The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Make sure you head up into Central America too, as these countries tend to get left off peoples lists of where to go and they just stick with North or South America, but they're beautiful and well worth the time! I went to Costa Rica, Panama and Nicaragua 3 years ago and I am desperate to go back. I am constantly checking out flights, but I keep ending up in other places in the world.

With regards to your travel jabs, check out the procedure for your health authority as some don't charge for them. When I went to Central America, I didn't have to pay for any of them as my area didn't charge, but I was in Asia this summer and needed some repeat ones and as it was term time I was in Edinburgh, and had to pay, as thats the policy there. I'd personally go for the Rabies one, as it covers you for 3 years so if you think you'll be doing any more travelling after this you may as well get it now. When you're travelling you never quite know where you'll end up, and you might say now well I'm only going to stick to the cities, but once you get there and see the beautiful rainforests you'll end up there. Dogs are fairly common animals where ever you go, and its fairly easy to accidently get bitten by one. One thing I will say about rabies, is that both times after I've had the jabs they made me really mardy for the rest of the evening, and I got really emotional and cried because my flatmates were asking me questions! So don't plan to do anything in the evening once you've had them, as they can make you grouchy. The others are alright though. Jabs are just a price you have to pay if you want to travel, think of it that way. If you want to go to these places you need to be sensible and protect yourself. The reward for going through with it is going to the best region in the world.
Bien
I'm torn between Frontier and Projects Abroad, Im worried about these as the trips arent organised in groups - my only concern at the moment! What did you do in Sri Lanka?

I had the same worries when I thought of travelling on my own! When I applied with Projects Abroad I was contacted by one of their local staff which was really good because I knew there was someone who'll answer all my questions. They were really super friendly and helpful! The support I had from them was exceptional!

I was also given email address of ppl who are going to Sri Lanka on the same time as me so i was already in touch with them.

I did combination of care work and teaching for tsunami affected children and it was such an amazing experience!!! Trust me :smile:.

Latest