Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If the universe doubled in size, would it actually be any bigger?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    There is though, such a thing as "big infinity".
    which is what?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i mean in a rational sense. where you cant have something that never ends. if it doesnt end it isnt a tangible "thing"
    In a rational sense? Does that mean that your ******* really is not whether it is possible for something to infinite, but whether it is possible for rational beings to comprehend infinity?

I wouldn't say that just because something "doesn't end" it necessarily follows that it "isn't a tangible thing". If something existed for an infinite amount of time, that wouldn't prevent it from having a solid, tangible physical existence (like the universe, for example). I don't think that's even the case for things that are infinite in the spatial sense.
    It's tricky to imagine something entirely infinitely extended, but take the example of a road that just went on....and on...and on....and on - an infinitely long road, if you will. Would it's length stop you from being able to walk on it? You couldn't go the whole way along, for obvious reasons, but it'd be a tangible road.

ZarathustraX
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarathustra)
    In a rational sense? Does that mean that your ******* really is not whether it is possible for something to infinite, but whether it is possible for rational beings to comprehend infinity?

I wouldn't say that just because something "doesn't end" it necessarily follows that it "isn't a tangible thing". If something existed for an infinite amount of time, that wouldn't prevent it from having a solid, tangible physical existence (like the universe, for example). I don't think that's even the case for things that are infinite in the spatial sense.
    It's tricky to imagine something entirely infinitely extended, but take the example of a road that just went on....and on...and on....and on - an infinitely long road, if you will. Would it's length stop you from being able to walk on it? You couldn't go the whole way along, for obvious reasons, but it'd be a tangible road.

ZarathustraX
    ermmmmmmmmm what about a circle?

if a road just keeps going round and round and round, then it would be infinite i think? lol :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhArJ)
    if a road just keeps going round and round and round, then it would be infinite i think?
    Yeah, and it'd still be "tangible", too. - That was my point lol (just took me a few too many lines to make it!)

ZarathustraX
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and it'd still be "tangible", too. - That was my point lol

ZarathustraX
    yeh but i put it in dumb people words
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if the universe was already infinite
    It is not. It is about 160bn light years in diameter.

If you "added another universe" in such a way that really all you had was two universes next to each other, then the universe wouldn't have doubled in size anyway.
    Well you don't add it and have a division, you add it so that the universe has doube the volume but importantly double the mass/energy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    It is not. It is about 160bn light years in diameter.
    In which case, if you doubled it it would get bigger. Even if we didn't notice. Right?

Has anyone noticed that the "similar threads" box at the end of this lists 'bigger boobs' as number one...lmao. Maybe we should skip over and tell Alice they'd get twice as big if she could only help us work out how to double the size of the universe...
    :rolleyes:

ZarathustraX
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    If the universe and everything in it doubled, tripled, quadrupled in size, would it have actually changed at all?

Of course it wouldn't have. Or would it? :hmmmm2:
    Some physicists say that the universe is infinite, others say it's a sphere (wraps around itself). If it's infinite, seems like it would not be noticable if you doubled the size.
    If it's a sphere, and the size of the sphere is constant, and the matter inside the sphere is doubled, then the gravitational forces would change.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Think, what if you doubled infinity? If infinity is completeness, wouldnt double infinity be nothing? would the universe indeed exist?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_smartie)
    Think, what if you doubled infinity? If infinity is completeness, wouldnt double infinity be nothing? would the universe indeed exist?
    Why on earth would double infinity be nothing?! :eek:

If it was infinite, it just couldn't get any bigger, end of. Attempting to add to it certainly wouldn't make it disappear though, would it...?

ZarathustraX
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my point. If infinate could not get any bigger, would it consume itself during expansion, similar to a reverse effect of the big bang? --presuming the theory is correct
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there is no reason to make me think that twice what is infinitely big is nothing. for a start, you still have what is infinitely big, and then one more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the universe cannot expand any more. My point is that if you were to cram another space the same size as the universe into the current one, (in effect compressing it) wouldnt the universal fabric crumple, therefore swallowing itself and eventually creating what i can only describe as a 'vortex' (im not a space technician, but read along my lines hear) and then leave. nothing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the universe cannot expand any more. My point is that if you were to cram another space the same size as the universe into the current one, (in effect compressing it) wouldnt the universal fabric crumple, therefore swallowing itself and eventually creating what i can only describe as a 'vortex' (im not a space technician, but read along my lines hear) and then leave. nothing
    hmmmmm but what if there is no universe?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no spoon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no spoon.
    :aetsch:
    but seriously, what if the univers is just a tiny thing in a even bigger thing and thats a tiny thing in a even bigger thingy?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The universe is expanding right now.
    If you doubled the mass/energy of the current universe without increasing the volume, well that is not what is being asked. The thing to be doubled here is size.

I'm not sure what you mean by universe fabric, but I doubt it would crumple. It would probably lead to an even faster exapansion of the universe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Some physicists say that the universe is infinite, others say it's a sphere (wraps around itself). If it's infinite, seems like it would not be noticable if you doubled the size.
    If it's a sphere, and the size of the sphere is constant, and the matter inside the sphere is doubled, then the gravitational forces would change.
    Who says the universe is infinite?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Who says the universe is infinite?
    Astronomy professor Margaret Geller of Harvard University for one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What if a plane suddenly doubled in velocity, and simultaneously this change in velocity was also added to the Earth.

Would the plane be moving any faster?
Updated: February 14, 2005
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.