The Student Room Group

after cambridge

i know its a bit soon to be thinking about this seeing that we're not there yetr but i was wondering what people were thinking about doing afterwards? whether they are thinking about postgrad or jobs or the dole...
personally i want to join the army for a fewyears and then do a 2nd degree in theology and become a priest and do work abroad (possibly do a postgrad in intl development). a bit of a weird combination i know - im also quite political and have done some work for the greens but not many get eelcted so there isnt a chance of a job there?

which ones of you are going to be rich and famous in a few years time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hopefully me :P haven't started or gotten an offer yet but atleast the prospectus says that for engineering 99% had a job within 6 months and they had the highest average salary throughout whole cambridge
Reply 2
Work my way up the chain of degrees (PhD etc...) and ultimately become a professor of some sort. :redface:
Reply 3
Anything but a Computer Scientist :smile:
I'm hoping to do postgrad, definitely to MPhil and perhaps a PhD. No idea what I'd do otherwise!

What subject are you applying for, notyourpunk? Although there's not much chance of elected office with the Greens, the party still needs staff, and there are many other opportunities in that field too; not with a poltical party, but with NGOs, pressure groups, lobbyists and think tanks.
Adhsur
Work my way up the chain of degrees (PhD etc...) and ultimately become a professor of some sort. :redface:

Yeay! Me too :biggrin:

Who knows...we could be competing for jobs one day :eek:

ZarathustraX :aetsch:
Reply 6
Zarathustra
Yeay! Me too :biggrin:

Who knows...we could be competing for jobs one day :eek:

ZarathustraX :aetsch:

Christ on a bike...

Does no-one see life after philosophy..?? :eek:

I'll enjoy studying it but, yaknow, I kinda want to get out afterwards-
Get a job in something fulfilling and actually start *applying* it!
'Tis the only way :p:

Though maybe I'll warm to the idea eventually.
A postgrad is possible, but I'd never want to become a lecturer, eesh.
Reply 7
Zapsta
Anything but a Computer Scientist :smile:

oh yeah, put me down for that as well!

No seriously, I'd love to do postgrad stuff and be a professor/researcher, but that route isnt so good down the money side of things which is why I'm also tempted by work in economics or finance. Supposedly mathematics is a very employable and versatile degree so I should still have plenty of choice even at the end of my degree course.

By the way, can anyone reply discreetly or pm me if they or anyone they know is going to or even applied to churchill. Both offline and online, I've only heard of one person going to churchill, who would be JeremyG. I'm beginning to think the only reason they accepted me was because otherwise the college would be completely empty next year. Well who knows, it might be fun having a cambridge college to myself.
Adhsur

uck, rather you than me. I love academic work don't get me wrong, but the salaries are nauseating. As a post doc you can expect to get paid as much as a binman. Post doc by the by meaning after 7 odd years of studying.
how lame is that
Reply 9
foolfarian
uck, rather you than me. I love academic work don't get me wrong, but the salaries are nauseating. As a post doc you can expect to get paid as much as a binman. Post doc by the by meaning after 7 odd years of studying.
how lame is that

but its the joy of studying. better to be happy and poor than rich and bored - which most of the bankers around wher ei live seem to be. academics have a long life span and a fufilling one lacking stresses and strains that can be found in other careers
Reply 10
christ's-boy
I'm hoping to do postgrad, definitely to MPhil and perhaps a PhD. No idea what I'd do otherwise!

What subject are you applying for, notyourpunk? Although there's not much chance of elected office with the Greens, the party still needs staff, and there are many other opportunities in that field too; not with a poltical party, but with NGOs, pressure groups, lobbyists and think tanks.

Hehe SPS, what else would someone with aspirations like being a green politician and crack pot theories be studying. all the members seem to be philosophers, professors and various academics unfortunateley
hehe the greens currently employ 2 full time stff and one part time directly and about a 20 max through elected members. although it wiill be improved - we'll see hopefully there will be more PR in future years. We
crazydaveuk
Christ on a bike...

Does no-one see life after philosophy..?? :eek:

I'll enjoy studying it but, yaknow, I kinda want to get out afterwards-
Get a job in something fulfilling and actually start *applying* it!
'Tis the only way :p:

Though maybe I'll warm to the idea eventually.
A postgrad is possible, but I'd never want to become a lecturer, eesh.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave dear, I think we may be about to seriously fall out! You want to APPLY philosophy?

The most wonderfully theoretical, non-vocational, abstract, beautiful thing in the world, and you want to go and make it do something USEFUL!?

You damned utilitarian, you! :vmad:

ZarathustraX (*not very practically-minded*)

(Love you really! :handkiss: )
Zarathustra
The most wonderfully theoretical, non-vocational, abstract, beautiful thing in the world, and you want to go and make it do something USEFUL!?

...And you're taking *such* marvellous steps to fight the
"lofty minded layabout" image of philosophers, there!

Oh deary, deary me. :rolleyes:

You just need a quick slap to snap out of this endless academia,
and you'll be down the pit earning an honest wage in no time..!
Reply 13
This question has been exercising me a great deal of late actually. As I'd sooner die than enter the City or one of the Professions, I imagine that I shall take the B.Phil. and D.Phil. at Oxford after my degree at Cambridge; thence I shall go to America for a little while as a post-doc research fellow and associate professor; and finally I'll return to Britain, where I shall no doubt live a shabby yet genteel existence as an academic and man of letters.
svidrigailov
This question has been exercising me a great deal of late actually. As I'd sooner die than enter the City or one of the Professions, I imagine that I shall take the B.Phil. and D.Phil. at Oxford after my degree at Cambridge; thence I shall go to America for a little while as a post-doc research fellow and associate professor; and finally I'll return to Britain, where I shall no doubt live a shabby yet genteel existence as an academic and man of letters.

That sounds great, good for you :smile:

Doesn't that just sound lovely, Dave?
*ducks*

ZarathustraX

EDIT: What's your subject!?
Reply 15
Erm. Can I be the third person to add my name to the "Professor of Philosophy" ambition over here? Really, that is my dream, although if that doesn't work out I'll do a conversion course in Law and become a rich lawyer (oh god).

Either way, not thinking too far ahead yet, just wanting to get the grades to study at Cambs first, then enjoying Philosophy at the uni, whilst getting a good degree (2.1 or 1.1 ideally!).

Apparently you can work for M15 if you're a Cambridge graduate - something that sounds *very* interesting to me, albeit life-threatening :wink:. I read it somewhere, but I'm not entirely sure how true that is?! Might become a boring old Civil Servant/Lawyer too...
Reply 16
Reema
Erm. Can I be the third person to add my name to the "Professor of Philosophy" ambition over here? Really, that is my dream, although if that doesn't work out I'll do a conversion course in Law and become a rich lawyer (oh god).

Either way, not thinking too far ahead yet, just wanting to get the grades to study at Cambs first, then enjoying Philosophy at the uni, whilst getting a good degree (2.1 or 1.1 ideally!).

Apparently you can work for M15 if you're a Cambridge graduate - something that sounds *very* interesting to me, albeit life-threatening :wink:. Might become a boring old Civil Servant/Lawyer too...

One of the advantages of the Cambridge system is that you can take a different subject in part II; not only can you therefore bore people at dinner parties with tales of double firsts in philosophy and god-knows-what; but if you decide after taking part I that philosophy is not for you, you can take, say, law, in part II, which saves you the bother of taking a conversion course.

You can join MI5 no matter which university you went to, assuming you're suitably qualified. It's not particularly well paid (lower end of the civil service pay scale), and for the most part it's not as interesting as most people imagine. They have a Web site: http://www.mi5.gov.uk/ .
Zarathustra
Doesn't that just sound lovely, Dave?
*ducks*

Hrrrrmmm.... :hmpf:

It lacks direction, that's one thing,
but yes indeed it does have its charm. :biggrin:

I guess it'll be my desire to "achieve" something, or something even more stupid like "change the world", that'll have me going to get a proper job after this student lark. I'd enjoy working in marketing, perhaps, or journalism. Writing in a magazine about something I'm interested in would be great, and things like the editorials in the Times are my sort of style.

But, of course, the options are endless!
I haven't given much serious thought to the future, I admit.

Maybe I'm just avoiding your route because of my Dad-
He's the Professor of Microbacteriology at some Uni or other.
...Probably hasn't sold the idea to me that well. :p:
Reply 18
Fantastic - thank you for all that information :smile:! I already knew about taking a different subject Part II, but what I didn't know was that you could skip the conversion course...that IS interesting news. But I think I'll go through with Philosophy, somehow (I WONDER WHY?!) it appears a lot more interesting than Law :wink:.

As for M15, it's a pity it's not as interesting as most people imagine though worth a look, although to tell you the truth, pay doesn't bother me too much (why else would I consider being a professor :wink:?!). Thanks for the URL, I've been looking for it and not been able to find it.
Reply 19
OR! This is even better...

I could marry a rich man, and sit at home creating children, novels, reams of poetry and philosophy.
Mmm, not bad if you take out the "children" bit - as much as I love them, one should be fine.

Now, to find a rich husband :wink:....

Latest