The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
RobbieC
Im starting to think I should have applied to English. In terms of good unis like Imp London and Durham, my maths and physics are prob scraping the barrel, whereas I have more innate abilities in English, and even History... These are confusing times.

If I were to take a year out, it would be because Durham also reject me, and I SERIOUSLY will fail Phys and Theo Phys course, so im not doing it... Id prefer not to take a year out, though!

I had a place at the exact same course at Durham last year but the open day for the subject just confirmed that it wasnt the subject for me. I loved the Uni but the trial lecture/experiments were extremely boring. I had always had to work hard to do well in science but music and english came naturally but somehow I had been convinced by parents/school etc that an arts degree was worthless and there was no respect for the arts at all. Anyway not getting a place to study Phys and Phil at Ox made me re-think everything. I realised that the elements of philosophy of physics I was interested in were just general ideas which you could explore within any arts degree and I really wouldn't enjoy a single physics degree.

This year I am spending a gap year at music school with a place to study Music at Oxford in October. I have been so much more relaxed and happy this year - knowing that I have choosen a subject that I love and it doesn't matter where I go to do it.
Reply 141
in the english school system the cut off is in september on the first day of school, but in the french system (where i am) it is the 1st of january so i am in the year above that i should be, which makes it unfair when applying to some unis such as bristol who auto reject candidates under 18 on the first day of term!
Reply 142
I think Faboba was asked to take a gap year because Cam don't like taking students younger than 18.
Reply 143
RObTRIP
unis such as bristol who auto reject candidates under 18 on the first day of term!

I remember reading that in the prospectus! Though I'm sure they do make some exceptions. Lucky for me, I'll be an ancient 19 by the time term starts!
Reply 144
deianra
Whaaaaat. *finds her Bristol prospectus* Anyone know where it is, or can find the online version?! This is absolutely ridiculous.

It's somewhere near the front, in the blurb about their admission procedures. I'm sure they'd never reject you though, even if you were 12! :smile:
Reply 145
Bristol website
The University's entrance requirements in summary are:

1. You must be at least 17 years of age on 1 October of your year of entry to the University.

Bristol hard-copy prospectus
The University's entrance requirements in summary are:

1. You must be at least 18 years of age on 1 October of your year of entry to the University.

Make your own mind up. :rolleyes:
Reply 146
deianra
You're right, Ellie. :frown:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2005/intro/17

I'll be 25 days too young and thus will receive an automatic rejection. fun! In fact, why haven't I received one yet? Surely they have some fun computer program which goes and rejects applications automatically, just because someone was born a few days too late.

They better give me a deferred offer. Hmph.

I doubt they apply it that rigorously, I'm sure you'll get an offer!
Reply 147
argh my bad. The screenshot i got was from the 2004 prospectus. So i think they increased the age requirement from 17-18. That's really gay.
Reply 148
You've got an Ox offer anyway Meg so there's no need to worry about smeggy Bristol {hugs}
Reply 149
Back on topic: My mum got a cutting out of the Sunday Times for me that mentioned reapplications - doesn't seem to consider them a bad thing, and gave the message that if you've got your heart set on the course you should go for it.
Reply 150
Ellie4
I doubt they apply it that rigorously, I'm sure you'll get an offer!

i will be too young but i got a defferred offer of CCC, must have really wanted me

but my sister (am triplet) got auto rejected it seems :frown:
Reply 151
deianra
Crap, they deferred you? Grrr. What am I supposed to do with a deferred offer? Silly Bristol. Grr. Oh well, there goes Bristol as an insurance out of the window. It seems they really do enforce their silly rule rather strenuously! :frown:

Calm... Deep breaths... donno y ur stressing over this.. U got an Oxford offer, so there an 99.9% chance u'll go there so Bristol dosnt matter...

Btw... I dont think they'll enforce these things too stictly... I seem to know of an medic who got an offer who will be jus over 17 when he/she starts the course... so dont worry... u'll be fine
Reply 152
bOdOING2
Calm... Deep breaths... donno y ur stressing over this.. U got an Oxford offer, so there an 99.9% chance u'll go there so Bristol dosnt matter...

Btw... I dont think they'll enforce these things too stictly... I seem to know of an medic who got an offer who will be jus over 17 when he/she starts the course... so dont worry... u'll be fine

99.9% is a bit OTT though there is very little to worry about
Reply 153
Yeah some of us have more to worry about than an insurance :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending