The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
swingin_yoyo

I am applying for BA Geography...

That is easy to get offers for.
Just take your colored pencils with you.
Reply 2
im sure you'll get into bristol & UCL. i wouldn't expect to get into the rest though
Reply 3
What do you mean by 'expect to get in' do you mean it will be steeper competition? Or I don't really stand a chance?

Thanks for the help
You have 5 ultra competitive unis

Decide for yourself??
You are predicted AAAAB and yet are too stupid to know if you should apply to certain universities? Either you just want someone to say you are amazing or you are lying about your grades.
Reply 6
swingin_yoyo
What do you mean by 'expect to get in' do you mean it will be steeper competition? Or I don't really stand a chance?

Thanks for the help

you have a chance, you should apply, you may get in.... but you'll defo get into the others (unless you **** something up really bad)
Reply 7
Im
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
mmm i can see why you're concerned with 4A* 6A with the likes of Cambridge. But in all honesty you're not aiming too high, you've got excellent AS grades, so why not try? All the best :smile:
Reply 9
They sound fine to me. You might want to have a proper insurance choice in case something goes horribly wrong, but then there are of course alternatives if that unfortunately happened. If you're confident then you might as well go for it.
Reply 10
swingin_yoyo
Im worried about my GCSEs and AS results for places like Durham, LSE and Cambridge, and consequentially don't know if I should apply?
I don't get much advice from the careers department at my school really.

theatre studies!! thats the problem i think. its on LSE's list on unprefered subjects.... drop it! and chemo! only need 3!
Reply 11
On their open day they said departments like geography would like theatre studies, so I think the subject is ok, if its with 3 more staple subjects like maths biology and geography then hopefully that is ok....
Reply 12
You have a 1 in 4 chance of getting into Cambridge - alot of universities are 1 in 10. You won't get in if you don't apply and then you'll spend the rest of your life wandering if you might have got in if you had applied. You have nothing to loose. Go for it! Good luck! ^^
Reply 13
Thanks for all the help everyone.... its just hard to make a decision!
Just take your colored pencils with you
lol

5 AS - no wonder you dropped a bit on some modules! Full marks on geography modules is impressive though.

I can see why you might drop chemistry. I don't see why you would continue with theatre studies (the LSE blacklist may reflect unpublished bias by other admissions tutors). If you're doing it as a change from your other subjects, couldn't you achieve the same effect from extra-curricular drama?

In your position, I would drop both and re-sit the weaker biology module in january to give yourself a bit of elbow room with A2s.

You've picked the Times top 5 unis for geography (coincidence?). So, even with your strong track record, that does carry a risk. Durham, for example, received 1349 applications last year and made 585 offers (43%). For Oxford in 2007 85/299 received offers (28%). Better odds than for history or english say, but still no guarantees.

if you substituted somewhere like Leeds/Sheffield/newcastle for one of your choice, you could probably be a bit more confident of getting at least one offer.

On the other hand, there's no point applying somewhere you wouldn't want to go. In that case, it would be sensible to have a Plan B for a gap year.

Who knows, with a great personal statement/interview/whatever, you might end up with 5 offers.

good luck
Reply 15
peachmelba
lol

You've picked the Times top 5 unis for geography (coincidence?). So, even with your strong track record, that does carry a risk. Durham, for example, received 1349 applications last year and made 585 offers (43%). For Oxford in 2007 85/299 received offers (28%). Better odds than for history or english say, but still no guarantees.

Where do you find this info for Durham?
Reply 16
hi
Reply 17
swingin_yoyo
Hello all,

Am I aiming too high? HELP I want to be confident even if that means lowering all my offers.
Thank you so much for any help, just want to make a decision and stick to it!

I'm applying to do Geography at top Unis too (but a BSc) and my gcse grades and AS's are worse than yours, yet I've still generally been told to go for it. Everyone keeps saying to me, if you're confident of MEETING those offers than go for it. Everywhere but Cambridge will go on just the usual stuff, so if that all meets the criteria, and you have a great PS - why shouldn't you get an offer?

Ultimately, only apply to places you want to go. If Bristol/UCl were to offer you ABB, judging by what you've got, I can't see why you wouldn't meet that at the minimum.

Best of luck...though you've scared me now. God, I'm going to get all rejections :-/
Where do you find this info for Durham?

http://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/admindocuments/admincycle0607/

Like a lot of unis they bury it. I know you can have too much information and end up confused but personally I'd rather have the choice.
Do you still think its worth applying to the top ones (Cambridge, LSE and Durham) with my grades?

AHHH!
You've picked the Times top 5 unis for geography (coincidence?). So, even with your strong track record, that does carry a risk....

if you substituted somewhere like Leeds/Sheffield/newcastle for one of your choice, you could probably be a bit more confident of getting at least one offer.

On the other hand, there's no point applying somewhere you wouldn't want to go. In that case, it would be sensible to have a Plan B for a gap year.

On another thread for another subject someone suggested that if you don't get offers from 3 very competitive unis, you are unlikely to get offers from a 4th.
That makes sense to me, more or less.

It's your decision but I'd apply to 4 of those 5 and pick somewhere more insurance-y. it depends how conservative/aggressive you are I guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending