully the chance that they could end up worse off from a reapplication.

I'm currently considering one, but the *big* thing which puts me off is that another rejection will be humiliating, as opposed to disappointing. Is it too much to put on the line for one uni?

mr cooling makes another good point.
Reply 67
notyourpunk
just becuase the app/offer ratio is low doesnt make it all that easy. they will just bring in loads from other colleges and may not accept any of the applicants that applied direct. they have no problem accepting people who didnt apply direct. also if in one year the ratio becomes ridiculously low then loads more people will apply. for instance brasenose (one of the top places for PPE) had a ratio of 3.0 this year so i guess load smore peoplewill apply there next year

That's slightly reassuring, in the rejection letter the admissions tutor for Trinity said there was a chance I might get an offer from St. Peters, where I had my second interview. I doubt I'll get one though. I've been thinking along the same lines about the ratios, but in 2004 St. Peter's had a 1:1 ratio, and apparently this year it was even lower! I'm not sure what to think :confused:
Reply 68
Moosh3
That's slightly reassuring, in the rejection letter the admissions tutor for Trinity said there was a chance I might get an offer from St. Peters, where I had my second interview. I doubt I'll get one though. I've been thinking along the same lines about the ratios, but in 2004 St. Peter's had a 1:1 ratio, and apparently this year it was even lower! I'm not sure what to think :confused:

apply to a college that you havent been to before. they wont take well to you coming back i wouldnt have thought.
tomcoolinguk

Tom, having exactly the same thoughts as you. I think I've come to the conclusion that a reapplication isn't worth it solely for Oxbridge (because of the cost of a second rejection), and it would have to be based on multiple university rejections OR a change of subject. Just look at what happened to Englishstudent, he must be burning up inside.

It really hurts me to say this, because I loved Cambridge so much. Perhaps I'm slowly moving towards acceptance of the rejection.
Adhsur
I personally think it's a myth that other universities won't offer you a place again because they carry some kind of resentment after you didnt accept it last time. All the universities I applied to last year, I applied to this year. And each one has given me an offer again. I actually emailed York and Durham about it and they said that they don't care whether you've applied to them before and turned down their offers. The past has no bearing on your application.

This isn't true for everything. LSE and UCL both state that if you have rejected an offer for an Economics-related course from them before, and re-apply for an Economics-related course, you will receive an automatic rejection.

So please don't generalise - I purposely avoided applying for Economics at both the LSE and UCL as a result of this.
Reply 71
One thing that is putting me off is that I was rejected straight away rather than pooled and then rejected. However from my feedback, I think that a little more reading on certain parts of the course would improve my chances dramatically. Also I think applying to a college that don't ask for essays would also help me. Durham have given me an absolute b*$&% of an offer, that I don't even want to get, never mind think I'm going to get (Grrrrr, sometimes I wish I did A-levels), so that's my two top choices down. Of my others, I don't want to go to Edinburgh, I've gone off York, Keele doesn't seem all that great a place or course, and Abertay would be a total change of degree programmes.
If I do decide to take a gap year and reapply to uni, I might as well reapply to Cambridge I suppose. I could do some OU stuff over the next year to make sure I'm studying the right course and give me at least an introduction to uni type stuff.
*sigh* This is all so complicated.
I think there's some kind of coallition afoot around my town to persuade me to reapply - I had a twenty minute talk on how nice St Johns is from my register teacher today :s-smilie:
Reply 72
Acaila
One thing that is putting me off is that I was rejected straight away rather than pooled and then rejected. However from my feedback, I think that a little more reading on certain parts of the course would improve my chances dramatically. Also I think applying to a college that don't ask for essays would also help me. Durham have given me an absolute b*$&% of an offer, that I don't even want to get, never mind think I'm going to get (Grrrrr, sometimes I wish I did A-levels), so that's my two top choices down. Of my others, I don't want to go to Edinburgh, I've gone off York, Keele doesn't seem all that great a place or course, and Abertay would be a total change of degree programmes.
If I do decide to take a gap year and reapply to uni, I might as well reapply to Cambridge I suppose. I could do some OU stuff over the next year to make sure I'm studying the right course and give me at least an introduction to uni type stuff.
*sigh* This is all so complicated.
I think there's some kind of coallition afoot around my town to persuade me to reapply - I had a twenty minute talk on how nice St Johns is from my register teacher today :s-smilie:

You got rejected from Cam?!
Reply 73
Yup, I assumed you knew snuggly.
Reply 74
Acaila
Yup, I assumed you knew snuggly.

Nope :frown: *Big hug* Silly Cambridge. What Durham offer did you get?
Reply 75
{hugs} ABB at Advanced Higher. Yes I know that sounds strange, but Cambridge knew about the problems with one of my subjects i.e. I haven't been taught for the entire year, I haven't been set any work, I haven't been given guidelines for the project that make up half of the grade, I haven't been given any more course materials other than one website which is terrible! And the subject isn't relevant to my choice of course anyway, despite being a longtime hobby of mine (probably not anymore :rolleyes: )
Reply 76
Acaila
{hugs} ABB at Advanced Higher. Yes I know that sounds strange, but Cambridge knew about the problems with one of my subjects i.e. I haven't been taught for the entire year, I haven't been set any work, I haven't been given guidelines for the project that make up half of the grade, I haven't been given any more course materials other than one website which is terrible! And the subject isn't relevant to my choice of course anyway, despite being a longtime hobby of mine (probably not anymore :rolleyes: )

:frown: *Double triple quadruple hugs*
Reply 77
{big huggles for special Ellie}
So I'm kinda indecisive atm :frown:
Reply 78
i'd be worried about reapplying after a straight rejection too.....since a straight rejection is given only when they feel confident that a candidate is not good enough for cambridge....they probably wouldnt like to admit they were wrong the following year....so if you do reapply make sure it's not to robinson again! Work hard on correcting the things you were weak on....and who knows. But it's a big risk...double rejection must be a terrible feeling!
Willa
i'd be worried about reapplying after a straight rejection too.....since a straight rejection is given only when they feel confident that a candidate is not good enough for cambridge....they probably wouldnt like to admit they were wrong the following year....so if you do reapply make sure it's not to robinson again! Work hard on correcting the things you were weak on....and who knows. But it's a big risk...double rejection must be a terrible feeling!

The cost of failure the second time is so high :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending