The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Bad Points of Exeter?

I went to the Exeter Uni Open Day yesterday, and I fell in love with the place.

As a whole Exeter seems to have a lot of plus points- happy students, good for the subject I'd like to study, beautiful surroundings, the city of Exeter itself is lovely and not too far away, the accomodation all looks great, etc.

So, I ask the current (or soon to be) students of Exeter- what are it's bad points? I fear that when I was looking around, I immediately liked the place so I'm now sort of biased towards it, and I need to know if there's any thing actually wrong with it as a University. It can't be this perfect. :p:

Scroll to see replies

i'm a big believer in following your instincts....same thing happened to me when i looked round last year lol
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Yeah i agree, i was completely the same! Unfortunately, I don't think there's many bad points about Exeter.. however, I found that the accommodation is a lot more expensive than some of the other unis I applied to! Also, if you're someone who loves clubbing i've heard that Exeter isn't great for this, nightlife is good but it's more pubbing?? I dunno, that's what i've heard it's not from personal experience as i've yet to get there yet (i go next Sat - woop) i'm sure it doesn't really matter though, it is what you make of it, after all!
Reply 3
Joanne_90
Yeah i agree, i was completely the same! Unfortunately, I don't think there's many bad points about Exeter.. however, I found that the accommodation is a lot more expensive than some of the other unis I applied to! Also, if you're someone who loves clubbing i've heard that Exeter isn't great for this, nightlife is good but it's more pubbing?? I dunno, that's what i've heard it's not from personal experience as i've yet to get there yet (i go next Sat - woop) i'm sure it doesn't really matter though, it is what you make of it, after all!

Yeah, I'm really not sure as to what the 'average' accomodation costs are, but the cheapest Exeter have are around £60 a week, which I'd be quite happy with.

I wasn't sure about the club scene. I'm not sure yet if I'm a clubber or a pubber, but I'll probably be more into clubbing, so I guess that is a downside to Exeter.

Wow, managed to find a negative point! Haha.

You're right, definitely, it is what you make of it. Have you visited Exeter at all? Since it seems you have a place there.
Reply 4
ok I dont go to exeter uni but i work there and live nearby...

as for the night life, i think its ok, maybe its just cos ive always lived here and dont know any diff but there is plenty of places to go out.

Timepiece is my fave club, dont know why i just love it, has a great atmosphere. Arena is very popular, i dont like it, a bit erm 'trendy' for me but ive been and had good nights out there, the student nights there are supposed to be good but i wouldnt know i only ever go out on a fri/sat.

Imperial is the wetherspoons pub, its massive and its great just for sitting outside in the summer. There are loads of pubs to choose from though, and other clubs i havent mentioned.

Exeter is also pretty good for gigs if thats your thing, the cavern has alot of bands and does the uni. the cavern has drum and base nights etc if your into that.

so anyway, dont be put off by thinking it doesnt have a night life cos it does, but i dont know how it compares to a big city being a devonshire dumpling myself!
Reply 5
nik987
ok I dont go to exeter uni but i work there and live nearby...

as for the night life, i think its ok, maybe its just cos ive always lived here and dont know any diff but there is plenty of places to go out.

Timepiece is my fave club, dont know why i just love it, has a great atmosphere. Arena is very popular, i dont like it, a bit erm 'trendy' for me but ive been and had good nights out there, the student nights there are supposed to be good but i wouldnt know i only ever go out on a fri/sat.

Imperial is the wetherspoons pub, its massive and its great just for sitting outside in the summer. There are loads of pubs to choose from though, and other clubs i havent mentioned.

Exeter is also pretty good for gigs if thats your thing, the cavern has alot of bands and does the uni. the cavern has drum and base nights etc if your into that.

so anyway, dont be put off by thinking it doesnt have a night life cos it does, but i dont know how it compares to a big city being a devonshire dumpling myself!

We don't have nightlife here, so anything like what you've described sounds great! I don't want to be out clubbing every night, but knowing that there are a few places to go should make things more interesting.

Thanks for the info!
Reply 6
No worries, there are also the student bars like the lemongrove so yeah more than a few places!
Reply 7
the hills

yep that's about it
Reply 8
SylverStrike
Yeah, I'm really not sure as to what the 'average' accomodation costs are, but the cheapest Exeter have are around £60 a week, which I'd be quite happy with.

I wasn't sure about the club scene. I'm not sure yet if I'm a clubber or a pubber, but I'll probably be more into clubbing, so I guess that is a downside to Exeter.

accommodation can be cheap(ish) in Exeter but don't forget you're not always put in the accommodation which you apply for! also, in second year it's likely you'll be sharing a house which means your rent is likely to drop :smile:

i'm way more of a clubber than a pubber but i really don't think it's gonna matter at uni if i'm honest - wherever you are, i think the main thing is the company and the way you, yourself aproach it - how you make it. if you go to a club with a rubbish bunch of people = rubbish night. if you go to the pub with an awesome group of people = good night. so definately don't let your decision be based upon that, just be aware of what type of nightlife you're in for!
Joanne_90
accommodation can be cheap(ish) in Exeter but don't forget you're not always put in the accommodation which you apply for! also, in second year it's likely you'll be sharing a house which means your rent is likely to drop :smile:

Which can be a potential false economy when you consider the extra bills that you will be paying which were covered by the university when you were in uni accommodation. Do remember that private accommodation is largely shared bathrooms, so when they square up against University accommodation they aren't that competitive. As for compared with catered, whilst trying not to upset the catered hounds on this forum, the kind of people who live in Holland Hall could easily end up spending more per week than the extra cost of going catered in their previous year at uni.

I'm gonna go against all the awesome feeling towards Exeter and say I think the city is rubbish. The only good thing about this place is that the city is awesome. I probably look for completely different things to what others would do, though. What bothers me is that beyond the city centre, perhaps Heavitree, Marsh Barton and the big Tesco area there is little to do or go to and it makes me feel rather nauseous. Exmouth doesn't count, either, it's worse than Weston Super Mare. Probably down to the fact I'm in between Bristol and Bath so I'm spoilt for choice at home.
Yeah you don't particularly want to stray away from the City centre as there is little else of interest around.
The clubs are pretty mediocre, but as said before it's the company that makes a good night out.
Reply 11
im in a coma
Which can be a potential false economy when you consider the extra bills that you will be paying which were covered by the university when you were in uni accommodation.

i understand that but most of the people i know who have been at Exeter Uni said their rent decreasd signifcantly when they moved into their houses in second/third years..
teehee i worked on that open day =D.

Bad points? It's not perfect for peopel who want to be out clubbing 7 days a week, and also is a little rah-ey.

thats literally about it.
Reply 13
Bad points about Exeter?

How very dare you! :P

Er, I get the impression my sister who lives here full time (I'm only here during summer etc) doesn't like the lack of big clubs and goes to Bristol for weekends every now and then. My other sister also moved to Bristol for similar reasons. But if you're really into partying there's nothing stopping you from going to Bristol to stay in a travelodge for friday night or whatever. Can't think of a bad word to say about Exeter other then that really.
I havent got there yet, but the only thing ive found difficult about the application procedure and all that was applying for accomodation - generally the accomodation is very expensive, if you want to go self catered its very likely your going to have to live off campus, you could spend all year carefully deciding what accomodation to apply for but generally people dont seem to get the options they picked. Having said that - I've been placed off campus in accomodation I never even considered BUT Im very happy with where they put me now and very glad they didnt put me in any of my original options because its cheaper, seems friendly and its ensuite :smile:
Reply 15
^^ Yeah thats a good point. I havn't actually started yet but wasn't given any of the accommodation I applied for and I'm actually going to live somewhere completely opposite to what I wanted. But I'm still SO excited and cant wait to start :biggrin: :biggrin:
RyanT
Bad points about Exeter?

How very dare you! :P

Er, I get the impression my sister who lives here full time (I'm only here during summer etc) doesn't like the lack of big clubs and goes to Bristol for weekends every now and then. My other sister also moved to Bristol for similar reasons. But if you're really into partying there's nothing stopping you from going to Bristol to stay in a travelodge for friday night or whatever. Can't think of a bad word to say about Exeter other then that really.

How far away is Bristol from Exeter? I didn't realise the two were sort of close to each other!

So there's the accomodation issues, the possible lack of nightlife, and the hills. :p:
Reply 17
SylverStrike
How far away is Bristol from Exeter? I didn't realise the two were sort of close to each other!

So there's the accomodation issues, the possible lack of nightlife, and the hills. :p:

Close? about hour and a half ish approaching 2 hours depending on traffic/mode of transport.
RyanT
Close? about hour and a half ish approaching 2 hours depending on traffic/mode of transport.

That's not as far as I thought it would be! I need to work on my geography. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info!
SylverStrike

yeah they aren't that close.
i live inbetween- and i'd say exeter is far away enough for me not to feel like im at home lol.

i think exeters a beautiful place. i got the accomodation i wanted my first choice. but yeah if you were looking for a busy city scene, go to a busy city. personally that's not for me.and whilst i love bristol and bath, they still are in the countryside which is nice and nowhere near as lively as somewhere like brighton.

Latest

Trending

Trending