The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
in terms of budgeting i would surgest you count freshers week as a term on its own... that way you will not run out of money!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
Ahh I felt the same. I've got a feeling there could be more as well but I'm not sure. I seem to remember doing 3 payments last year (+ not the deposit, my dad did that) which would be college membership, purple card...and summat else. But it might not have been uni related :smile:

ponpon14
Oh dear. Considering i only have £27 to live off a week if i get into bowland standard, without all the deductions such as purple card, books and Freshers of course etc, i dont know what the hell im going to do!! :s-smilie: My summer job (if i can find one) is already going to go on the ***** deposit!

Sorry, enough ranting, its all fair charges i guess. i just wish student loans gave us £100 more each year!

I had £18 a week in the 1st term! If you've not got a lot of savings (wheyy i spend £2000 in the 1st 2 terms. Whoops!) I'd recommend sorting an overdraft soon! I've been trying to sort mine for the last term and my banks messing me around bigstyle.
Reply 22
Teao the Cat
You can earn £190 working about a week full time, so I should imagine that your summer job should cover more than that... I earn over £2000 every summer. How on earth are you stuck with £27 a week? I have £45, and I'm in Bowland Standard too...

I live as far down south as you can get, and have to pay £80 for my train ticket everytime! :frown: Also i have to pay extra rent to my parents when i am home at the xmas, easter and summer breaks to cover all of my costs! (I have a rather evil stepfather which would explain a lot!)

xprincessx
Ahh I felt the same. I've got a feeling there could be more as well but I'm not sure. I seem to remember doing 3 payments last year (+ not the deposit, my dad did that) which would be college membership, purple card...and summat else. But it might not have been uni related :smile:

I had £18 a week in the 1st term! If you've not got a lot of savings (wheyy i spend £2000 in the 1st 2 terms. Whoops!) I'd recommend sorting an overdraft soon! I've been trying to sort mine for the last term and my banks messing me around bigstyle.

How did you survive on £18 a week, is is actually possible? I dont have any savings apart from £100 whichim not aloud to touch til im 21 :frown:
Reply 23
I avoided paying my college fee until the last few days of my first year :P

All that happened was the letters got more and more professional looking the longer I left it. I do think the whole thing is a bit of a ******* joke but whatever....
ponpon14
I live as far down south as you can get, and have to pay £80 for my train ticket everytime! :frown: Also i have to pay extra rent to my parents when i am home at the xmas, easter and summer breaks to cover all of my costs! (I have a rather evil stepfather which would explain a lot!)

How did you survive on £18 a week, is is actually possible? I dont have any savings apart from £100 whichim not aloud to touch til im 21 :frown:

You can always spend longer at uni during the holidays: I do, simply because I like being here better than at home, so that avoids paying two sets of rent... as for the train tickets, I can only suggest booking in advance, and getting the cheapest possible- like splitting the journey and getting separate tickets for each leg. And a railcard, if you don't already have one (I think the natwest student account does them for free with the account)
Reply 25
Yeah, thanks for the help! I already talked to natwest about that account, and they will open mine in august, which will really help! I didnt know that you could stay a bit longer in the holidays? Do many people do it?
ponpon14
Yeah, thanks for the help! I already talked to natwest about that account, and they will open mine in august, which will really help! I didnt know that you could stay a bit longer in the holidays? Do many people do it?

The vast majority of rents on campus are 40 weeks [there are a few County ensuite ones which are 35 and don't include Easter I think] which runs from the end of September until early July inclusive of all the holidays. Technically you can stay the entire time if you want. I think quite a few international students do but the majority of home students go home at some point - for one thing they have a habit of turning power off or water off during the holidays (only for a few hours etc) for maintenance as stuff. :smile:
ponpon14

More people do at easter, I stayed an extra week and a half last easter- the first week or so there were plenty of people wandering round. The library is open for most of the holidays, so people with lots of work to do stay... the shops on campus are open too, just sometimes with reduced hours.
Reply 28
ponpon14

I didn't, back then I had plenty of savings lol, I didn't budget at all + spent it all before easter. This term I've happily had £40 a week, but I've run out now (not too bad though with it being exams...)

My best tips for not having much money though...
sort your overdraft, don't go out too much (obv lol), when you do go out, drinks lots before you go so you won't want as much while you're out, then scrounge drinks as much as poss haha :smile: foodwise, the cheapo supermarket stuff (like sainsburys basics, smartprice etc) are...alright. Anything fresh tastes fine, sainsburys basics pizzas are god (99p for a 12" one. 2 meals there! lol), basically anything with flavourings and meat isn't that nice. Don't eat much meat, it's so expensive! If you do, get either big bags of frozen stuff, or with chicken, don't get the breast meat, get thighs or something instead, it's just as nice but cheaper. Try not to go to spar or central on campus because they're expensive. Don't go clothes shopping. :| That's where my money's gone. If you can + don't feel too guilty about it, get your parents to buy you some of your stuff lol (I go home every other week, get them to pick me up + get them to buy my food aha)

Latest

Trending

Trending