The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That there's no point getting your hopes up because we can't afford it (what my Mum said a few years ago).
Reply 21
You need 11 A*s to get in.
You need to speak fluent Latin.
You need at least one superpower (preferably flying).
You cannot have a girl/boy friend or social life.
You need Oxbridge blood.
Your English speaking will be assessed on a scale of Chav to Toff at Interview.
You must wear glasses to be considered.
You must walk to your college using you magical power to fight the goblins and troll that get into your way.
If Jewish you're expected to donate at least £20,000
You should consider Oxford brookes or Anglia Ruskin as alternatives if you UMS average is below 99%
You're expected you throw tomatoes at poor people.
Black people are not taken seriously.
Head of 6th form: You NEED 8A*/+ to get into Oxbridge

Friend: You need to be funny at the interview to get an offer

Teacher: Critical Thinking is crucial for Oxbridge
Reply 23
bobx2001
You're English will be assessed on a scale of Chav to Toff at Interview.

We all know which side of the coin you fall on, then.
A "let's laugh at people who know less about Oxbridge than use" topic. Classy.

EDIT: What the hell, I'm not above this. My form tutor saying "You have to smarten up for you interview. You have to play the game." My arse...
tommm
What's the most ignorant/false/downright imbecilic thing you've been told about Oxbridge?

They told me Oxbridge are better than LSE.

I just made that up to start a debate so calm down. :p:
Reply 26
It's a bridge that Oxes use to cross water.
Reply 27
there are working class students there.
Reply 28
v1oXx-
It's a bridge that Oxes use to cross water.

lol i like that one
Reply 29
The Strangest Quark
That there's no point getting your hopes up because we can't afford it (what my Mum said a few years ago).

Lol, and you got in. Can I ask, what GCSEs did you get?
Reply 30
That you have to be able to trace your heritage to the Royal family.-seriously
Reply 31
The two worst ones are:
"If you apply to Oxbridge you'll automatically get rejected from ________."
"If you apply to ________ you'll automatically get rejected from Oxbridge."

Then there are those who say that you have to be loaded to go to Oxford or Cambridge, despite the relatively subsidised accomodation, cheap catered stuff and huge libraries rendering the need to buy loads of textbooks almost obsolete... obviously some, but not all.
Reply 32
Click here, type 'Oxbridge' into the relevant box, and press 'search': you'll have your answer in a matter of milliseconds.
Profesh
Click here, type 'Oxbridge' into the relevant box, and press 'search': you'll have your answer in a matter of milliseconds.

:rofl: Great post :biggrin:
Reply 34
My Geography teacher seemed to think that Oxbridge discriminated against people with Yorkshire accents and it was therefore essential to have etiquette and public speaking lessons. Oh, and she was sure that if you got an interview they would say 'Now, tell me about a Banana'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0sqRMzkwo

That this is the typical Oxbridge interview. :rofl:
Reply 36
necessarily benevolent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0sqRMzkwo

That this is the typical Oxbridge interview. :rofl:

Haha! :biggrin:
Reply 37
I've been told that you don't get accepted into oxbridge because of what you know. You only get accepted on the basis of who you are and who you know. Yeah right!
Reply 38
kinglrb
I've been told that you don't get accepted into oxbridge because of what you know. You only get accepted on the basis of who you are and who you know. Yeah right!

old boys club?

never.....
Reply 39
That if you didn't get As in every single module and over 90% in everything you wouldn't even get an interview...that was my friend.
My little sister thought that 'Oxbridge' was a reject place where all the people who weren't quite good enough for Oxford or Cambridge went :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending