The Student Room Group

Games console to uni halls?

Hey guys. Just wondering if I should take my PS3 to uni with me, move in on sat! Needed a bit of advice...obviously be nice to have it, good to play with friends, kill time whatever. But not exactly cheap, halls arent the securest of places?

What you guys thinkin?! Thankies :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Yes, definitey take it ... just keep your room locked when your not there and insure the damn thing.
Reply 2
I've taken my ps2, I have a tv in my room and just use it to play games.
Reply 3
Yuffie
I've taken my ps2, I have a tv in my room and just use it to play games.

This has been bothering me for a long time.

Why do you have a picture of Naomi Hunter (who isn't a FOXHOUND official) if your name is Yuffie? Wouldn't a picture of Yuffie be more appropriate?
Naomi Hunter is a FOXHOUND official...
Reply 5
Gourdman
This has been bothering me for a long time.

Why do you have a picture of Naomi Hunter (who isn't a FOXHOUND official) if your name is Yuffie? Wouldn't a picture of Yuffie be more appropriate?

Because:
i) Naomi Hunter is a foxhound official
ii) I prefer MGS to final fantasy but Yuffie has been my name on forums for as long as I can remember
iii) MGS artwork is better
Reply 6
Yuffie
Because:
ii) I prefer MGS to final fantasy but Yuffie has been my name on forums for as long as I can remember

The MGS artwork is pretty cool, yeah. And since when is she a FOXHOUND official? Wasn't she brought in when FOXHOUND went rogue?
Reply 7
She's the chief of Foxhound's medical staff
Gourdman
The MGS artwork is pretty cool, yeah. And since when is she a FOXHOUND official? Wasn't she brought in when FOXHOUND went rogue?

I think you should play through the MGS series again and pay attention to the storyline :p:
Reply 9
EvenStevens
I think you should play through the MGS series again and pay attention to the storyline :p:

Yeah, prior the the foxhound rebellion, i realise that. It's just a phrase under my username, it doesn't particularly mean anything. Anyway, the 3rd was the best in terms of storyline.
EvenStevens

Only really attentive people can follow the MGS storyline. To be honest, it's so convoulted and poorly written I sometimes think it wasn't designed to be followed.
It may be poorly written but there's no denying it's a brilliant story :p:
And they make brilliant games, too.

Infact, I may give MGS3 another play through riiiight noooow...
Reply 12
EvenStevens

But..but...I just have. 1-4 in 3 months (and 3 different consoles) and now I feel all depressed and sad (Its so GRIM). Don't make me go through that again.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE IT!!!

I wish I did it sooner, it's so easy to meet people when you invite them over for some Pro Evo or Guitar Hero. Obviously don't declare open season on it, but say you start talking to a few people and get bored/not sure what else to say, you can just suggest it and there you go!

Check out your room first and then definitely make sure it's covered under your room insurance.
St. Chris
Hey guys. Just wondering if I should take my PS3 to uni with me, move in on sat! Needed a bit of advice...obviously be nice to have it, good to play with friends, kill time whatever. But not exactly cheap, halls arent the securest of places?

What you guys thinkin?! Thankies :smile:

If you do take your PS3 make sure you insure it and also make sure you put it out of sight and lock your room when you go out(close windows etc).
See if you can email the isp at hall and ask if they allow online gaming with it as well. My uni doesnt seem to allow the PS3 to connect to the internet even though they say they allow it on the site.

I didnt think it was that much of a biggie until i realised i download games off the store. At the moment i have to wait till Christmas to get Wipeout HD :'(
i took me ps3 in halls it was fine, i was 7 floors up, and another one had his xbox 360
Yuffie
Because:

And now it's a picture of Xianghua. Now everything's really going to go tits up!! :shock:

On a more on-topic, but less apocalyptic, note, I took my X360 with me when I was in halls, and didn't have any problems. But I will suggest that if you're on the groundfloor, keep your window and curtains closed when you're not in, and lock your door.
Liquid Skin
See if you can email the isp at hall and ask if they allow online gaming with it as well. My uni doesnt seem to allow the PS3 to connect to the internet even though they say they allow it on the site.

I didnt think it was that much of a biggie until i realised i download games off the store. At the moment i have to wait till Christmas to get Wipeout HD :'(

Did you have to pay for the Internet at all?

See, when I was in halls, we had to pay for each computer we were using to connect to the Internet. But they said that they allowed Xbox Live (not sure if it's changed since PS3s weren't out at that point), but that you had to give the XBox an alternative MAC address (ie, the same address as the computer you normally used for the Internet).

Might be worth looking into that.
Reply 19
Dinendal Leralonde
Did you have to pay for the Internet at all?

See, when I was in halls, we had to pay for each computer we were using to connect to the Internet. But they said that they allowed Xbox Live (not sure if it's changed since PS3s weren't out at that point), but that you had to give the XBox an alternative MAC address (ie, the same address as the computer you normally used for the Internet).

Might be worth looking into that.

No, the internet's free (256k), but you can pay for upgrades to 1mb or whatever too (I'm at the same place)

Latest