The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Smoking and drug user tax is a bit difficult to regulate (althought I would agree with that if it was viable!) but fat tax, fine.
Reply 21
Of course not, that's so stupid. The UK average dress size for a woman is a size 16. Therefore, we'd all be paying bloody fat tax.

I say, enjoy the food! :yep:
Reply 22
The average is skewed by the uber fatties. Deport them all, more space for those of us who can be bothered to exercise and/or eat properly
Reply 23
Yes, Americans should pay extra tax
The_Goose
if you did that you'd have to have a smoking tax. and whenever someone ended up in hospital due to drinking you'd have t charge them. And if someone played a dangerous sport and broke their arm... You could never draw the line. You can nearly always argue that stuff is self inflicted.

You don't need to philosophically draw a line, you just need a couple of policies providing a clear incentive and message. By the way don't tax sports they're good for everyone and everything.
Reply 25
death.drop
i hate this whole train of thinking.

should people who go on the pill pay extra taxes because they're more at risk of cancer?

should people who engage in dangerous sports pay extra taxes because they're more at risk of broken limbs?

should people who get pregnant pay extra taxes because giving birth is a cost to the NHS?

where exactly would you like to draw the line?

edit: as i was a bit slow off the mark i'll go ahead and say no, I don't think there should be a 'fat tax'

well said :yep:

You know, OP, there are illnesses that can cause you to overeat and stuff.
Reply 26
Those illnesses account for ~2% of obesity, if I recall correctly.
manderlay in flames
You don't need to philosophically draw a line, you just need a couple of policies providing a clear incentive and message. By the way don't tax sports they're good for everyone and everything.

so what you're saying is that the extra taxes wouldn't really be to cover the strain on the NHS, they'd be to stop people being fat because you don't like it?
AmberH
Of course not, that's so stupid. The UK average dress size for a woman is a size 16. Therefore, we'd all be paying bloody fat tax.

I say, enjoy the food! :yep:

Size 16 is no exactly fat is it? My sister is a size 16 and i'd not clas her as obese or anything.
Reply 29
chingquey
What about people who drink alcohol, or take drugs?? Tax none of them or tax them all.

Alcohols already taxed quite a bit.
Reply 30
death.drop
so what you're saying is that the extra taxes wouldn't really be to cover the strain on the NHS, they'd be to stop people being fat because you don't like it?

As long as fat people impose an externality on me, they can pay for it
Reply 31
heh, they should call it "F.A.T"
All Obese people? I'm obese yet haven't used the NHS for anything obese-related. Nothing. Why should I pay extra tax for something I don't use.
And what a stupid idea.
Otherwise all the other self-inflicted things should have extra tax too.
They should pay higher train fares - they take up too much space, which results in the train being really cramped.
Reply 34
Yes definately. They should be banned from food unless they have thyroid problems or such like. Over eating is not an excuse - its sick.
Reply 35
chernij
All Obese people? I'm obese yet haven't used the NHS for anything obese-related. Nothing. Why should I pay extra tax for something I don't use.
And what a stupid idea.
Otherwise all the other self-inflicted things should have extra tax too.

You probably will though, your body will fail sooner than a healthy person's. Be it diabetes, angina, heart failure, respiratory problems...Not to mention that you impose costs besides those borne by the NHS
Reply 36
I think they should pay "fat tax" if its there fault
if its not their fault i.e. diabetic, then no
I wonder if they will ever introduce a new tax on fatty foods.
Apagg
You probably will though, your body will fail sooner than a healthy person's. Be it diabetes, angina, heart failure, respiratory problems...Not to mention that you impose costs besides those borne by the NHS

And how do you know? If I'm obese now and slowly lose weight to become "healthy", I may be worse off than I am now.

Also, seeing as the title is "obese", that means technically obese. Therefore, even body-builders are included as most of them are technically obese. They wouldn't be happy id they got taxed.

sophiekeen

I think they should pay "fat tax" if its there fault
if its not their fault i.e. diabetic, then no

Diabetes can be there fault, or it might not be. Even Type 2 Diabetes can be linked to genetics.
Reply 39
why not just privatise healthcare. Then the unemployed vagrants would die, fat people would have to work to pay for their indulgences and we would have clean, competetive hospitals.

BTW, i have never been to hospital ever, am fit, healthy and active like the rest of the population should be. Natural selection ftw!

Latest

Trending

Trending