The Student Room Group

Problem about predicted grades!!

I know there have been..erm..a couple of these threads so far, but i just want to tell you of my situation.

At AS's I got BBBC, a lot lower than i expected (partially to do with moving schools but lets not make excuses). However, the c was 5 marks off a b, and the b's were all around 15 marks off an a.

My predicted grades (i dropped one of my b subjects) are now bbc, despite speaking to my head of year last week who said that ABB would be 'achievable'. ABB is all i need for all of the courses i want to do, but anything lower and my application would not even be looked at. i think this seems a little unfair as one of my friends (at the same school) got ABBE in his AS's and has been predicted AAA. do you think my predictions are fair? and what should i do about applying as everything i want to get into are ABB =S

Oh, also i am retaking but have not entered my form yet, do you think this has something to do with my low predicted grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes go convince your teachers that you are going to work really hard this year, and moving colleges kind of affected your studies. I got BDDE and I'm trying to convince my teachers to predict me ABB (from BDE)
You just have to tell them that you are going to resit, I bet they thought you were not going to resit thats why they predicted you that. Oh and tell them that they are the grades you need.
ceciafb
I know there have been..erm..a couple of these threads so far, but i just want to tell you of my situation.

At AS's I got BBBC, a lot lower than i expected (partially to do with moving schools but lets not make excuses). However, the c was 5 marks off a b, and the b's were all around 15 marks off an a.

My predicted grades (i dropped one of my b subjects) are now bbc, despite speaking to my head of year last week who said that ABB would be 'achievable'. ABB is all i need for all of the courses i want to do, but anything lower and my application would not even be looked at. i think this seems a little unfair as one of my friends (at the same school) got ABBE in his AS's and has been predicted AAA. do you think my predictions are fair? and what should i do about applying as everything i want to get into are ABB =S

Oh, also i am retaking but have not entered my form yet, do you think this has something to do with my low predicted grades?

If you're 15 marks away from an A you shouldn't be predicted an A. It's things like that which make the predicted grades system unfair. However, the C prediction is a bit harsh
jabed786
I got BDDE and I'm trying to convince my teachers to predict me ABB (from BDE)

You just have to tell them that you are going to resit, I bet they thought you were not going to resit thats why they predicted you that. Oh and tell them that they are the grades you need.

Are you taking the piss?.... also resits aren't everything, if you couldn't do As by itself then how are you going to manage your A2 modules along with your As resits...
You should also realise that predictions aren't only based on grades. If it's obvious to your teachers that you're better than your ASs show and that they were probably just a slip up then being predicted a grade higher is justified, however, if your grades match your performance in lessons and homework etc. they have no obligation whatsoever to predict higher.

By the way alphabet man I think you're not being fair saying that being 15 marks off an A means you shouldn't be predicted one. For English I got full marks in one module, over 90 per cent for another but a D module that appeared to be dubiously marked (as results show across the school and nationally) brought it down to a middle B. If I retake that and get an A it'll shoot up to a very comfortable A overall and put me in good stead for an A at A2.
Reply 5
Are you taking the piss?.... also resits aren't everything, if you couldn't do As by itself then how are you going to manage your A2 modules along with your As resits...

because Ive dropped one subject so I have slightly less workload. I am gonna make more time to study for my exams. I have fewer family problems.

there is no way I can jump from BDE to ABB without resiting. I'd probably end up with ACD if I did. I've already started to revise my AS modules in my frees.
Reply 6
ceciafb

I do feel your predicted grades are fair. 15 marks is quite a lot, and I can only see it as a safe bet to predict you a B. Did you work hard this year? Because if you did then your teachers would be a lot lenient in predicting you higher. It also depends on what you got in your individual modules. Say you got AAD, your teacher should predict you an A as the D is obviously pulling your grades down. However, if you got BBC, then it's perfectly reasonable for your teachers to predict you a B. Just remember it's one thing getting predicted grades, but another achieving them. All the best :smile:
jabed786
because Ive dropped one subject so I have slightly less workload. I am gonna make more time to study for my exams. I have fewer family problems.

there is no way I can jump from BDE to ABB without resiting. I'd probably end up with ACD if I did. I've already started to revise my AS modules in my frees.

That's not the point though, if you can't even get a C (not trying to be harsh) at As level first time by itself then how are you going to pull it up to a B while doing resits and A2 modules. The workload doesn't get less just because you dropped one subject, A2 is harder and you will find that it the work load is equal
02mik_e
I do feel your predicted grades are fair. 15 marks is quite a lot, and I can only see it as a safe bet to predict you a B. Did you work hard this year? Because if you did then your teachers would be a lot lenient in predicting you higher. It also depends on what you got in your individual modules. Say you got AAD, your teacher should predict you an A as the D is obviously pulling your grades down. However, if you got BBC, then it's perfectly reasonable for your teachers to predict you a B. Just remember it's one thing getting predicted grades, but another achieving them. All the best :smile:

You've hit the nail on the head there. Ultimately ASs and predictions are meaningless. If you don't meet an offer you don't get in. People need to realise that even though people may be predicted deviant grades to their ASs they still need to achieve them to be accepted. If they do then it doesn't matter at all what their ASs were , they are just as worthy as anyone else.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
That's not the point though, if you can't even get a C (not trying to be harsh) at As level first time by itself then how are you going to pull it up to a B while doing resits and A2 modules. The workload doesn't get less just because you dropped one subject, A2 is harder and you will find that it the work load is equal

But if he manages to then he's just as entitled to a place as anyone else.
necessarily benevolent

By the way alphabet man I think you're not being fair saying that being 15 marks off an A means you shouldn't be predicted one. For English I got full marks in one module, over 90 per cent for another but a D module that appeared to be dubiously marked (as results show across the school and nationally) brought it down to a middle B. If I retake that and get an A it'll shoot up to a very comfortable A overall and put me in good stead for an A at A2.

lol took me a while to realise alphabet man was me :P but the thing is for you, it was only one module which took you down and so you've shown your capability. However if it is 15 marks off an A with BBC or something like that then being predicted an A is not fair.
necessarily benevolent
But if he manages to then he's just as entitled to a place as anyone else.

yea but how do you know he can manage it, he's already shown that he can't get a C at As for the subjects he wants a B in :s-smilie:... In your case your resitting one paper, that is completely different to sitting 9 resits (or so) on top of another 9
yea but how do you know he can manage it, he's already shown that he can't get a C at As for the subjects he wants a B in :s-smilie:... In your case your resitting one paper, that is completely different to sitting 9 resits (or so) on top of another 9

It doesn't matter what I think, if he manages to get offers higher than his ASs (which imo is added motivation to improve) then he needs to meet them to get a place. It's whether the OP thinks he's capable.
Reply 13
if you can't even get a C (not trying to be harsh) at As level first time by itself then how are you going to pull it up to a B while doing resits and A2 modules. The workload doesn't get less just because you dropped one subject, A2 is harder and you will find that it the work load is equal

I'm resiting 4 AS modules. Not 9.

I will mostly likely resit one A2 module because I know my AS resits will affect them a little.

But 4 modules plus 1 module resit = five not 9
I know the workload will be higher in each A2. But the reasons why I can bare the workload more is that I will have more frees each week in college.

Because I am doing accounting, the business studies finance module will be somewhat a breeze in A2. Resiting acocunting modules should be easier because in accounting you build on previous topics. So everything will be much clearer.

I am not going to regret my alevel choices like I did in the first year of college so I am more motivated.

I know you are trying to give honest and prudent advice but I believe I can jump from BDE to BBB for my AS if I work very hard. In one of my past modules I jumped from a U to a B, that must show something?

after 'redoing' my AS modules and getting BBB for AS overall, the ABB in a2 should be within my reach.
Reply 14
jabed786
I'm resiting 4 AS modules. Not 9.

I will mostly likely resit one A2 module because I know my AS resits will affect them a little.

But 4 modules plus 1 module resit = five not 9
I know the workload will be higher in each A2. But the reasons why I can bare the workload more is that I will have more frees each week in college.

Because I am doing accounting, the business studies finance module will be somewhat a breeze in A2. Resiting acocunting modules should be easier because in accounting you build on previous topics. So everything will be much clearer.

I am not going to regret my alevel choices like I did in the first year of college so I am more motivated.

I know you are trying to give honest and prudent advice but I believe I can jump from BDE to BBB for my AS if I work very hard. In one of my past modules I jumped from a U to a B, that must show something?

after 'redoing' my AS modules and getting BBB for AS overall, the ABB in a2 should be within my reach.

Lol is that what someone said? it's perfectly possible don't let anyone tell you different :hugs: Good luck!!!! :smile:
A lot of subjects are synoptic, at least to some degree, so AS work is built on at A2 and it is therefore easier to do well in Year 13. Also, the concepts are already familiar to you as you have studied them before. It's like doing GCSE work at the end of Year 12 realy; jumping effectively back a year for a certain module. The content will be that much easier.
Ignoramus
A lot of subjects are synoptic, at least to some degree, so AS work is built on at A2 and it is therefore easier to do well in Year 13. Also, the concepts are already familiar to you as you have studied them before. It's like doing GCSE work at the end of Year 12 realy; jumping effectively back a year for a certain module. The content will be that much easier.

This is so true. For A level History I got a B in AS and brought it up to an A at A2 with decent As in each module. It involved two modules which weren't exam based, the Independent Study and Coursework, and I found them quite easy tbh. The exams at A2 are definitely harder than AS though.
hey
good luck with it all but do remeber that if youre predicted ABB and all your unis give you a ABB offers and you miss it then you wont be able to get in anywhere. Your teachers are just covering yours and their backs
If you're 15 marks away from an A you shouldn't be predicted an A. It's things like that which make the predicted grades system unfair. However, the C prediction is a bit harsh

so so true

Not necessarily.

I got a B in AS physics can't remember what mark exactly but I got Bs in all my modules. To be honest I got a B because I didn't work that hard and I should really have got an A.
I got predicted an A for A level, worked a lot harder, retook all my AS modules and got an A relatively comfortable.

I agree that sometimes the predicted grade system is flawed but sometimes people don't realise how hard AS levels are so don't work and severely underachieve. If these students have the drive to do the work and have the potential to achieve the higher grade, then they could be predicted the higher grade

Latest

Trending

Trending