The Student Room Group

Is pharmacy considered a science course or medical course??

I am an considering becoming an international student to the United Kingdom. I am looking at my choices for a pharmacy course. All the tuition prices are very broad, just by art, sciences, and medical courses. I really want to know is pharamcy considered a science course or a medical course? Then I will be able to know how much the university will cost me. Thanks!!
Reply 1
Your university should give you tuition fees by specific course, not faculty.
Reply 2
aria57
Your university should give you tuition fees by specific course, not faculty.

:ditto:

However IMO its a science course and it is certainly classed as a science at Reading University. It could be different at others which have a med school though so just contact the unis you are interested in and ask.
Reply 3
Pharmacy is considered a science course by the government and therefore i imagine the tuition fees will be set out as such. Hence no NHS grants either.

However, for all those who practice pharmacy and study it will tell you its a very clinical based course and should be recognised as such. The RPSGB, BPSA, and other bodies are trying to get the government to open its eyes.

Also, are you hoping to practice over here or back in the USA when you're finished?
Reply 4
I am planning on practicing in the USA when I am finished, but then again I am not one hundred percent sure.

Since I will have a foreign degree from the UK, in order to practice in the USA I have to have at least a five year pharmacy course. Cardiff is one of a few that have a 5 year degree.
Reply 5
If you do pharmacy over here you have to do a 2 year conversion course to study in the USA without supervision.

Also, the 5 year course at Cardiff has a preliminary year. Which is aimed at those people who do not have the grades to go straight onto the 4 year course.
Reply 6
I do not get what is meant by the 2 year conversion course to study in the USA without supervision..
What does that mean??

If I want to work in the USA with my foreign degree I have to have a 5 year degree.
Reply 7
If you do the British MPharm (4 years) you have to do a course in the USA for two years to allow you to legally, and fully, practice as a pharmacist over there. Or at least that's what an American pharmacy student told us at a pharmacy student conference the other year.

There are no 5 year pharmacy degrees, they are all 4 years. The five years may include the preregistration (training) year that British pharmacists must do to legally practice as a pharmacist.
Reply 8
Pharmacy is a science course.. period... just like biological sciences.. human biology, biochemistry and the like :biggrin:
Reply 9
Jez_249
Pharmacy is a science course.. period... just like biological sciences.. human biology, biochemistry and the like :biggrin:

i spy with my little eye, someone who doesn't study pharmacy. :p:
wisconsingirl
I do not get what is meant by the 2 year conversion course to study in the USA without supervision..
What does that mean??

If I want to work in the USA with my foreign degree I have to have a 5 year degree.

Take a read of this:

http://overseascareer.com/pharmacy_career/countries/pharmacist_usa.htm

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 11
lol, nope :biggrin:
But i know its more science based than medicine..
Pharmacy does not get NHS funding...
I'm basing this on internet resources btw.. and the unis which im applying to.. pharmacy=science
therefore logic tells me its a science course
Jez_249
lol, nope :biggrin:
But i know its more science based than medicine..
Pharmacy does not get NHS funding...
I'm basing this on internet resources btw.. and the unis which im applying to.. pharmacy=science
therefore logic tells me its a science course

I never said it was medicine based. I said it was clinical based.

Counseling patients, advising on medicines use, public health, sociology, illness management, diagnosis of minor ailments, prescribing - doesn't sound too science based to me.

Though, saying that we do a fair bit of science as well! Simply because a lot the clinical stuff is based on scientific principles.

The clinical stuff was not about when the NHS funding scheme was set up, hence why various bodies are trying to get this changed.
Reply 13
All of which has been newly introduced... past year or two perhaps?
The course itself generally is more science based
I never said it was.. i was merely stating a point... getting things changed means its not done yet.. therefore no NHS money

Jez
tiger swift, the 5 year rule for us is ok as they count your a levels as one year. I have contacted the board in america on this.
Jez_249
All of which has been newly introduced... past year or two perhaps?

Jez

Sorry, do you mean the clinical aspect of pharmacy has only been introduced in the past year or two?
u guys are going completely off topic to the thread. wisconsin girl as far as i know, you can go on each university's website and check the exact fee for an overseas student. for e.g. http://www.pharmacy.ac.uk/909.html
Reply 17
I have read somewhere that you should take specific exams and maybe do another year at an USA University in order to work there.
But two years ? Isn't that much ?
As for the tution fees Portishead is right : ]

Latest

Trending

Trending