The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've preferred 6th year in comparison to 5th however it's not really what I hoped for, not as much independence really.

Each higher/int2/int1 gets 5 TAUGHT PERIODS
Each advanced higher gets 3 TAUGHT PERIODS and 5 studies in the library/empty classroom.

I hate the fact I get a meagre 3 taught english periods as it's not enough time to go over dissertation, class work or creative work. Five periods for a higher is okay though.
3 advanced, fully timetabled :cool:

well, except french, but the french assistant takes us on a friday, so yeah, fully timetabled really.
I do two H's and one AH. (Was originally doing 2 AH's and one H but I then decided against AH English..). So I get a lot of free time. Although I do go to the college in some of spare time now, but it's only for a few weeks.
We just chill in our 6th year room when we have free time. It's a really good laugh. And I absolutely hated 5th year so I'm just enjoying having a good time xD
Probably start using some of my free time to study when I get my uni offers back though :P
TheJeebs
3 advanced, fully timetabled :cool:

well, except french, but the french assistant takes us on a friday, so yeah, fully timetabled really.

State school?
er, yes. why?
TheJeebs
er, yes. why?

How the hell does your school have the funding to fully timetable at least 3 Advanced Highers?

Probably because you don't waste your funding on benches which end up getting bumped.
don't have a clue, it likes to play the "we're skint" card when it comes to anything else, so no idea.
Reply 87
i do 2 AH and one H since i decided to drop out of higher english.
12 free periods, which a minimum of 6 are spent in the common room
im taught for both my AH's, so no self teaching is done( i prefer it this way )

reading these posts, i guess im quite lucky that i get a teacher 6 periods a week for all my subjects
Reply 88
The 3 AH Sciences (investigations lololololol *shoots self with elephant gun*) and Higher Music.

Our school is timetabled 6 55 minute periods a day - one double period and 4 one periods. For 4 subjects we get 6 free periods a week. And no registration! We sign ourselves in :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Therefore school is 9.10am to 3.45pm for me (or 11.05am to 3.45pm, though I go in on my morning double off to get stuff done).
yeah, we're meant to sign in and out. last time i did was about june.
Reply 90
BillyLiu
The 3 AH Sciences (investigations lololololol *shoots self with elephant gun*)

Saweet, good luck with that. :biggrin:
Reply 91
We have 5 periods per week for every AH/H/Int subject, except Maths and English which have 6 + 1 supervised study.
Friday periods 5 & 6 are recreational classes such as cooking, fashion, computers etc
2 subjects now xyeah.
Reply 93
Each AH at my school has 4 periods (about 50 minutes each) of teacher time and 3 study periods.
Each H has 5 periods of teacher time and 1 study period.

My school is really wierd though. In 5th year you're allowed to take 5 subjects. Well, you have to actually. You can't take any more nor any less.
In 6th year, you are allowed to take 3 AHs or 4 Hs. Or one AH and 3 Hs. Thats the only options.

I'm in 5th year atm.
But in 6th year, the reason you are limited with courses like that is so you can do 'school service' - where you do jobs and stuff for the school to give something back to them. Sucks really...
In my school if you do an advanced higher you you only have to do 3 subjects, otherwise its four.

So i do advanced biology and two other highers. Each of the three classes has 5 teaching periods. So this added on with re and s.e I have 11 free periods. Its not as big a skive as it sounds as i do some peer tutoring and have to do my biology investigation during my free time as no class time is allocated (this is why we are allowed an extra free subject).

Overall, I dont like 6th year much, didn't live up to my expectations, really looking forward to leaving in May.
Reply 95
Omg sixth year sounds so strict at other schools.... im only in fifth year but in sixth year i will be doing three advanced highers and have between 3 and 5 teaching periods for each a week, the rest of the time we can do whatever.... you can have up to 21 free periods! I plan on sitting in the common room, and getting driving lessons, and working, and maybe some work experience!
Reply 96
acas13
Omg sixth year sounds so strict at other schools.... im only in fifth year but in sixth year i will be doing three advanced highers and have between 3 and 5 teaching periods for each a week, the rest of the time we can do whatever.... you can have up to 21 free periods! I plan on sitting in the common room, and getting driving lessons, and working, and maybe some work experience!

The end of fifth year/start of sixth is a good time IMO for medicine work experience. Between exams finishing and the summer holidays beginning I was in school for probably 4 days, the rest were spent work experiencing'

Good luck with the application though next year!
Reply 97
sjames06
The end of fifth year/start of sixth is a good time IMO for medicine work experience. Between exams finishing and the summer holidays beginning I was in school for probably 4 days, the rest were spent work experiencing'

Good luck with the application though next year!

thankyou :smile: you just helped me out in another thread too, keep this up and you might recieve some +rep, although it wont be very powerful!
at our school, next year's S6 won't have anywhere near as many free periods next year. mainly because the new head is some fast track ****** who is already a head at 40.

for the meantime, i'll enjoy having more free periods than i do actual classes.
Reply 99
I do 3 AH (Maths, Physics and History) and get taught during seven 40 minute periods each week. Normally, people take 3 AH, and then 4 compulsory periods RE, PE and PSE, and an afternoon of game each week. After that, you are expected to study in the common room or help around the school.

Latest