The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if you go to the TSA website they have a book list that supposedly helps
our school showed us; I don't think there really is anything you can really do to prepare for it though unfortunatley
I'm doing critical thinking at school (up until the TSA at least) which is supposed to help a bit but I'm not sure that there is much to do really
I did the practice paper; about half of it is critical thinking-type questions, and about half is arithmetic and problem-solving.

I don't know about average scores or anything, you can't pass or fail. But when I got my percentage back, it said that the mean score of 153 students applying for Computer Science was about 63%. I got 78%; I don't know whether that's good or bad in comparison, it depends on the range, etc. If only they told you the mean, range, standard deviation and modal score. That would be better. Grrrrr.

Edit: I don't think the universities are looking for a particular score; I think it's just to distinguish between candidates.
i find the arithmetic questions the hardest, the critical thinking ones are ok.
Reply 5
Apparently you can get books on it; anyone know if this is true? Doubt there would be a whole book on one test really...

Yes, I've bought that book to help me prepare for the TSA and I'd recommend it.
Reply 8

Thanks - I went and bought the last copy in town (literally) earlier :smile: Looking forward to having a look at it.
Reply 9
Waheyyyy
Thanks - I went and bought the last copy in town (literally) earlier :smile: Looking forward to having a look at it.

You're welcome-good luck!
Reply 10
Does anyone know if you are allowed scrap paper in the test?
Waheyyyy
Does anyone know if you are allowed scrap paper in the test?

Lol, I hope you are. :mad:
I believe they provide it - I think its a fairly safe assumption that they will.
Reply 13
Good good. So, what sort of scores are people getting for the mock test?
Reply 14
Basically, I've got hold of a book which gives some practice questions on this but I have found the word structuring to be very very misleading and sloppy.

This means I'm getting a lot of questions wrong simply due to misinterpreting the question rather than not knowing what to do.

I'm just curious if anyone else is having a similar problem?
They're still using it as a trial so it's unlikely to make a huge difference. The research so far suggests there is no evidence that people who do well in it go on to do better in exams.
how do you know this West Wing? This is not the first time they have implemented the test , they made PPE applicats sit the TSA last year. Surely they will use it to determine who gets interviews in the same way as they use the HAT... No?
Who gets interviews? As far as I know, the TSA is at interview... :s-smilie:
Reply 18
For Oxford - this is the first year the TSA has been used if I remember rightly.

It is not sat at interviews.
TSA Cambridge is at interview but TSA Oxford is sat separately

Latest

Trending

Trending