Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If the universe doubled in size, would it actually be any bigger?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But then if spacetime is STRECHED, then the speed of light has also doubled
    so we might not notice any extra relativistic effects..

if you do this,

gamma = 1/[1-(V^2/c^2)]
    double V because V=x/t and x doubles
    double c because light travels twice as fast (remember V only doubles if we STRECH space, if we just add another universe sized chunk onto the side none of this will change)

new gamma = 1/{1-[(2V)^2/(2c)^2]} = 1/[1-(4V^2/4c^2)] = 1/[1-(V^2/c^2)] = old gamma

so no effect (in special relativity)
    I THINK!" :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If EVERYTHING was doubled it wouldt have changed, and it wouldt be diffrent.

Say your house was doubled, if the things inside were not then yes there would be a diffrence.

If your house AND all the things inside your house was doubled, it would not make a diffrence and you would not notice.

or somthing, i duno i just made that up

infinity x infinity = infinity
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhArJ)
    infinity x infinity = infinity
    surely...

n x n = ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    surely...

n x n = ?
    hmmm but infinity is never ending, how can you have somthing which never ends doubeld?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    surely...

n x n = ?
    But that is squaring infinity, surely it would be 2n since it would be n x 2.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    But that is squaring infinity, surely it would be 2n since it would be n x 2.
    n + n = 2n

n * n = n^2
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what does this have to do with space doubling? it is a finite length across, so why worry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhArJ)
    hmmm but infinity is never ending, how can you have somthing which never ends doubeld?
    im going to modify your post...see if it makes sense :

"hmmm but infinity is never ending, how can you have somthing which never ends"

pickler
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im going to modify your post...see if it makes sense :

pickler
    lol good point, but what about numbers? you can not have a end number, so its Infinite, isnt it? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh shyte the actual question is about the universe length doubling.
    so no, it would be the same! ie as the universe is thought be be expanding, nothing is changing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    surely...

n x n = ?
    Wasn't the thread about what would happen if the universe was doubled though, in which case it would be simply:

n + n or n x 2, both of which = 2n, not n^2.

Given the fact that what you're trying to do equates to, basically, n+n (ie. infinity plus infinity), it must be impossible*, since you can't add to an infinite series.

(*assuming that the universe is infinite - I don't know about these things, but that seems to be what the clever-sounding physics people are saying!)

ZarathustraX
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like I first said it depends if you simply add another univrseon the side, or the current one is streched to double its volume.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

pickler
    Do you mean in the temporal or spatial sense? I think something could exist without an end in time, as long as it existed outside of time (ie. outside of our universe in which time applies). But then I guess that doesn't apply to the question at hand, unless you can argue that time applies within the universe but not to the universe as a whole. You probably can't argue that...

*hoping someone more competent will pick up one of these threads*

ZarathustraX
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As yet no one had defined what they mean by bigger. The Universe has a finite amount of energy in it and if you doubled that, then the Universe would be larger than it is now. This would probably led to an open universe.

Until someone actuals defines what they are making bigger this question is completely nonsensical.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    surely...

n x n = ?
    no as you failed to understand the concept of infinity
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So conclusion,
    i) if the universe is infinite, then you are doing infinite+infinite = infinite. =>no change.

ii) if the universe is finite, consider that the universe is expanding and and we dont experience any changes => no change.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Like I first said it depends if you simply add another univrseon the side, or the current one is streched to double its volume.
    If you "added another universe" in such a way as to make them both merge together into one, then you'd be back to "adding to infinity" (if the universe was already infinite), which leads back to my earlier point.
    If you "added another universe" in such a way that really all you had was two universes next to each other, then the universe wouldn't have doubled in size anyway.

ZarathustraX
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    no as you failed to understand the concept of infinity
    There is however such a thing as "big infinity".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    Do you mean in the temporal or extended sense? I think something could exist without an end in time, as long as it existed outside of time (ie. outside of our universe in which time applies). But then I guess that doesn't apply to the question at hand, unless you can argue that time applies within the universe but not to the universe as a whole. You probably can't argue that...

*hoping someone more competent will pick up one of these threads*

ZarathustraX
    i mean in a rational sense. where you cant have something that never ends. if it doesnt end it isnt a tangible "thing"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Considering the fact the universe started off as a singularity in most theories, spatial dimensions are pretty meaningless. The universe is constantly expanding so in x time it will be so many time larger. What you surely want to change is the amount of energy the universe has and the way in which it expanded. (rate)
Updated: February 14, 2005
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.