The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No, that would mean chances are about 0.03.

Come on it's Oxford.. only the best are supposed to get in. If you doubt you're the best then don't bother applying.
Reply 2
Are the numbers true - I don't see why they'd lie?! But look at it in a little more context...

2008 entry: There were 129 overseas applicants. Following short-listing for the 6 available overseas quota places, 6 candidates received an offer.

2007 entry: There were 82 overseas applicants. Following short-listing for the 6 available overseas quota places, 1 candidate was made an offer.

2006 entry: There were 98 overseas applicants, of whom 44 had GCSEs or equivalent, and 35 were being educated in this country. 21 overseas applicants were short-listed for the 6 available overseas quota places and five were made offers.

2005 entry: There were 110 overseas applicants, of whom 53 had GCSEs, O-levels or equivalent, and 30 were being educated in this country. 19 overseas applicants were short-listed for the 6 available overseas quota places.

2004 entry: There were 143 overseas applicants, of whom 64 had GCSEs, O-levels or equivalent, and 37 were being educated in this country. 27 overseas applicants were short-listed for the 6 overseas quota places and all available places were filled.

So:
- 2008 entry had a high number of applicants relative to the 3 years before, you don't know what it'll be for 2009.
- If you get shortlisted the odds have then looked much better.
- In 2 of the last 3 years they didn't make all the offers they could have - so although it may be numerically competitive this doesn't suggest that the quality of the competition is invariably much super duper higher than it is for home/EU students...

If you don't apply then your chance is 0. If you do then it's higher than that! :p:
Reply 3
Cheers mate
Reply 4
I read somewhere that a lot of British students don't apply to oxbridge understanding that it is more than just a "good" university. I understand though they get a lot of applications from overseas from students who either misunderstand what oxbridge is or apply purely because its the only British university they've heard of in the media/films especially.
So glad I'm an EU student
Reply 6
How the heck are they not filling the six places out of 200 or so international applicants? Are not enough talented people applying or do you just have to be a super genius?!
Reply 7
I think its good that they dont feel obligated to take 6 just because the places exist. Is kind of strange though, you'd think they'd fill more than 1 out of 6!

Latest

Trending

Trending